Mustang, Five Hundred and Montego Strengthen Ford's Car Business - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6590
What I Drive: '05 Sonic Blue Escape

FF Reputation: 1 Kneel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mustang, Five Hundred and Montego Strengthen Ford's Car Business

April 2005 U.S. Sales: Ford Mustang, Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego Strengthen Ford's Car Business

* Ford Motor Company's April retail car sales rose 11 percent from a year ago paced by new Mustang, Five Hundred, and Montego. * April truck sales declined 2 percent as higher sales of crossover utilities and full-size pickup trucks were offset by lower sales of traditional sport utility vehicles. * Overall, April sales were off 2 percent from a year ago.

DEARBORN, Mich., May 3 -- The all-new Ford Mustang, Ford Five Hundred, and Mercury Montego continued to lead Ford Motor Company's effort to strengthen its car business. In April, Ford's car sales to retail customers were 11 percent higher than a year ago. However, a decline in deliveries to fleet customers offset the increase in retail sales.

Truck sales were 2 percent lower than a year ago as stronger sales of crossover utilities and full-size pickups were more than offset by lower sales of traditional utility vehicles.

Overall, U.S. customers purchased 281,292 cars and trucks from Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo dealers in April, down 2 percent from a year ago.

Mustang sales were 19,559 -- the highest April sales for Ford's legendary pony car since 1980.

"Right now, the only thing keeping Mustang at bay is lack of inventory," said Steve Lyons, Ford group vice president, North America Marketing, Sales and Service. Lyons estimated Ford dealers had fewer than 13,000 Mustangs in stock at the end of April.

Consumer demand also remained strong for the company's new full-size sedans -- the Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego. Combined sales for the Five Hundred, Montego, and Ford Freestyle crossover utility, which are produced at Ford's Chicago Assembly Plant, eclipsed 18,000 for the first time.

Demand for the company's crossover utilities continued to increase. Combined sales for the Ford Escape and Freestyle, Mercury's Mariner, and Volvo's XC70 and XC90 were 31 percent higher than the company's crossover utility sales in April 2004. Sales for the Escape Hybrid were 1,705 -- the highest monthly sales to date.

The F-Series truck, America's best-selling vehicle, posted April sales of 71,367, up 2 percent from a year ago.

Lincoln Mercury posted its third consecutive increase in monthly sales paced by recently introduced new products -- Mercury Montego and Mariner and Lincoln Mark LT full-size truck. Lincoln Mercury sales in April were up 10 percent.

Sales of traditional sport utility vehicles (e.g., Ford Explorer and Expedition) were 14 percent lower than a year ago. Land Rover, whose dealers offer a range of luxury utility vehicles, was an exception to the rule as sales climbed 24 percent due to the all-new LR3, Motor Trend magazine's "Sport Utility Vehicle of the Year."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21928
What I Drive: 2007 BRG Mini Cooper

FF Reputation: 1 valthun Good Standing Member
And the Fusion may help even more. Putting a 6 speed manual tranny into a full size sedan makes me real happy. Finally a US carmaker is understanding what the public wants, and seeing what the rest of the world is doing in their cars.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Putting a 6 speed manual tranny into a full size sedan makes me real happy.

I know of no Ford full size sedan now or in the future that has a 6 speed manual. The fusion isn't full size, and right now, only the 2.3 four banger gets a manual tranny... the V-6 gets an auto only for now. The manual tranny option for the V-6 is on the maybe list for later
ST crew #18
Old 05-03-2005, 01:50 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11151
What I Drive: An Orange EAP

FF Reputation: 3 brawls43 Good Standing Member
And if they do, it'll be a 5 speed manual. The 6 speed is an automatic. Which is a nice step up from the old school 4 speed auto.
SVT Squad #225
Old 05-03-2005, 01:56 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21789
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 EGGO Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by valthun
Finally a US carmaker is understanding what the public wants, and seeing what the rest of the world is doing in their cars.
Eh...kinda. *eyes the Euro Focus*
Old 05-03-2005, 01:58 PM   #6
The Godfather

Fan#: 8634
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 6 Goat Roper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Quote:
Truck sales were 2 percent lower than a year ago as stronger sales of crossover utilities and full-size pickups were more than offset by lower sales of traditional utility vehicles.
Quote:
Overall, U.S. customers purchased 281,292 cars and trucks from Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo dealers in April, down 2 percent from a year ago.
The two most telling sentences in the entire article. GM and Ford are still in a funk sales wise.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:37 PM   #7

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Also, the Mustang outsold the Montego, Five Hundred, and Freestyle *combined* which says good things for the Mustang and bad things for the others.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:10 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6590
What I Drive: '05 Sonic Blue Escape

FF Reputation: 1 Kneel Good Standing Member
Ford could be selling more Mustangs (especially GTs) right now, if they could build them faster. Also, they underestimated the demand for AWD in the 500s. I think initially they were only expecting about 20% of the 500s to sell with AWD, but customer demand has been more like 40%. And, if they had brought the redesigned Euro Focus to the US for 2005... well, those would be selling better than the old style 2005s for sure.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:59 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10546
What I Drive: 2009 Subaru WRX

FF Reputation: 1 Silver03SVT Good Standing Member
Well the Asians are doing something right:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050503/..._ge/auto_sales

US automakers need to remove their heads from their rectums. Ford is getting there, but as a whole we still lag behind.

1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 05-03-2005, 06:30 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21928
What I Drive: 2007 BRG Mini Cooper

FF Reputation: 1 valthun Good Standing Member
According to ford.com the Fusion with the V-6 will be getting the 6 speed manual as an option. Ok so mid-size sedan, thats still better than a compact sedan being the only manual choice.

And so we may need to wait another 2 or 3 years for the enw Euro Focus. That gives me time to break this one in and trade up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.