No, I don't own one........yet - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2004, 08:15 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 5942
What I Drive: presently? A Saturn..BUT former driver of 1971 Datsun 510 coupe: the original rice rocket

FF Reputation: 1 ledfut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
No, I don't own one........yet

But I figured this is the place to come and "ask the owners." I'm 58 and grew up in the cradle of hot rodding civilization: California. I'm well-past the modifications stage but if you're interested, I can show you some wild old-time hot rods that me and my old car club built. (how about a Mopar B-block in a 1962 Lancer?)

I like what I've seen and read concerning the Focus coupe and although I've not test-driven an SVT, I have test-driven the ZRX(?) I want something that gets decent gas mileage and holds together. My cars get beaten and thrashed daily so that's important to me. I like a 5 or 6-speed, good handling, good punch and good looks.

So, tell me how your Focuses are holding up!

PS-I also owned the original pocket hot rod: the Datsun 510 coupe (go ask your father!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2004, 08:18 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5579
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 itsalex17 Good Standing Member
wow i have an svt and i love it, yet it only has 3k miles on it so i cant tell u how its holding up since it still has the new car smell, but it has GREAT handling, has some good pickup to it, and i jsut took a road trip in it this weekend and got 33mpg, and that was taking the grapevine at about 80mph with the ac on and i still had plenty of power.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:24 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4497
What I Drive: 2009 Black Toyota Corolla S

FF Reputation: 1 WhiteZX3 Good Standing Member
If you still are interested in modifying a car, and dont want to fork out the cash for a car that will get trashed I would reccomend a ZX3 or ZX5. My ZX3 has 56000 on it and runs great. I love it, and am able to slowly put money into it to do the mods I want to do. I can run the car to the governer (108,or 109) with the A/C on.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:39 PM   #4
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
Just Do It!!!!!!!!! (I mean get a Foci!!) ANd Welcome!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 11:09 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1511
What I Drive: 01 lx flat black

FF Reputation: 1 bacc231 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
you had a 510? sweet, id kill for one of those
Old 04-06-2004, 11:27 PM   #6
OMGVTAK!

Fan#: 151
What I Drive: '13 Taffeta White Civic Si Sedan

Points 187,964, Level 100
Points: 187,964, Level: 100 Points: 187,964, Level: 100 Points: 187,964, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 133 Chick Excellent Standing Member Chick Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (37)
You can possibly find a used SVT Focus if you look hard enough.

I have a regular 2.0 Zetec ZX3. I have almost 15K on it and no problems.
The most gas mileage I have gotten has been 35 mpg. Mine is a 5 speed.

Or you can shoot for the 2.3 Duratec engine.

If you have a theme idea for Ride of the Month or any other suggestions, please feel free to PM me!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:04 AM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
Have you checked out the Dodge? I love my car's handling and stereo, 2 things cars of yesteryear didn't have. The Dodge is great because it offers a tremendous amount of acceleration and doesn't have any other goodies, like a muscle car. Just some food for thought.
The Focus ZX3 is a great car to play with. The SVT imo (in my opinion) isn't. SVT already replaced all of the stuff a tuner would. Hell, even the shift knob is different. It would be a waste of money to get an aftermarket suspension when I already paid for one that was installed by Ford. Not that I wouldn't benefit from an aftermarket suspension.
The PZEV is the new engine that we're all raving about. In stock form the SVT rules all but a few upgrades to the PZEV and it's a whole new game. PZEVs can run low 14s in the quarter with bolt-ons.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:08 AM   #8

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Infra3sv
The PZEV is the new engine that we're all raving about.
We are, are we? Someone changed their tune pretty quick.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:01 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2059
What I Drive: SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Seb656 Good Standing Member
SVTF is a fun car to drive it gets decent milage and is decently reliable Only problem for me and will probably be for you is not enough power this could be taken care of with some FI if the money is permitting overall its a fun toy and I love mine I say Test Drive one if you like it on the test drive then its meant to be if not then you've got your answer

"Nitrous is like a hot chick with STDs... You wanna hit it, but you‘re afraid of the consequences."

My SVT Focus is #677 of 3985
Old 04-07-2004, 01:07 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by SVT4ME
We are, are we? Someone changed their tune pretty quick.
I didn't change my tune. SVT>PZEV stock but if I was going to mod I'd get the PZEV.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.