few questions for you guys - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2003, 04:21 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1569
What I Drive: 00' dodge neon es

FF Reputation: 1 Vampyre Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
few questions for you guys

i have been toying around with the idea of getting a focus zx3 in the near future, but i have heard alot of ppl say they are dogs so i am a lil unsure. what kinda cars, stock vs stock or modded would be a challange for the zx3 focus?

are the 150hp engines going to come standard in the newer models that would be out around april or so? if not, generally how much extra is the engine?

how is the insurance on the focuses?

if you could go back and do it again, would you buy the focus again? if not, why, and what would you have rather bought instead in the same price range?

i have the option to swap my atx out with a mtx on the neon, and use my tax return on parts for it, or save the money i would use for the tranny swap plus some, untill april when i get my return and pay the neon down enough to trade it in and get a focus or some thing and have left over cash for maybe an intake or something so it is a hard decision for me lol.

thanx, i realy appreciate anyone's input

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2003, 04:28 PM   #2
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
2.0L Zetec is standard engine - 130hp
2.3L Duratec/PZEV engine is an option or standard on premium and comfort packages - 144hp
I think they charge like 150-200 for the 2.3L if it's not included in the package but you have to order it from the dealer.
2.0L Zetec on SVTF - 170hp

Never drove a Neon so I can't make a comparison.

With the 2.0L Zetec engine, there is a lot of after market parts for looks and performance.
It's a matter of how much do you want to spend to get the HP you want.

Never regreted getting the Focus/Zx3. I've had a 280ZX, ZX2 and 1970 Chevelle(180HP - which is not much on this tank) with some mods and the Focus just handles better and has better pick up and go.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:35 PM   #3
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I love my Focus. And the 2.3l engine is so smooth and powerful. Plus, its very responsive to modifications. You should be able to get a 2004 sooner than April.

Go test drive a Focus (either a '03 or '04), and you'll see how fun it is, even in stock form. After all, handling is subjective opinion, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 11-12-2003, 04:43 PM   #4
AKA Calamity Jane

Fan#: 200
What I Drive: --2003 Liquid Grey ZX3 (R.I.P.)--

FF Reputation: 1 emilee225 Good Standing Member
Okay, as of right now no one has replied to this, so I just want to tell you whatever I can, but I'm no expert on cars as far as engine mods go (I'm a girl, what do you expect). Anyway, I THINK that starting w/ the 04 models, the 2.3L PZEV engine will be standard on all Zetec engines. Now, if you're looking for the best of the hatchbacks, I would say go for the SVT. It's sportier and has better suspension, plus it comes with 6 speed MTX. I can honestly say that if I could go back, I would still buy the Focus, but I would 1. get better financing and bring a man with me so that the dealer doesn't take advantage of me 2. Get the SVT, because as much as I love my car, I'm paying the same amount that anyone else would be paying for a brand new SVT 3. If I couldn't get the SVT I would at least get a manual. They didn't have the MTX Liquid Grey at the dealership, and I simply HAD to have a new car that day.
So, what I'm saying is I can't imagine that you would be disappointed with the Focus should you choose to buy one. It's obviously your decision, but if you take one for a test drive, I guarantee you'll agree with me. It's 10 times better than a Neon. Good Luck to you and I hope it helped a little.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:55 PM   #5
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
2004 Focus Focus Specifications

Ford Focus SVT website and specs
Old 11-12-2003, 05:18 PM   #6

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
As both a Neon and a Focus driver, I can honestly say that I don't really enjoy the Neon much. It's an 02 Neon ATX, base model ex-rental car, now a driver's training car. There is just no comparison between that model of Neon and a Focus with the Zetec engine. A Focus with an SPI engine is gonna feel like a dog compared to the Neon, but a Zetec-equipped Focus will be close. With a few simple mods it will be even better. The 2.3 liter PZEV-equipped Focus is a great start, with the most power short of getting an SVT Focus. Of course, an SVT Focus will be way better than a Neon in acceleration, handling, and features, straight off the showroom floor. Unless of course you can pony up for an SRT-4. Those make stock SVT's do this:

Old 11-12-2003, 05:24 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1104
What I Drive: '04 SRT-4, '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

FF Reputation: 1 XxDRIVERxX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Well since all other questions were answered, Im paying about 1600/yr for a 16year old male on the B honor role for full coverage. Would I still get a focus if I had the option? Yes But a 3 door SVT, instead of a Zx5.

-Shawn
Old 11-12-2003, 05:36 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1569
What I Drive: 00' dodge neon es

FF Reputation: 1 Vampyre Good Standing Member
cool guys thanx. i don't thnk an svt is in price range realy though so i was looking at getting a basic zx3, mtx, and the 2.3. the reason i am prolly going to wait till april is just to wait for my tax return, but i think i may pony up the extra money and do that express return thing so i get a new car now lol. plus i need to get better at driving a stick first.

would a zx3 be able to give a gt v6 tibron a run for it's money? i know the hp on the tiby is higher, but it seems like they are kinda slugish and heavy so i was curious.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:46 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 437
What I Drive: 2003 Focus zts

FF Reputation: 1 Fabster82 Good Standing Member
i have to tell you that the focus is a great car. i love it. i would definately get a focus if i went back to do it again. its comfortable and compact. insurance wise i pay about 132 per month and im only 21 so i wont get a brake until im 25. you have to test drive the focus to see what makes it such a great car

Mods: clear corners, interior under seat neons, MAC short ram, a bosal exhaust or fs exhaust to come
Old 11-12-2003, 05:55 PM   #10
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
A stock Tiburon GT is what, a mid to low 15s car? A 2.3l with an intake can give it a good chase. My best time was a 15.47, and I've heard of someone pulling a 15.3. It would give it a good run for the money.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.