Should I ditch the my SVT??? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 12:29 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31399
What I Drive: '02 silver SVT3

FF Reputation: 1 ncslavens Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Should I ditch the my SVT???

Well, I have an all too familiar situation. So I'm hoping that some of you guys can help. My 02 SVT no has 60k miles on it. At this point I have corrected so many "plauge" problems with it on my own. The one that really has me worried is the pre TSB clutch/flywheel. It's rattling pretty good now when taking off in first gear. It's not really doing it when the car is sitting at ilde with the clutch engaged, as so many of you guys have mentioned as a symptom. I'm not afraid of preplacing the clutch financialy or flywheel. But I'm not willing to put a new getrag in it if the input shaft on the trans is screwed from the bad vibrations.

I'm pretty sure that a new trans, clutch, and flywheel will off set any monetary value that I will loose in selling the car or trading it in. So should I just trade the car in and take the hit in my wallet or should I keep it and take the hit in my wallet? I think it's going to be about the same either way.

I would really like to know if there is anyway to tell if the trans input shaft is warn beyond tollerance without tearing the whole thing apart to look at it.

I'm well aware that this car is a time bomb at this point. I just can't decide what to do. I've put soooo much work into this thing to fix all of the other '02 diseases, just toss it for a clutch or flywheel, but those getrags are expensive

Well, tell me what you guys think.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 38163
Points 2,104, Level 27
Points: 2,104, Level: 27 Points: 2,104, Level: 27 Points: 2,104, Level: 27
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 QQQQ Good Standing Member
If you are really not satisfied with the car,trade it like it is.The dealer isn't going to notice the rattle.They only look at what it's book worth is and chances are the guy is going to drive it around the building just to make sure the clutch is good.If you really like the car,do a Fidanza/clutch setup and hopefully, when you get it apart,the imput bearing is good.The Getrag is one helluva transaxle and are not really prone to those bearings going.I'll bet you will be OK.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31399
What I Drive: '02 silver SVT3

FF Reputation: 1 ncslavens Good Standing Member
Thanks QQQQ, at least that gives me some hope.

Although an 03 or 04 silver EAP would look really sexy in the drive way, and I know where there is one for sale!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
Turbo!!!!

Fan#: 33699
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

FF Reputation: 30 WitchCitySVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you know where an 04 with EAP is and you can get your hands on it without hurting your wallet too bad. I would say up grade.

2003 Competition Orange SVT *Revived*
2012 Black Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ
Old 01-04-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26230
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 5 SVT Robzor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I would say replace the clutch and keep the car. If you're past 60k and only have the typical clutch problem, you're ahead of the game as far as these cars go. A TSB clutch and FW, bought and installed, should be somewhere around $1000. That's a lot, its what I need to do next summer, but I can't find a car that drives better for the price, and SVT trade in value is a shot in the pills (read: very bad). Personally, if you don't dislike the car, I wouldnt look for a reason to replace it.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 29105
What I Drive: 2000 Dirt Brown Kona ZX3

Points 5,387, Level 47
Points: 5,387, Level: 47 Points: 5,387, Level: 47 Points: 5,387, Level: 47
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 jrgtrain Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Hey guys. I do not have an SVT, I have a00' Kona, ZX3. When I go from a standstill to accellerate, I hear a rattle. It only rattles from 1000 rpm to about 1600 rpm or so. Is this the same issue that "NCSLAVENS" has? I have been trying to figure out the problem with no success. The rattle comes from what I think is the front left of the vehicle.

Straight lines are for fast cars...Turns are for fast drivers
Old 01-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 17992
What I Drive: 95 Metro, 03 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 5 pspringe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I hear you, I have 67k on mine. I think I have now had every problem, except the disc changer getting clogged. I just put the second alternator in it and dropped it off at the dealer, I'm expecting a new trans.

The good news is my motor and trans will have less than 15 miles on them. But, I really feel like I can't trust the car on a long trip and it's a damn good thing I got a second car a while ago.

Kariertes Hemd und Samenstau, ich studier' Maschienenbau.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:06 AM   #8
CloudNine88's Man

Fan#: 39225
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 SVT Blk;'08 Mazdaspeed3 Blu

FF Reputation: 32 Focistang85 Great Standing Member
Wow, that sucks. I say, if you can find an '04 EAP, GO FOR IT!!!! The SVT is a great model, stick with it!

If I'm helpful, give me a REP Point. Click the little silver scale at the bottom of my username panel.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
Get Squashed

Fan#: 33384
What I Drive: '04 Comp. Orange SVT 3dr.

Points 79,626, Level 100
Points: 79,626, Level: 100 Points: 79,626, Level: 100 Points: 79,626, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 44 OrangeSVTguy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncslavens View Post
It's rattling pretty good now when taking off in first gear. It's not really doing it when the car is sitting at ilde with the clutch engaged, as so many of you guys have mentioned as a symptom.
what kind of rattle are we talking about, i'm getting some annoying rattle as well when taking off like something is unbalanced or something, it's also something that you can hear as well as feel. my car has 28,6oo on it. my clutch still holds strong like since day one but i just get that annoying rattle in the front end on takeoff. sorry if i hijacked your thread.

also if you can get an 03-04 silver eap... get one. it'll look good sitting next to your 02 silver non-eap svt
SVT Squad #227 || Build # 1329 of 1978 || FF ROTM Oct. 2006
Old 01-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #10
CloudNine88's Man

Fan#: 39225
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 SVT Blk;'08 Mazdaspeed3 Blu

FF Reputation: 32 Focistang85 Great Standing Member
That sucks Lee, at least it's still holding.

If I'm helpful, give me a REP Point. Click the little silver scale at the bottom of my username panel.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.