F150 dropped a duce! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31399
What I Drive: '02 silver SVT3

FF Reputation: 1 ncslavens Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
F150 dropped a duce!

Yeah, I think I'm pretty much done with Ford. Their late model cars and trucks anyway. I'm out in CA on Christmas vacation and my dad calls me and says that the transmission is going out again on my F150. If I decide to replace it, this will be it's third one in 168k miles. He's been driving it for farm chores while I'm gone. This kind of work would normally be done with my '92 F250. It just so happens that I have it in the shed tore down, going through a thorough rebuild. (motor, trans, both diffs, u joints and too much more to list)

The 250 is having all of this done at 270k miles. Nothing was actualy broken, but I pull 16,000 lb loads with it on a regular basis. The 250 owes me nothing in the manor that it has been the most reliable truck we have ever owned. The F150 is a completely different story on the other hand. Payload have never exceded 1000lbs and it has never pulled a trailer with more than 1500 lbs in it's life. The 5.4 has had numerous problems, rear end has gone out twice, and it's asking for a third transmission.

So it's time to say good-bye to it. Sad to say but I also feel it may be time to say good-bye to Ford all together. All of our Fords (only brand I've ever oowned, and I've had a lot of them) from pre '96 are great, reliable predictable vehicles. So, I'm in the market for a new truck. I have been thinking about getting a 3/4 ton Dodge from '92-98 with the Cummings turbo diesel. I'm also considering a 3/4 or 1 ton Ford (pre 98) with the 7.3 diesel (w/turbo, if I can find one).

Oh Toyota, why do't you sell a 1 ton or 3/4 truck in th US????

I know there are some other truck guys on here, tell me what you think about the Dodge diesels VS Ford Diesels. I have only one diesel truck, a 94 International Loadstar tri-axle. It does have a Ford 7.3 Turbo diesel in it. It has never had a problem but I have only 16k miles on it, so I have no idea about long term reliability.

Thanks guys

...end of novel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39219
What I Drive: 2007 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Rand Good Standing Member
Personally I wouldnt touch the new ford 6.0
maybe find a 2002 or 2003 ordered with the 7.3

Dodge the engine is great.. not sure about the rest of the truck.
chevy.. I'm not impressed with a turbo diesel that has iron block and aluminum head. Thats just asking for trouble.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah, that's why I'm not even considering a GM product. Their diesel platforms just suck.

I have looked into the pre '04 with the 7.3 td (ford) but in that case, it's not the motor that i'm worried about. It's the rest of the truck that scares me. I have several neighboring farmers with Dodges w/cummings td's and the worst problem any one has ever had with them is the fuel shut off solenoid. I can live with that. They speak so highly of them that you would think that they are the king of all trucks or something.

From military experience, I have become very familiar with Cummings engines all together. I have also had many ford trucks and maintained all of them myself. So, I'm very familiar with 86-96 ford platforms. I can generally diagnose a problem within a few minutes on these trucks.

So, what do I do? Go with the platform that I'm familiar with and Motor that I'm not? Or, do I go with the platform that I'm not familiar with and the engine that I know like the back of my hand?

I guess I could just get a Cummings TD and throw it in 96 F250. That would be the best of both worlds.

I'm totally torn on this
Old 12-30-2006, 11:34 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 42373
FF Reputation: 1 Lard@$$ Good Standing Member
Don't throw out the GM idea just yet, at least untill you drive something with the latest 6.6 in it. That is one impressive engine.

I've got a 6.0PSD right now and It has really been a lemon at first. I think its been 1.5 years since its been to the dealer, but in the first year I had it it was there at least every 6 weeks. So far after the last EGR valve redesign its been reliable.
If I had to do it again, I think I would get the Cummins with the 6 speed. The only thing that I'm really impressed with on my Ford is the 5R110 5 speed automatic. It is one slick tranny. It works so good I'm impressed with it every time I tow anything. Other than that its nothing special. I have always been a big fan of the 5.9 Cummins, and its a much more "bulletproof" engine than anything you will find behind a Ford grill.

I also have the engine tuned up a bit. It dynoed at the tires at 399hp and 710 ft lbs

Oh and stop putting the "g' in Cummins
Old 12-30-2006, 11:45 PM   #5
all grown up

Fan#: 29834
What I Drive: 2006 Toyota tacoma work truck

Points 11,191, Level 69
Points: 11,191, Level: 69 Points: 11,191, Level: 69 Points: 11,191, Level: 69
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 turbovation Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
dodge makes some very solid vehicles. My dad has been driving dodge 3/4 ton vans for work...with hundreds to thousands of pounds of paint stuff in the back for years. They last well over 200,000 with a lot of abuse. My other buddy has a 2003 Inline 6 cummins turbo deisel Dodge. He has a gastank built into the bed for filling up the tractors and he also towes huge generators from San Diego all the way to Phoenix every weekend. It has over 100K on it and it's barely broken in.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:08 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35829
What I Drive: 2005 CD Silver zx3

FF Reputation: 6 Stuka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
There is no 'G' in Cummins....

You didn't list the year of your F150. If its the previous generation, then I agree. If its a current generation, then you have a lemon. Everybody I know with the current gen has not had any real problems. The previous gen is junk though IMHO, not to mention ugly.

However, I still stand my decision to never own a truck with an automatic. No truck used for work should have an auto, because it will not last 1/4 as long as a proper manual. To many movings parts, heat is always an issue, and 20% of your power turns into heat that will never go to the wheels.

All that being said, Dodge rams with the Cummins are good trucks, just be careful of getting one with an automatic, because the cummins eats them for breakfast. I am not a fan of the Isuzu diesel used in the GM trucks. Yes the trucks ride nicer, but they also have an outdated torsion bar front suspension prone to wearing out faster than it should (the new '07's finally have coils on the 1/2 tons, not sure on the 3/4's and up)

The new '07 dodges have a new bigger cummins diesel, and ford has their new diesel to replace the problematic 6.0. And they both have solid front axles, so less moving parts, and far stronger.

There is a company that does cummins conversions in F-Series trucks, not sure if they sell a kit to o the conversion or not, but may be worth checking out if you want to go that route (although I think the 7.3L is a great engine).
Old 12-31-2006, 03:05 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah sorry about he "G" in cummins. It was really rare when i was working on them to actually see the name spelled out, just the big C logo that I always took as a momento every time a spanking new motor was in th shop.

Oops, I didn't Mention that it was a '99 on the F150. i ordered that sucker new from the dealer with pretty much every heavy duty option that I could get for it. After the First trans, I installed an aftermarket trans cooler. I thought that would solve the problem. I guess not. It still makes me mad because it has pulled and or hauled maybe 10 laods in it's lifetime. This wasn't really a work truck at all. When I got it, I wanted a truck that would be able to handle winter 4x4 duty and haul my 4 wheeler where ever I needed it to go. It's basically the FX4 package, before they had the FX4. Both transmissions only made it about 80k miles.

I have never had a truck with an auto. I bought it that way for my dad who i knew was going to drive the truck a lot. It's average work load was about 6 hay bales- 300-350 lbs. My dad can't really drive a stick anymore so I went with the auto.

The funny thing is, before I got this truck, he was using his 96 4x4 Eddie Bauer EXPLORER (4.0 V6, 4sp auto) to do the same work with. That same Explorer now has 320k miles on it now. It uses 1/4 qt of oil every 3k miles. It has no transmission problems what so ever. Yet another Ford truck that owes us nothing. I also have a 96 4x4 XLT Explorer with almost 200k miles on it and it is showing no signs of slowing down either.

I'm not trying to bash Ford all together. But after my experience with this truck and my '02 SVT focus, I'm starting to think that they are producing an awfull lot of "Friday cars" in the most recent years. It's not like my vehicles don't get maintained. Oil NEVER goes unchanged, The autos in the family get serviced every 40k. It just seems to me like the newer, more expensive models are of lower quality.

So now, not only am I getting rid of my SVT when I get home from CA, I have a truck that I need to get rid of also. The SVT has got to go because it's out of warranty and it still has the pre TSB clutch/ flywheel at 60k miles. I think everybody on this site can agree that it's a time-bomb. Don't get me wrong, I love driving that car but I hate dishing out cash once a month when it's PMS'ing and decides to break down. (or the alternator catches on fire, which was it's latest issue) My drum pedals and cymbols were inside, otherwise I would have been more than happy to let it burn.

sorry i got off of my own topic...end of rant

The new Dodges do seem very attractive. I drive by GM lots everyday and don't even look. Not at all interested in them. I feel like I'm stuck between a mid '90s Ford truck, or Dodge and a new Dodge. I would rather not spend $35k to get what I need in a new truck though. I'll let you guys know as I try to look around to see what I can find.

Oh Stuka, thanks for the tip on the Cummins to Ford swap. I might look into that seriously. Mid 90s F250, F350's with high miles and tired motors are easy to come by and cheap.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:16 AM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 38163
Points 2,104, Level 27
Points: 2,104, Level: 27 Points: 2,104, Level: 27 Points: 2,104, Level: 27
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 3 QQQQ Good Standing Member
99-03 F250/350 Superduty,7.3 PS and a stick.20 plus mpg.,will pull a barn (if need be) and dependable as a Ford should be.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:44 AM   #9
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE HB, 2011 Edge SEL

Points 14,596, Level 78
Points: 14,596, Level: 78 Points: 14,596, Level: 78 Points: 14,596, Level: 78
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
get an older 7.3 PS

Dads 95 350 with the 7.3 hes dropped out 2 tranys in 180k miles both time where when he tried to pull something too heavy, ex 25,000lb mobile home, but he was being paid $700 to do it, the cummins is great too a bullet proof engine that will last a long time, dont bother with a GM diesel, its not worth you time money and effort, unless its a brand spanking new one thats gonna run you $40k dont bother they have numerous problems and people we have talked to that have them wish they had a ford or dodge to pull their trailers with.

and im sure someone will correct me on this one but i know ford used to own cummins, idk if this is still true or not?
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 12 SE HB ╠╬╝, 2011 Ford Edge SEL AWD
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 12-31-2006, 08:11 AM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 38163
Points 2,104, Level 27
Points: 2,104, Level: 27 Points: 2,104, Level: 27 Points: 2,104, Level: 27
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 3 QQQQ Good Standing Member
Nope.Ford never owned Cummins,but they did use their engines in medium duty trucks for years. 1999-up 7.3 Powerstrokes are intercooled with great power,especially with a reflash,and have an excellent track record.(except for water pumps)Don't get an automatic;I am on my third one in my 1999 F550 Powerstroke two car carrier with less than 45k miles.Other than $hitty trannys,they are a great vehicle.I have a 2001 F250 Powerstroke with a 6 speed and a reflash that gets 25mpg. and will pull anything I have ever hooked it up to.Dodge trucks are OK and so are the GM Duramaxes,but dollar for dollar,you can't beat the Ford Superdutys.If you want a rugged gas truck,try a Nissan Titan.Unless you are pulling a lot of stuff over 8k lbs,it is an incredible unit.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.