My (mis)adventures in a 2007 Ford Fusion rental car - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
all grown up

Fan#: 29834
What I Drive: 2006 Toyota tacoma work truck

Points 11,191, Level 69
Points: 11,191, Level: 69 Points: 11,191, Level: 69 Points: 11,191, Level: 69
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 turbovation Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My (mis)adventures in a 2007 Ford Fusion rental car

So I took my beloved SVT to the shop to have them check out what's going on with it. I just filled up a couple days ago and I am at 88 miles and slightly below the halftank mark. Something just doesn't seem right about 160 to a tank in a 2 liter 4 cylindar focus. So they're taking a look at the beast today, but they gave me a RENTAL CAR so that I could get to school and work when I needed to.

They gave me an '07 Ford Fusion, autocraptic, tan, cloth interior, 4 cylindar engine and no ABS!

So I left the dealership in my rental car, fresh from the factory with a scant 165 miles on the odometer. The first thing I noticed was how horrible the acceleration was. I think it is a five speed automatic, but I will say that that extra gear did not do anything to help the car's performance. With the gas to the floor the Fusion took over a second and a half to register that I wanted more speed...It downshifted and took off at the brisk pace of a horse drawn carriage. With this kind of power at my fingertips, I was ready to imbelish!

I was impressed by the materials that the interior dashboard and console were made with, but the design and how they were put together left a lot to be desired. The steering wheel was hard as a rock and it felt like gripping a highlight marker. I guess maybe I'm just spoiled with my leather bound steering wheel and titanium shiftknob and stuff, but I was dually unimpressed. The dashboard had the soft japanese feel to it, but the layout was utter KREP.

I could smell rain in the air, but there was no rain on the ground or even on the windshield yet. I was driving along at about 25 miles per hour, being a good compliant citizen of the law, and I came to a stop sign and decided to test the brakes a little bit. With about 3/4 pressure on the brake pedal, all four wheels locked up and sent me into a slight leftward directional rotation before I corrected, coming to a screeching stop about 2 feet over the line. From that point on, I took stop signs a little slower in my Fusion. The lack of ABS made this car a death trap in the rain.

Now I am certainly no stranger to having wheels lock up in the rain. I locked the wheels on my White ZX3 a few times in hard stops...but those were HARD STOPS which; had I neglected to complete would, have put me into the back of another car at a decent pace. BUT Good ol' Estella (white ZX3 afformentioned) was always able to correct herself and keep me from slamming into anybody. But MY GOD was this car awful in the rain. I could hear one or two tires locking up with less than half pressure on the brake!

Not to mention the lack of power and horrible automatic transmission made it jerky and difficult to make it up a hill. I almost found myself keeping it in the "L" setting the whole time. "L" on the Fusion, replaces the "1, 2, 3" on most automatic cars. It allows the car to stay in whatever gear it is currently in..or something like that. From a stop in L the car would not shift past first gear. But on the freeway in L the car stayed in 5th gear....city streets, 3rd gear, so on and so forth. But the motor was not able to make enough power to make it up a hill that San Francisco residents would find laughable. I put it in L, and the car literally took 10 seconds to go from 25 MPH to 30 MPH. That's 5 MILES PER HOUR in 10 SECONDS...that's one mile per hour every 2 seconds in the best possible gear! UGH.

So I'm driving along in my Fusion, heading home from the coast, and I encounter a little mis-shifting...a little bit of a grind and a little rumble...just slight noises coming from the engine bay. I pull a hard left and head up another hill towards a buddies house becuase I don't want to drive this car anymore.

I parked the car in his driveway and left it running and popped the hood. Everything looked fine under the hood of this brand new '07 Fusion with (now) 175ish miles on the odometer. Everything looks good..checks out..no problems...nothing but shiny black plastic heaped together in the form of a slow-ass pathetically powered hampster wheel.

So I hopped in the car and backed it out of my friends driveway, I corrected and put the car in drive....and nothing happened. I gave the car some gas, and it moved forward...but not becuase I gave it gas..only becuase it was on a slight hill. So, freaking out a little bit, I put the car in park, shut it off, and then turned it back on. I slid it slowly into drive and took the e-brake off..but there was no power to the ground in ANY gear. So I hopped out of the car and flipped on the hazards so that the car coming directly towards me in the left lane would see me and go around..and luckily they did.

So I rolled the car down the street to the right hand sidewalk and parked it. I walked back up to my friends house and he was laughing his ass off shouting "go ford!! go ford!!". I was trying not to laugh but it was difficult..until I saw the huge puddle of red liquid 6 feet long and 3 feet wide on the driveway.

There was BRIGHT RED Tranny fluid everywhere!!! it looked like somebody murdered a dragqueen on the driveway and then dragged the body to the gutter!

Needless to say I was thoroughly DISGUSTED by this rental car. What if I had driven this car to Los Angeles?? I could'a gotten stuck in compton wit red fluid all over the side of the freeway! I'de be a target for every Crip this side of Africa.

Fortunately for me, I took out the 11.99 insurance per day policy AND the issue is not my fault, so Ford will bite the bullet on this mechanical up. I feel bad contributing to Fords 12.7 billion dollar loss but for shits sake....THIS IS NOT THE POLISH ARMY...this is AMERICA. Our ships don't sink because we don't build them out of paper! Our cars should not be blowing up before they reach the 200 mile mark.

The new Focus is just a pgymy Fusion...I fear for the future of everything Ford.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42930
FF Reputation: 1 FocusST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
its a ford, definetly expected loll.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Gan-San!

Fan#: 1411
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 focusonthefocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Um... wow. So was there a hole in the tranny? Seal broke? They didn't screw the plug back in?

Focus on the Mountain
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

Points 33,254, Level 100
Points: 33,254, Level: 100 Points: 33,254, Level: 100 Points: 33,254, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
wow interesting story, i took a fusion for a test drive and it was the v6, had nice acceration but i cant imagine it witha simple i-4 and also wtf 200 miles and the tranny oil comes out, maybe u hit sumthing?
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
all grown up

Fan#: 29834
What I Drive: 2006 Toyota tacoma work truck

Points 11,191, Level 69
Points: 11,191, Level: 69 Points: 11,191, Level: 69 Points: 11,191, Level: 69
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 turbovation Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
naw def. didn't hit anything. I'm not sure what happened. Just a piecer.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
Umm, nothing

Fan#: 3341
What I Drive: 03 Black ZX3, 09 F150

Points 4,821, Level 44
Points: 4,821, Level: 44 Points: 4,821, Level: 44 Points: 4,821, Level: 44
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Onlyford4me Good Standing Member
I was laughing my ass off. Sucks for you, but the story WAS funny.

"Government is not the solution to the problem; government is the problem."
Old 01-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
Obama Can't Gymkhana

Fan#: 36697
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 86 BMW E30, 10 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 62 WUGcatsvt Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusST View Post
its a ford, definetly expected loll.
haha I agree
gumpcrew#10
Gulf Coast Region #12 - Me-45 DSP
My Girl-451 DSPL
Old 01-30-2007, 06:29 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43089
What I Drive: '07, Titanium Grey, MKII Zetec 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 aus.spec Good Standing Member
That was a well told story, A+. Ford Australia has an immaculate reputation here, we only have a few cars from the US, namely the Ranger, Escape and the F series trucks (neither of which sell very well). Their highest selling car here, the Falcon, never says die. I think an overhaul is in order for the US by the sounds of it.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40631
What I Drive: 2007 White Cloud 9 ZX3

Points 1,994, Level 26
Points: 1,994, Level: 26 Points: 1,994, Level: 26 Points: 1,994, Level: 26
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 whitese Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus.spec View Post
That was a well told story, A+. Ford Australia has an immaculate reputation here, we only have a few cars from the US, namely the Ranger, Escape and the F series trucks (neither of which sell very well). Their highest selling car here, the Falcon, never says die. I think an overhaul is in order for the US by the sounds of it.
Do they still the use the 6 inline engine on the falcons?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17483
What I Drive: '02 Sonic Blue SVTF

FF Reputation: 4 superchop Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovation View Post
So I took my beloved SVT to the shop to have them check out what's going on with it. I just filled up a couple days ago and I am at 88 miles and slightly below the halftank mark.
LOL!!!!! Just so you know the same thing has been happenning to me in the last few weeks. I used to get roughly 19-20mpg and ever since i put on my snow tires and installed a tune my mileage has gone down the drain. But i just blame it on the snow tires/cold weather.

But if they do find a problem let us know...i'm real interested in hearing what it might be.

Ryousuke Takahashi

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.