Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Possible wheel swap on new car purchase

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  pwk5017 
#1 ·
Ok, I am ready to pull the trigger on a new focus tmr. What are the chances the dealer will swap out the current 16" alloy wheels on the car I want for the 17"s on an SEL sedan they have on the lot? They have 2-3 of these SEL sedans on the lot, so its not like I am taking their only wheel set. Is this a faux pas in the negotiation room? Does this lead to giving the dealer the upper hand, and you getting raped accordingly? If I didnt do a wheel swap at the time of purchase, what are the chances of me purchasing/swapping wheels with another owner? I feel like the second route is just going to be a headache and more money than its worth.

#2 ·
Not a chance.
The car sticker has what is on the car. Period. When did YOU ever see a new car on the lot where some parts got swapped and they crossed off some bits on the sticker?
NEVER.

The ONLY way would be if another customer had happened to mention they wanted the 16 instead of the 17's.. and that would be pretty unlikely.

The only way you would get 17's is to buy them at some sort of discount as parts..
Or save the 16's for winter tires and buy aftermarket 17's

#7 ·
You know, I first thought it wouldnt be a big deal, but the one response made it seem like i was a complete idiot for even considering it. I am going to bring it up tomorrow night when i go to negogiate. If it turns into an enormous hassle, then i will buy the car as is, but it would be nice not to purchase the 16" wheels and tires, and then turn around and buy 17" wheels and tires. I am sure it would be a hassle selling the 16"ers too. What is the most accurate way to determine the $ difference between the 16" alloys on the SE hatchback and the 17" aluminum on the SEL sedan? Thanks for the responses, guys.

#8 ·
From 2000 to 2011 I worked for two large Ford dealerships here in Florida. At least twice a month we did some kind of swap of something like bumpers, wheels, rack and bins in vans, or radios. To solve the issue with the invoices not matching we would simply replace the items with an aftermarket replacement, for example navigation for a 6 cd swap or aftermarket rims on a mustang if we took the originals. Only time I think we lost money is when a guy wanted painted bumpers on his F150.

#10 ·
Yeah, I am not even considering the swap anymore. If I decide to negotiate over doing the xplan, then i might pull out the wheel swap as a counter offer to them countering my original offer. Most important thing for me is to get the right deal on this car. If the wheels end up being part of that, then thats cool, but i am more concerned about walking away pleased with the result. I dont want to look at my car for the next 5 years thinking "man, i wish i hadnt over payed for that" Its all about the deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.