Okay, I'm an idiot... (bye bye, bumper) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Okay, I'm an idiot... (bye bye, bumper)

Today's a REALLY bad day for me. I got cocky on the roads in rainy weather and took a turn way too quickly on my ZX3, around a countryside bendy road (with tiny hills/cliffs on both sides). My Focus started fishtailing at the end of the turn, so I gently pressed the brakes and tried to steer it back on the road, but my front kept swerving rightward onto a hill at the side of the road.

The front end of my Focus grinded the edge of the hill (like a skateboard grinding a handrail) and it came to a stop sideways on the road. I stood there like a complete idiot in shock, with my car sideways on the road and mud all over the place. I put it in reverse and found the nearest parking lot to inspect my damages. I was shocked that my car was still running!

I stepped outside and found that the bumper was still in place, but was torn along the bolts within the wheel well. The small plastic grill (between the fog lights) had popped out, my horn no longer works, and my right fog light is also dead. I have absolutely no idea whether the axle and all the parts are alright, but it seems to drive fine. I'm definitely getting it checked out later.

I'll be taking it into a collision center on Tuesday to have it inspected. But from what I can tell it only seems to be cosmetic. Still, it sucks that the whole thing happened. I'm guessing that I'll need a new bumper at the least. I was wondering if it would be cheaper to get an '00-'04 sedan bumper (without fog lights) than to get another ZX3 bumper. Would it fit perfectly?

Ughhh... I'm such an idiot. In my defense I made sure there were no cars around me before I did the turn. Even when I was stuck in the middle of the road, sideways, nobody was around. But I've learned my lesson. I'm trying to make myself feel better by thinking about installing a different style bumper, just to make my ZX3 look a little different. The stock fogs sucked anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32290
What I Drive: ford focus svt 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 svtguy21 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
pics pics pics
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
Detailing Freak

Fan#: 30258
What I Drive: .

Points 16,420, Level 82
Points: 16,420, Level: 82 Points: 16,420, Level: 82 Points: 16,420, Level: 82
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 23 MattZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
get the svt bumper, they look a lot nicer
Old 01-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Turbo!!!!

Fan#: 33699
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

FF Reputation: 30 WitchCitySVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
At least your safe. You can pick up a used bumper cheap. The sedan bumper will fit on the ZX3

2003 Competition Orange SVT *Revived*
2012 Black Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ
Old 01-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe

Fan#: 2179
What I Drive: 2009 Octane Blue Pearl Lancer GTS

FF Reputation: 6 CrazyMatt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
At least you're ok.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
^Slow your roll Dirk Diggler or you're going to have be back in the hospital with broken nuts!
Old 01-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #6

Fan#: 1358
What I Drive: a car

FF Reputation: 70 HaveBlue83 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
SVT or RS/Collection FTW......here's a shot of the SVT on a blue foci....

I'd recommend it.....

Old 01-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
See that video?

Fan#: 10643
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 wakeboardjl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
you can get the svt bumper kit from ford racing for $375 plus shipping. You get the bumper, the lower lip, the fog lights and fog light mounting brackets, the horn, the lower grill, and the marker lights. It's really a good deal.
SVT Squad #162

"I'm the dude!"
Old 01-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
Bunneh Fanatic

Thanks guys. I'm not too shaken up about it. I was more worried about totalling the car than anything (insurance is already high from one previous accident). The whole situation probably wouldn't have happened if I had ABS, but I guess I'll just have to learn how and when to brake in those situations. Yes, I admit I'm a crappy newbie driver, and getting a car without ABS was probably a stupid move on my part. But I still love my Focus...

I was thinking about the SVT bumper, but I know it's also very expensive. At the moment I'm just thinking about getting a stock sedan one (without fog lights), but ONLY if it's cheaper. Otherwise another stock one I guess. But... I might also consider researching custom urethane bumpers, if they're cheaper than stock ones. Price is a big issue right now, since I still have about $5k more in payments left on my ZX3.

I guess I can take pictures later on. But I popped most of the parts back in place. You're not missing much. The bumper looks perfectly fine from the front, aside from chunks of dirt and grass stuck in every crack. The only noticeable damage is the popped out bottom plastic grill and the wheel well bolts (holding the bumper in place). If I haven't emphasized this enough before, this car is pretty damn tough!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
Bunneh Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardjl View Post
you can get the svt bumper kit from ford racing for $375 plus shipping. You get the bumper, the lower lip, the fog lights and fog light mounting brackets, the horn, the lower grill, and the marker lights. It's really a good deal.
Wow, that sounds REALLY cheap for what you get. I might actually go for that, if the Ford dealership collision center has a higher quote for the stock ZX3 bumper. Sadly I think they will end up charging me more. Is the website for that deal fordracing.com? Or are we talking about a 3rd party vendor? The picture above is making me drool. Something good might come out of this accident after all...
Old 01-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 37971
What I Drive: 2000 Silver LX

FF Reputation: 4 Silas Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardjl View Post
oh sweeet!

SEDAN REVOLUTION #14

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.