*REPAIRS*Recommend using Insurance or paying myself? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Gan-San!

Fan#: 1411
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 focusonthefocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
*REPAIRS*Recommend using Insurance or paying myself?

I'm getting my steering rack changed, the center support bearing changed, an alignment and resurfacing the front rotors... for $1884.00 (that's including a 10% discount, parts and labor). I can't afford this, but my service advisor said he could contact my insurance and have them foot the bill. I'm a bit shaken at that thought, due to the fact that I'm sure there will be a nice increase in my monthlys and it would definately be more expensive to go through them...

I tried to fix the problems myself, but there is more issues than I can figure out... has anyone used insurance to cover a driver error repair? Do I really need to resurface the rotors? For the SVTf, would it be cheaper to just get new ones? I'm pretty stumped on this one.

Focus on the Mountain
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

Points 12,236, Level 72
Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
Want me to see what i can get you all that for?

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 12-14-2006, 04:01 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41223
What I Drive: 01 Twiligh Blue SE 4DR Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 foci01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Why do the parts need to be changed? If you hit something then I think insurance would be a good idea. they will not pay to replace it just for the sake of replacing it,not only is it immoral its illegal to file a false claim.Your rates may not go up depending on your policy.

SEDAN REVOLUTION#23
Old 12-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

Points 12,236, Level 72
Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
The good thing is you can get that bearing now seperate from the axle. It didnt use to be that way.

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 12-14-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
Gan-San!

hmm... There's a higher probablity for the dealer to get it done right. However your offer is enticing b16sir1991... go ahead and see what you can do. Thank you for your offer.

Focus on the Mountain
Old 12-14-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 28,536, Level 99
Points: 28,536, Level: 99 Points: 28,536, Level: 99 Points: 28,536, Level: 99
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Racks can be tons of fun to do on the ground in the yard. I haven't looked, but the last rack I did was on my Aerostar, and the torque for the bolts that hold the rack in place was like 90 ft-lbs. That's a bugger to do jacked up on jackstands. You'll need some large jackstands, wheel chocks (safety 1st), and a hydraulic jack to gain enough clearance. On a Zetec motor, you'll be likely to have to remove the exhaust back to the middle of the car to get the rack out. Tie rod ends don't come with a steering rack usually, so you'll need two of those also. You can get close to the original alignment by laying the old rack on the ground with the new rack to compare the location of the tie rod ends. It's not perfect, but it will keep the wheels straight enough drive to an alignment shop. Firestone has lifetime alignment for a vehicle for about the cost of two alignments. I suggest using a large wrench- like a 1.1/2" for leverage to torque the rack mount bolts because a pipe might be hard to maneuver between the ground and the car. Having the axle out might make things easier for replacing the rack- if you have to remove it to replace the bearing.

You should be able to replace the rotors, pads, rack, tie rods, bearing, and both axles for less than what these guys are charging you- even if you have to purchase some equipment or tools to do so. The question is- how much pain do you want to endure to save money?

I'm sure you can manage, I just thought I'd throw some thoughts in there

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:38 PM   #7
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 28,536, Level 99
Points: 28,536, Level: 99 Points: 28,536, Level: 99 Points: 28,536, Level: 99
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Oh insurance? I have never heard of anyone using insurance to pay for repairs if it wasn't due to an accident. Really, they aren't supposed to raise your rates for claims- that's illegal. However, they can raise your rates for traffic violations you get if an accident is your fault.

If you have a whole life insurance policy, depending on the actual cash value, you can borrow against the policy and allow the dividends to pay back the loan.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:05 PM   #8
Gan-San!

Just car insurance for me. I believe I can make a claim with Progressive because I had them pay for some repairs when a deer ran into my driving line... however, there is a possiblity that they will drop me if things get to expensive. As far as I know... I'll have to explain to them what happened and all that as well... which I'd rather not get into with them...

Focus on the Mountain
Old 12-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #9
Gan-San!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
The question is- how much pain do you want to endure to save money?

I'm sure you can manage, I just thought I'd throw some thoughts in there
I hear you there. I'm learning from my mistakes in more ways than one... I'll just sit tight until I get a fax of the quote and send that off to b16. I'm sure I can get a better ball park of what's what from that POV. While I wait, I'll research the increase in insurance or penalities for that matter. Paying for it all up front is out of the question, though. I'll keep you guys posted.

b16, can you send me a PM with a fax number?

Focus on the Mountain
Old 12-14-2006, 10:45 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32830
What I Drive: 2006 Chevy HHR 2LT

FF Reputation: 15 karguy427 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Insurance claims guy talking here.....
Well - If what happened to your vehicle meets the definition of a "collision" or "comprehensive" claim, then of course you can make a claim. As far as I know, any auto insurance policy will cover losses caused by "mistakes" or "driver error". Only thing that would be excluded would be intentional acts (Like you rammed your Focus on purpose into the db that cut you off.)

So...If you hit a big chuckhole in the road, or you got temporarily distracted and ran off into a ditch, short story - it's covered (as long as you have collision / comprehensive on your policy, of course).

I'll give you another 'what-if'.....
In some cases, even certain portions of a MECHANICAL breakdown would be covered as an insurance claim. Let's say you break a tie rod, or a lower control arm, and then the vehicle crashes into the pavement, scraping the underside severely, or does some body damage. The initial CAUSE (tie rod or control arm) wouldn't be covered, because it's the CAUSE, but the rest of the damage that resulted from the part breaking would be.

Hope this helps.....

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.