Potential Focus owner doing some homework - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2007, 05:12 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 43194
FF Reputation: 1 ASTROdog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Potential Focus owner doing some homework

For starters, found this board on google and it's quite informative and well laid out.

Anyhow, I am in the market for a new vehicle sometime this summer (waiting for some money from an accident) and recently started looking into the Focus. I was looking for something with decent milage but I can't fit in the majority of small cars, being 6'5". I sober-cab drove a friend of the wife's Focus, and I was quite suprised that I actually fit it, so it was now on the option list.

I'll spare the novel of the details but after much research, the Focus (the 2 door hatch) is now the substantial front running candidate. However, I still have some questions before I decide if I'm going to buy new or used, and in what package if new. Hopefully someone here might know and fill me in.

My largest concern is the bundled nature of the car's order sheet. There's going to be a lot of things that end up laying around my storage that I pull out, or I'll have to get the super base model and build it up, and then the base model has some massive brick walls.

For instance:

If I don't want air conditioning, I'm stuck with the S model. If I get the S model, it doesn't even come with some of the basics such as variable speed wipers (what the heck on that one), seems to be devoid of tachometer, power windows/locks and cruise control options, and I can't get the factory rear sway bar. Most of these things I could add on myself, but it'd be a pain in the rear. However, I'm looking for a basic setup (but not unusably spartan), as I prefer it that way. Another option I'd want is a stereo delete, since most of it will be ripped out immedately for aftermarket gear. I'm not looking to keep it simple, necessarily, I just don't want a ton of factory installation to undo and/or work around.

What I was wondering if there's any a la carte process to ordering, other than the standard packages. Also, I was wondering if there's maybe a factory-spec weekend-race package like Dodge used to do with the Neons, as that would solve a lot of my problems, being spartan where it counts and optioned only where you need it (and probably not come with a radio).

If there's not, I guess I'll just work with what I can find, but I'm a few months out at least and I'm going to get all of my homework done before either putting in my order or searching dealer lots. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007, 05:22 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25871
What I Drive: 2005 liquid Grey ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 1 AK_05_ZX5 Good Standing Member
You should be able to go into a dealer ship and have them order one that is to your standerds. Tell them you want to order a car and tell them this is what i want and this is what i DONT want. THey should be able to do that. I think it takes like 2-3 mounths to get your car after that though. But I do believe you can order one the way you want it. It just has to be a special order. I know some one who did that with a Dodge PTCruiser And im sure Ford can and will do it too.

"Dont you know you never hit a lady........Kicking your ass would be a pleasure!"
NickleBack
Old 01-25-2007, 05:22 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25871
What I Drive: 2005 liquid Grey ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 1 AK_05_ZX5 Good Standing Member
By the way Welcome to the site.

"Dont you know you never hit a lady........Kicking your ass would be a pleasure!"
NickleBack
Old 01-25-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I never heard of any a-la-carte ordering on the Focus; just packages. Sounds like you want the SE trim level, which will get you the cruise and tach, but will also get you air. If you aren't too opposed to pulling it out, its a nice thing to keep on the side for when you want to sell, as a car without AC is really hard to sell. You'll have to double check those packages, as Ford may have changed them over the years since I've last looked at them.

Regarding the rear sway bar, in the past, it was easy to add a rear sway bar; it just bolted in. Now, if it wasn't factory equiped, you get a subframe that doesn't have mounting provisions. There are two options; get a new subframe, or buy a retrofit kit that clamps to the existing subframe so you can bolt it to that.

Also, if you want a hatch, it will have to be a 2007 model or earlier, because they won't be making any hatchs for the 2008 model year.

Welcome.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 29659
What I Drive: WRB WRX 2004

FF Reputation: 7 boca202 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
You might get a configuration down the ford website, bu that would be a 2007/8 model.
Get your self a ZX3 w/(A/C, 16'Rims, Electrical Package) thats the only option around besides the standard;
For what i know all ZX3's come's w/rear sway bar and tachometer, so don't get freaked out, at least is what i remember 'till 04 models.

Get a Life = Get a Hatch
Old 01-25-2007, 08:09 AM   #6
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boca202 View Post
For what i know all ZX3's come's w/rear sway bar and tachometer, so don't get freaked out, at least is what i remember 'till 04 models.
Not true anymore. To even get a tach on a ZX3, you have to get a SE with the Sport package. Sway bar is only on the SES.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31588
What I Drive: 05 InfraRed ST-T

FF Reputation: 5 bacarl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Yeah, the option bundling can be kind of a turn off, but it helps save Ford money in the long run, which is important these days. I don't believe there's any a la carte optioning, but I don't work at a dealer so I'm no expert. A quick trip to talk with a salesman will answer those questions definitively.

As has been mentioned, 08MY Foci will be available only as 4-dr sedan or 2-dr coupe, so if you want a 2-dr hatch, you'll have to scurry into a dealer during the former part of this year, or buy used. Do some research into this new 08 model, too. It includes a substantial exterior and interior appearance change, a much nicer/higher quality interior, and improved Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) characteristics. Powertrain is all carry-over.

On the topic of used though, and as far as "race-prepped" is concerned, Ford's Special Vehicles Team (SVT) produced a special high-performance Focus until 2004. It's a fantastic little package (just look at the loyal and enthusiastic owners on this site), but unfortunately for you it's loaded with options. Most people dig expensive options in small cars, but that might not agree with you as well. I agree that an SE or SES would be a good choice, and you could have fun tearing it apart to delete content you don't need.

Most importanly, if you don't already know anyone working for Ford, send me a PM and I can get you a PIN for Ford's X-Plan (friends and neighbors) that will save you at least several hundred dollars off your purchase price.

Good luck, welcome to FF, and welcome to Ford!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 43194
FF Reputation: 1 ASTROdog Good Standing Member
Thanks for all the replies!

I looked at the SVT's and it's tempting, but I don't know at this point. What I need is (mainly) a reliable good gas milage daily driver. Of course, I'm going to mess around with it... massively, however, I'm warming up to the idea of a new and warrantied vehicle. A little background on me and my plans, I am going to somewhere down the line get another project vehicle. I'm no stranger to custom vehicles and building them. Mainly, I'm going to work on the audio/visual system and suspension, and I suppose I can go get the aftermarket sways that I've seen, so the sway isn't a deal breaker. So yeah, I can add pretty much everything I need, and the A/C can just sit there as a passenger, no biggie, I was just curious to see if anyone knew of a way to do it up the way I want it right off the lot.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34404
What I Drive: 2008 Mazdaspeed3 GT

FF Reputation: 4 PhilMayfield Good Standing Member
I can tell you from an audio-video stand point that the focus is pretty easy to get around / tear apart.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:43 AM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 29659
What I Drive: WRB WRX 2004

FF Reputation: 7 boca202 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egz View Post
Not true anymore. To even get a tach on a ZX3, you have to get a SE with the Sport package. Sway bar is only on the SES.
Yeah thats why i said <2004

Get a Life = Get a Hatch

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.