GM lost nearly $9billion in 2005.... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 25921
What I Drive: 2004 Mazda3s Sedan MTX

FF Reputation: 1 igor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
GM lost nearly $9billion in 2005....

Well. now I see where the difference between Gm and FoMoCo lies...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060126/...bi_ge/earns_gm

For those that do no know FoMoCo (as a whole) booked $2bn profit for 3rd straight year. All of the FoMoCo divisions were profitable except for Ford NA and Jaguar. Ford NA booked 2005 with $1.6bn loss.

Igor

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2006, 08:22 AM   #2
Regulator...mount up

Fan#: 3062
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVT

Points 5,930, Level 49
Points: 5,930, Level: 49 Points: 5,930, Level: 49 Points: 5,930, Level: 49
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 28 PapoSwing Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
8.5 bill in 2005 GM needs to rethink their strategy pronto....
Old 01-26-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11218
What I Drive: 1996 SAAB 9000 AERO

FF Reputation: 1 MIKESSVT Good Standing Member
Not to defend GM or anything, but Ford isnt doing that hot either. I dont know where igor got his profit info, but for the last 5 quarters Ford has been in the red as far as their goals have gone; the mustang hasn't saved them. IMO GM is a larger company and can afford hits like that (not for long I can assure you) than Ford can. Ford is closing many plants as well and laying off 1/4 of their workforce.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:58 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I think that the are also in trouble, but I also think they see their future in GM's situation and are getting the inevitable taken care of now so that they can get better, faster.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 01-26-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 6707
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally posted by MIKESSVT
Not to defend GM or anything, but Ford isnt doing that hot either. I dont know where igor got his profit info, but for the last 5 quarters Ford has been in the red as far as their goals have gone; the mustang hasn't saved them. IMO GM is a larger company and can afford hits like that (not for long I can assure you) than Ford can. Ford is closing many plants as well and laying off 1/4 of their workforce.
also he stated Ford Worldwide basically, not just Ford NA which yes has been struggling for many quarters. I acn see how they do so well worldwide but crappy over here, a Mustang can't save the entire entire.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by MIKESSVT
Actually it was announced on Monday just before the closures were announced..
It is also mentioned at the bottom of the article linked to my orig post.
Ford Motor Comanty, Inc, as a whole (worldwide) 2005 profit of $2bn.
Ford NA and jaguar were the divisions in loss.
Ford NA 2005 had loss of $1.6bn.

The $9bn of loss is for the WHOLE GM... it is surely dragged down by GM NA etc..

So the situation is very different.. a big corp with profit can maintain a division in loss - and can do it for basically ANY period the corporation decides to maintain that division. However when the whole corporation is not able to outweight the losses of the its worst divisions, then the whole corporation is in trouble... that is why GM is saving itself from brankrupcy, while Ford is not worried about it at all (unless something goes horribly wrong in the near future), because if FoMoCo is willing to tolerate the Ford NA's loss (as it is kind of tolerating the loss in Jaguar) then the corp as a whole can go like this indefinitely.

Finally about the closures... THAT IS A GOOD THING for both companies.. but to further provide comparison, Ford is cloding much larger portion of their capacity than GM. IF Ford closed the plants today they end up at 100% of utilization; although people are worried that by the time they idle the plants they will lose more market share and thus be at overcapacity once again.

On the other hand, even if GM closed all the plants today they would have unutilized - i.e. wasted - capacity and a lot of it.. Imagine how badly off they will be by 2012 when the plants will finally close.. and they will have even less demand.

Ford is approaching its issues aggressively and I think is much better off.

Igor

Last edited by igor; 01-26-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5755
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT SVT Squad#

FF Reputation: 1 jboylan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
All GM needs to do is add 3 or 4 more SUVs to their lineup, and at least one more pickup, and they will be all set.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

I do not think 3 or 4 SUV's and a tuck can earn net profit of 9bn...

or you were being sarcastic and I am chewing on my foot..

I bet is #2.. isn't it.

Igor
Old 01-26-2006, 10:11 AM   #9
teh tranny killer

Fan#: 15685
What I Drive: r.i.p. liquid grey zx3....now 300zx

FF Reputation: 1 fokuzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
why do you think this has been such a bad year for GM..and why are the NA branches worse off than world wide? i have a few ideas but no real knowledge to back it up
zetec crew #23
zetec R.I.P. best standing 1/4 time= 15.260 @88.08 mph (2.275 60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
it takes a minute to get used to, kinda like shaving your balls.. haha
Old 01-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

neither do I .. I they claim the Delphi bankrupcy and legacy costs, but I blame the shameless discounts.. yeah they beat Ford in numbers sold, but what is it good if they dug themselves into a hole.

I should refrain from further judgement, because I am way too biased. I like nothing about GM.. The pontiac and caddi lineups are nice. In europe the Opel is doing OK but that is about it. Other than that I see no appeal and have no respect for the company... so it would not be fair for me to say... I am slowly but surely becoming a FoMoCo fanboy.

Igor

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.