Amazed at gas mileage - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89429
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE hatch - Frosted glass

FF Reputation: 1 jtphillips Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Smile Amazed at gas mileage

We just took our 2012 Focus SE Hatchback on an 1100 mile trip and averaged 41 MPG. Unbelievable!

Now there were some unusual circumstances. We were doing some sightseeing along the way an so only about 100 miles was on interstate highways. Most of the roads we took had 55-65 MPH speed limits and we stayed pretty close to those limits. Also we live in Florida so 700-800 of the miles were nice flat highways. The temp was in the mid to ups 90's so we had the air going full blast the whole trip. The car was comfortable and we had no fatigue after driving all day.

Driving at higher speeds on interstate highways would yield less mileage as would hilly country. Still we were really impressed. On other trips we have taken with more freeway driving, we have seen the mileage in the 36-38 range - still very good.

The transmission drove me nuts at first (the auto) but it finally settled down after a new firmware upgrade and about 3-4K miles. It still has its quirks but I actually like it. I had the chance to drive a Honda Accord of a realtive while we were on the trip and it felt very sluggish to me. I guess I like the quicker handling and even the more positive shifting of the Focus.

Overall we love it. It is a frosted glass hatchback SE with the convenience package. It has 15000 miles and after the initial tweaking with the transmission, we have had no other problems at all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 15,007, Level 79
Points: 15,007, Level: 79 Points: 15,007, Level: 79 Points: 15,007, Level: 79
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 16 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Wow that is great mileage.
I like the fact one can get it with air conditioning on too. that is a BIG plus!
Yeah flat roads can really help!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91326
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

Points 1,534, Level 22
Points: 1,534, Level: 22 Points: 1,534, Level: 22 Points: 1,534, Level: 22
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 5 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yeah I had a Fiesta with the same set up as my Focus. That is a 6 speed auto. Mileage on my Focus is generally about 3-5 mpg less than my Fiesta. Not a great differnece seeing how it's heavier and has a larger engine with 40 more hp. :)
Old 07-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100116
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A 5-door

Points 752, Level 14
Points: 752, Level: 14 Points: 752, Level: 14 Points: 752, Level: 14
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 WizardSkills Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphillips View Post
We just took our 2012 Focus SE Hatchback on an 1100 mile trip and averaged 41 MPG. Unbelievable!

Overall we love it. It is a frosted glass hatchback SE with the convenience package. It has 15000 miles and after the initial tweaking with the transmission, we have had no other problems at all.
Man I LOVE the frosted glass, but my girl wouldn't have any of it. Ended up with the white platinum. Everytime I see one I regret it.
2009 Town Car SigLim-sold
1999 Ranger Toreador Red XLT 4x4 Off-Road-sold
Old 07-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 4,420, Level 42
Points: 4,420, Level: 42 Points: 4,420, Level: 42 Points: 4,420, Level: 42
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Flat roads help, but hilly roads won't necessarily hurt either so long as going down the other side your not riding the brakes or engine braking. You pay more going up but less going down so as long as your not riding the brakes the mileage will be nearly the same.

Now, if you have to ride the brakes or use engine braking then your wasting energy that will show up as reduced mileage.

Brian
Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 7,855, Level 59
Points: 7,855, Level: 59 Points: 7,855, Level: 59 Points: 7,855, Level: 59
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 14 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
Flat roads help, but hilly roads won't necessarily hurt either so long as going down the other side your not riding the brakes or engine braking. You pay more going up but less going down so as long as your not riding the brakes the mileage will be nearly the same.

Now, if you have to ride the brakes or use engine braking then your wasting energy that will show up as reduced mileage.

Brian
Why is engine braking so bad? You'd be in DSFO mode so you'd be using no fuel, getting all those downhill miles for free.

And is there a third alternative for slowing down on a downhill slope? Applying the brakes or engine braking are all that come to mind, short of pulling a Fred Flinstone!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.