Fuel Filter info (apparently ford knows something) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2004, 08:14 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 5650
What I Drive: 2000 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 accessviolation Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Fuel Filter info (apparently ford knows something)

I went into my dealer to get an air and breather filter.

Both of the guys in there drive a focus. They then asked me how many miles on the car, when I last changed the fuel filter, and told me not to wait till every 30,000 but to change it about every 20,000 to 25,000 miles max. He said they get very plugged up and Ford won't tell them why. So they have to assume that it's basically because the filter does such a good job that it will completely clog before it should.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2004, 08:19 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 808
What I Drive: 2000 Lincoln LS V8

FF Reputation: 1 laloggia Good Standing Member
I had mine in for an oil change at 18,000 and was told I needed a fuel filter next time around. I just shrugged it off thinking that the dealer wanted to make some extra money and didn't question it. I now have 26,000 miles and still haven't had it done.....this is a very good question...anyone??? My past experiences are to change the fuel filter every 50,000 miles.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:21 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1060
FF Reputation: 1 focuszx3r Good Standing Member
I wait 70k to change my last one.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:32 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1768
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus ZX5, Twilight Blue

FF Reputation: 1 will726 Good Standing Member
My owner's manual said change it every 15,000 miles. Or maybe it said check it? Although I don't see how looking at it will help, "yep, it's still there!" Anyway, I changed it at 15,000. I work at a shop and didn't have to pay, so I didn't mind doing it.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:42 AM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

if you can't blow through it easily, it's plugged.(make sure you are blowing in the right direction, and try not to swallow any gas)

the service manual says to change it every 30,000

apparently the fuel filter has such fine micron filtration that it catches too many particles
Old 04-06-2004, 09:02 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5109
What I Drive: 2000 F150 Sport (FOR SALE), 1990 Mustang GT Convertible, 1997 GSXR750 Streetfighter

FF Reputation: 1 tjm73 Good Standing Member
This is not limited to the Focus. I had a 2000 Mustang V6 that I had to change the fuel filter in every 20,000-25,000 miles or it would run like crap. Ran like a champ after the new filter went in. Fuel filters are cheap. They're like $8 bucks I think.

I doubt Ford knows what's going on. The guys that do the work at the dealerships figure these things out. Then sometimes it trickles up to the corporate people.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:26 AM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

True, and ford couldn't tell the dealer anything if they didn't know why either. Still, ford should notify all dealers about that, especially since the fuel pump has enough problems as it is.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.