Yes another swap question - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18989
What I Drive: 2003 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bruinsh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Arrow Yes another swap question

im thinkin about trying to find a beater car and drop a diesel engine into it. What problems might happen? i know i would have to purge the gas tank and lines to get rid of any let over gas but do you think this would be an easy converstion? I want to buy the kit that makes the car run off strained vegie oil so i could get mad miles for cheap. I am thinkin about buying a cheap focus or car like that and putting a getta diesel engine into it. what does everyone think.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Why convert? Why not look for a VW Rabbit or an old Mercedes or something that's already a deisel?
I saw..."Dirty Jobs" (?) over the weekend (Discovery Channel). They were running veggie oil in an '82 Nissan (maybe Mazda) diesel pick-up. The dirty job part was that in exchange for the oil he had to clean the deep fryer at the Mexican restaurant <g>
Old 01-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
Focus Addict

ive looked on ebay and all the small cars that are diesel are all about 10,000$. I could buy a old focus for about 1,000$ and put in a new diesel engine for less. I heard about that show but most places like wendys or McD has to change their oil about every 3 days. Plus they have to pay to have it taken away because its hazorist material. So those fast food places would love to get rid of their oil.... they just put it in a oil drum and then i would take it and strain it
Old 01-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Well, I see your point there. I think the easiest thing would be working with a rear wheel drive set up... dropping a VW diesel into a Focus (or something else like that) would leave you dealing with a bunch of suspension and drivetrain issues (alignments especially).
What should be even easier would be getting a VW diesel and putting it into the same kind of VW that you've pulled the gas engine out of. Mixing and matching would be a huge hassle...
Old 01-01-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
Points 11,708, Level 71
Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
BTW, once you clean the oil you can just run it directly into the engine without any modifications. In colder weather its usually a good idea to mix it 50/50 with regular diesel or install a fuel tank heater to keep the oil from turning into jello.

I think the biggest problem would be the ECU and the gauges. You could look into a TDCi Duratorq engine out of a Euro Focus, see if maybe you could get one off of ebay.co.uk...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-TDC...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-01-2007, 11:26 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaAddict View Post
BTW, once you clean the oil you can just run it directly into the engine without any modifications. In colder weather its usually a good idea to mix it 50/50 with regular diesel or install a fuel tank heater to keep the oil from turning into jello.

I think the biggest problem would be the ECU and the gauges. You could look into a TDCi Duratorq engine out of a Euro Focus, see if maybe you could get one off of ebay.co.uk...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-TDC...QQcmdZViewItem
the kit im looking into comes with a heatercoil aroung the "oil tank" which keeps it liquid. I have looked into it for a decent time so the bio-diesel background i have down. That engine was exactly what i was thinkin on using cause in europe most car models have the option of comming in diesel. As far as the ECU, what options could i use? I know a diesels engine runs lower rmp but why would I have to worry about the guages?? I would love to have one of the only diesel focuses in the country and even more it would run on oil. any help or input would be great
Old 01-02-2007, 12:05 AM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
Points 11,708, Level 71
Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
To get that to run in a US Focus you'd either need a Euro diesel ECU and the corresponding gauge cluster or some form of stand-alone engine management. I think that by the time you'd get all the parts for this swap and get it running you would've been better off just buying a used VW Golf diesel...
Old 01-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #8
Focus Addict

i know there are some euro focus owners on the boards, does anyone know of any websites that sell new euro engines like the one im looking for?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:37 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 27739
What I Drive: '06 silver ST

Points 6,958, Level 55
Points: 6,958, Level: 55 Points: 6,958, Level: 55 Points: 6,958, Level: 55
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 11 Svtzx555 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Doesn't sound like its even worth the effort. Just buy something with a diesel already in it....there is this used car lot down the street from my job that has 2 or 3 1980 model Mercedes' for like $2300-$3000. You'll end up spending tons of cash when it really just doesn't sound feasible.
Gumpcrew#7

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_07ninja View Post
Svtzx555-3 to Sn4ckm4st3r-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnFocus View Post
Yea, I'll go .080 over on his face.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.