Focus Zx3 help - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 42488
What I Drive: 2000 green kona ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 pbcracker101 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus Zx3 help

I am new to this website and i hope that i am posting in the correct forum, if not feel free to let me know which i should be posting in.

I am also currently in the market for a new car, i have been looking into focus's alot lately and i have come across a particular one that i am more than likely going to purchase,(2000 zx3 auto/88k), I would appreciate any advice as to wether or not this car is a good choice for the price of +or- 4999, also being that most of you drive focus's would you also inform me of the focus' mileage life( from experience)any other comments regarding the purchasing of any focus will be very useful to me

thanks ahead of time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

wow no1?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

Points 12,236, Level 72
Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
Thats a hard call since we cant see it or know the history. If you can get the vin number i can run it abd see what Ford has on file for it.

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 01-04-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33983
What I Drive: 2007 Liquid Grey ZX4

FF Reputation: 5 akight Good Standing Member
welcome to focus fanatics!

you could check the price using kelly blue book or nada, both are pretty usefull online tools. also you might want to check consumer reports as far as reliability goes (i believe the 2000 - 2002 models may have had a few minor issues according to consumer reports?)... i think they redisigned the intake after the 2000 model year?

also i guess it depends alot on what your use for the car would be? auto- cross, track car, daily driver? my focus sedan (zetec auto) almost made it to 50,000 miles without any problems what so-ever before i wrecked it... i believe the manual transmission is more reliable than the automatic in the earlier models, but i guess its a matter of preference/need... b16sir1991 will probably be of the most help since he can run the vin number but i hope this is of some help and good luck on finding your focus, if you have any other questions or need more information just let us know
Old 01-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36319
What I Drive: 00 focus zx3, 94 miata

FF Reputation: 11 yahoo1z Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i think $4000 would be a fair price for that focus. the 2000 zx3 is not very good in terms of reliability, but its a very fun car to drive.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
With the mileage and year model you posted, I honestly don't think it's worth that price. For about $2000-$3000 more you could get an '01 or '02 model with around 50k miles. Although I'd highly recommend saving up and getting an '02 or later model (fewer recalls/issues). I've found that the price difference between '01-'03 generally remain at the same range. So you could probably find a better deal for a later year model eventually.

And I guess my taste in mileage tolerance on pre-owned vehicles is more restricted, because I tend to drive A LOT and for longer distances. I bought my '02 ZX3 with 28k miles on it back in October. I'm already up to 35k miles. I'm not expecting to drive it for more than 4-5 years, even though it'll probably last longer. But I guess your accepted mileage for pre-owned cars varies from your driving expectations. Best of luck on your purchase!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

thanx much for the advice, btw the vehicle has a clean history with 2 owners( atleast through carfax that is)
Old 01-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcracker101 View Post
thanx much for the advice, btw the vehicle has a clean history with 2 owners( atleast through carfax that is)
Don't rely too heavily on Carfax. It's way too easy to cover up body repair work. When I went shopping for a Focus last summer, I ran into two Focuses that had a 100% clear history (both 2001 models)...

The first one had a huge dent straight down the middle of the trunk lid and bumper. The interior trim plastic was also popped out. I asked the salesman why it was like that. He just smiled and said with a straight face that it was regular wear and tear, and that it was in good condition for the year model it was. I couldn't believe my ears! The initial price (set at $6000) also seemed suspicous. Heheh... but there you have it!

I had a similar story with the second 2001 model I checked out, except it was the passenger side B pillar with the plastic trim that had been popped out. And the passenger side inside seam of the trunk looked like it had been welded. The gas lid also appeared to be slightly warped and loose. There was clear evidence of an accident, despite a clear Carfax report. I'm sure the dealership was well aware of it, but technically they can say it has a clear history due to Carfax, even though I knew for a fact from a quick inspection it did not.

So yeah, be careful about that. Take as much time as you need to check every square inch of the car you can. When you've finally made your purchase, take it straight to a reputable mechanic and have them inspect it too. It's better to be safe than sorry. Carfax is just the first line of defense from being ripped off, and not a very good one at that (at least from my experience).

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.