Foda/Honcus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31828
What I Drive: 2001 Green ZX3-Porsche 912E

FF Reputation: 1 opus1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Foda/Honcus

How do you feel about mixed marriages...A Honda H22 engine in a ZX3, logically speaking it would seem like a good match: 70hp gain with potential for upgrade in a great handling chassis or should it be a Duratec 2.3L swap with a 20hp gain, but keeping it a pure bred.
What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26230
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 5 SVT Robzor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
well, the idea, theoretically, is a good one. You're probably still going to get flamed for it. 2 good reasons and 1 bad one. The bad one is that a lot of people here dont feel too good about Hondas, but we'll ignore that.

The real reason is getting a Ford ECU to talk to a Honda engine would be ridiculously expensive. You'd really need to swap all the Honda electronics in and re-engineer everything to work. Thats reason A. And reason B is that for less money you could do a V8 RWD conversion what would work, improve handling (maybe not grip, but handling yes) and power quite a bit.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 6707
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
i have no gripes about honda...except that their engines produce their tq at funny places...no low end lots of top end...(not a total bad thing just not to my liking)

im sure u can get it to work but like ^ said it'll be too costly unless u really have the time and got lots of donor parts lying around.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12504
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 havoc7476 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
swap a 2.3 Duratec in and a Stage 3 Cosworth, then go kill hondas.
SVT Squad #197
Old 03-02-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
It was all a DREAM!

Fan#: 32545
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

Points 11,281, Level 70
Points: 11,281, Level: 70 Points: 11,281, Level: 70 Points: 11,281, Level: 70
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Hondas............ the name says it all NO WAY
Focus Revolution Club
Formely IMPORTKILLA35
Old 03-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2116
What I Drive: 05 Silver WRX Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 rockthezx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'd say just take the money you would use to do the swap and use it to modify the engine you have in there now...unless it's an spi, in which case I'd say do the duratec 2.3.

The honda engine would be different though, and to my knowledge it would also be a first.
...now with dyno tuned stage 2
Old 03-02-2006, 08:44 PM   #7
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

Points 32,001, Level 100
Points: 32,001, Level: 100 Points: 32,001, Level: 100 Points: 32,001, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
uh well. you can pick up an h22 for about 1500 around here. you could get a AEM engine management system for around 1500. personally i would go with a stand alone engine management and you should be good. for around 4500 with stuff im sure im forgetting. and a well built h22 with good bottom end and a cammed head would make great HP gains.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

Points 32,001, Level 100
Points: 32,001, Level: 100 Points: 32,001, Level: 100 Points: 32,001, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
however i would stick with ford and run a 3.8 v6 in it with a rear end swap. you would make more horsepower and be able to drift and what honda besides the s2000 can say that.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:46 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 28836
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 Black MTX

FF Reputation: 4 old_grendel Good Standing Member
if you're gonna swap in a bigger ford id say go for a v8, the 302 (i think thats the one...5.0L) is supposed to fit like it was made to be there the whole time...or you could go w the 4.6 L
Old 03-03-2006, 07:49 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
It's not just the engine though, it's the front crossmembers, motor mounts, the transmission, suspension geometry (different height/angles of halfshafts), talking to the ABS system, etc. etc. etc. There's a lot of custom cost there you aren't thinking about, and all of it adds up to more than the same or better gains with Ford engine tuning.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.