Toyota Recalling 750,000 Truck, SUVs - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2005, 01:34 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17666
What I Drive: 05 zx4 se sonic blue

FF Reputation: 2 foc_this Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Toyota Recalling 750,000 Truck, SUVs

just goes to show you that even toyota has its problems.

Toyota Recalling 750,000 Truck, SUVs By KEN THOMAS, Associated Press Writer
Tue May 17, 3:41 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Toyota Motor Corp., in one of its largest safety recalls ever, said Tuesday it is recalling more than 750,000 pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles because of problems with the front suspension that could hinder steering.

The company said the recall covers 774,856 vehicles in the United States, including the 2001-2004 model years of the Tacoma, the 2001-2002 versions of the 4Runner and the 2002-2004 model years of the Tundra and Sequoia.

Toyota said the surface of a ball joint which connects to the front suspension may have been scratched when it was manufactured, which could lead to wear and tear over time.

Any excessive wear or looseness in the joint could force drivers to exert more effort when steering, allow the vehicle to drift and increase the amount of noise from the suspension.

Ming-Jou Chen, a Toyota spokeswoman, said the company had confirmed six cases in which the condition existed in the suspension. There have been no injuries associated with the problems.

Toyota said it planned to conduct a similar recall of the affected vehicles in Canada, Japan, Australia and other countries, but did not immediately have the number of vehicles that would be covered outside the U.S.

Chen said it was one of the largest recalls in company history.

In 1992, Toyota recalled about 550,000 Camrys from the 1987-1990 model years because of the potential for power door locks to malfunction and lock passengers out of or inside the vehicles.

In 2002, the company recalled nearly 400,000 subcompact and minicar vehicles exported to the United States, Europe and Canada because of improperly designed brake fluid pipes.

In Tuesday's recall of trucks and SUVs, owners will be notified beginning in July and will be able to have the problem fixed at no cost, Chen said.

___

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2005, 01:44 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17881
What I Drive: 2006 white ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 GAfocusZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
wow. that kinda sucks. My boss drives an 01/02 tacoma.

Current mods: None:(
Old 05-19-2005, 01:58 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Ouch, thats gotta hurt.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:43 AM   #4
Gan-San!

Fan#: 1411
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 focusonthefocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
yep.

Focus on the Mountain
Old 05-19-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
I have been rubbing it in the face of some kids at work.. they are really defensive of the recall... saying it is because they are made by American workers... I told him to go back where he is from if he dislikes the American work force. He got REAL mad. But it is so true. He hates anything made in America. Glad to see it is a global problem so you can't blame the American worker.... of which is the hardest working people on the planet!! F the Japanese until trade is fair!! That is my only problem with japanese products
ST crew #18
Old 05-19-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21422
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 Liquid Grey Focus SES

FF Reputation: 2 Kaduku Good Standing Member
hahaha. So sad, finally it's not Ford that recalling their trucks and SUVs

Japanese Engine, European Model, American Designed, Mexican made, Michigan/Wisconsin Manufactured = FORD FOCUS
Old 05-19-2005, 04:10 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21422
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 Liquid Grey Focus SES

FF Reputation: 2 Kaduku Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by vanace
I have been rubbing it in the face of some kids at work.. they are really defensive of the recall... saying it is because they are made by American workers... I told him to go back where he is from if he dislikes the American work force. He got REAL mad. But it is so true. He hates anything made in America. Glad to see it is a global problem so you can't blame the American worker.... of which is the hardest working people on the planet!! F the Japanese until trade is fair!! That is my only problem with japanese products
haha same with my friends, but a different type of thing, they say it's a discrace to buy an American car, esspecially a Ford, since their not reliable (which is true) And to buy a Honda or a Toyota, I mentioned the Civic and Camry, they said that would be WAAY better than a Focus, heh heh heh....riiiiiight......well maybe the civic
Old 05-19-2005, 11:07 PM   #8
Supercharged

Fan#: 10982
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 SVT, 2004 Ford Ranger 4x4

Points 13,364, Level 75
Points: 13,364, Level: 75 Points: 13,364, Level: 75 Points: 13,364, Level: 75
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Hillyard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (27)
Quote:
Toyota said the surface of a ball joint which connects to the front suspension may have been scratched when it was manufactured, which could lead to wear and tear over time.
Actually, this is not a safety recall and more a sign that Toyota stands behind their products. It is rather sad because Pontiac has a similar problem with their 97-98 W-Body Grand Prix’s steering rack. Pontiac just put out a TSB and there were more than 6 cases documented, heck there were at least 30 people who complained on the clubgp.com forums. The average cost to fix the steering rack was 1200 dollars.

You guys are reading recall and automatically thinking it is negative but Toyota will probably win more business than lose it…
#3788 InfraRed SVT
Hill <><
Old 05-20-2005, 05:53 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Actually, this is not a safety recall and more a sign that Toyota stands behind their products

Well the news report I heard says it WAS a safty recall, and the ntsb is putting out the recall.
ST crew #18
Old 05-20-2005, 07:53 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17177
What I Drive: 2000 Sonic Blue ZX3, 1993 Civic B16A swap

FF Reputation: 1 dispense05 Good Standing Member
hey, where did you get that information? my friend, a week ago, was driving down this road and she pulled to the side to let an ambulance go by, but when she tried to get back on the road, she turned the wheel a little and nothing happened so she pulled harder, and the front jerked all the sudden, threw her 2001 4Runner into a slide, which hit a ditch front first and threw it end over end above a fence landing into a farmers field and rolling 3 more times. This might be the overall cause of her damn near killing herself. She did walk away with only a small bruse on her shoulder, but it could have been much worse. So wear your seatbelt as well, cause thats what kept her in her death trap of a car. But the main reason for this was i wanted to print that off for her so she could possibly get a law suit on toyota.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.