Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Unable to get a price from dealers for 2012 or 2013 Focus?

7K views 45 replies 16 participants last post by  Nik00117 
#1 ·
New here.

Owned a new 2008 Focus SE Audiophile / Sync package from 2008 - 2011, 4 door sedan. No issues, loved it.

Looking to purchase 2012 Titanium or 2013 SE and am unable to obtain a price from ANY dealer. I am unsure if this is a new dealership "strategy" but in 2008, I did 99% of my legwork through the internet / email.

All I receive are "form letter" email responses about "when can you come in" and "we can beat any rate..." etc. I've been to one dealership in person, and I still could not get any figures. None. I can not understand this.

Any help is appreciated.

#31 ·
Just remember at the end of the deal to check all your paper work to make sure the dealer isn't messing with the price and adding things on the back end of the deal. Never and I mean never get the detail package that they claim will last for ever. And the decision to buy the car rest with you not the dealer or sales person it's not there money.

#32 ·
IMO buying can be pretty simple. Preparation is key for good pricing and is worth the time IMO.
1. get any necessary financing lined up in advance if possible
2. be prepared to walk away
3. if possible, sell your old car separately -- it's worth the hassle!
4. look up MSRP, invoice and dealer "inventory on hand" from ford web site. Visit the dealers who physically have what you're looking for.
5. determine your requirements vs. nice-to-haves -- in my case, SE, stick shift, one of 3 colors, no MFT or spoiler; sunroof optional. Some flexibility helps. I don't necessarily communicate all of this to the dealer ahead of time -- if it's there, I'll usually find it in the looking stage.
6. know your eligible incentives (from the internet mostly). Call Ford marketing if you need clarification.
7. check out the local ads for loss leaders

Now you're ready to play -- you know what they have and should have a pretty good idea of what you can buy it for. The ideal deal will be simple with no trade and no financing issues. Realistically, invoice minus incentives, depending on time of year. End of month, end of quarter, end of year and major holidays typically best.

I've bought several new cars and found this method to work well. For my recent Focus for example, end of calendar year; MSRP $19,585; local Ford rebates $3395; dealer discount $1890; net price $14,300; T&L $1705; out the door at $16, 005. This was at the second dealer and I was half way out the door to the third. Remember, every dealer is different, with different motivations. Other than "Private Cash" there were no special discounts, no internet deals, no extra add ons and this was not a "loss leader" (which can even be better if it's close to the car you want).

If any salesmen were dissatisfied for not having a big enough wage, they never acted like it or whined about it. No doubt they work hard for their paycheck but their salary/commission/bonus is between them and their dealer and none of my business. But if the salesman is good, I'll go out of my way to buy again from him if possible.[8)]

#34 ·
After a week or so of failed attempts, I am beginning to look at other vehicles. My last attempt today, on "Presidents Day" was: Focus Titanium 2013, MSRP + Delivery = 24,590. Here's where it gets confusing, "$2500.00 rebates, $500 Private Cash" an estimate of $1500 negative trade equity."

My quote, $27,081.50. I have no idea how this number was reached, but its $2491.50 OVER MSRP, before adding back $1500 in rebates.

#39 ·
Thank you. It appears to be:

What would be helpful is
Selling price of vehicle: MSRP 24,590 / "SALE" Price he wrote is $23999.00
Rebate: $2500 + $500 Private Cash = 3000.00
Trade value: They said 10,000 then wrote TTA 13000 calling it 13000.00
trade payoff: 15K is an over estimate, but in the 14.5k's. 14500.00

#41 ·
Well just because it has 18" wheels/tires on it they can't exactly discount it because you don't want the tires. It was built that way and the price is reflected by it. If you don't want those tires find a Focus without those tires and you don't have to worry about it.

So is the MSRP truly $24,5xx or was there other equipment you didn't want.

#43 ·
I'm at the point to buy or give up myself. Here's where I stand.

hb titanium, no other options - msrp $24,995

two dealers offered it for $23,000, one at $22,500(before rebates)
doc./title/other fees - $275-280

Current rebates - $2500

The issue - my trade in. I didn't mention it until we reached the above point to any of them. It's a high mileage minivan. Two dealers said $2500 at best, one flat out said he didn't want it. Running through three online trade in calculators, I was expecting to be in the $3700-$4700 range. So, it looks like I need to try and sell it myself. I'd much rather have it gone before buying something else, so I'll get it listed in the next couple days and see what happens. I was really hoping to be done this week, but I wasn't expecting to be so far off from the numbers I had worked up for the trade. It's been a good learning experience.

#44 ·
Well! That was easy! I did what I said, and listed it for sale on Craigslist Thursday. Had a tentative deal worked out by Friday night, and finalized the sale of my van this morning. At that point, it made sense to go with the best offer, which happened to also be the dealer who had it in stock. I emailed him last night making sure it was still in stock, all the numbers we had were still in agreement, and told him I had a deal for my van that if it went through, I would call him to come get the car. It went exactly like that. I called him at 10, was there at 12, and on my way home with the new car by 1. It took less than ten minutes from the time we walked in for them to finish getting the paperwork together, fifteen minutes in the finance office signing stuff, and a half hour of him showing us the bells and whistles on the car. All numbers matched up to what had been in the emails, only one brief mention of the extended warranty which I quickly declined, and no attempts to add on special interior protection, paint protection, or anything like that.
All in all, a very satisfactory experience.

Oh yeah, the best part? I got $5k for my van!

#46 ·
Well! That was easy! I did what I said, and listed it for sale on Craigslist Thursday. Had a tentative deal worked out by Friday night, and finalized the sale of my van this morning. At that point, it made sense to go with the best offer, which happened to also be the dealer who had it in stock. I emailed him last night making sure it was still in stock, all the numbers we had were still in agreement, and told him I had a deal for my van that if it went through, I would call him to come get the car. It went exactly like that. I called him at 10, was there at 12, and on my way home with the new car by 1. It took less than ten minutes from the time we walked in for them to finish getting the paperwork together, fifteen minutes in the finance office signing stuff, and a half hour of him showing us the bells and whistles on the car. All numbers matched up to what had been in the emails, only one brief mention of the extended warranty which I quickly declined, and no attempts to add on special interior protection, paint protection, or anything like that.
All in all, a very satisfactory experience.

Oh yeah, the best part? I got $5k for my van!
Good job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.