Remote Start - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2003, 07:05 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 688
What I Drive: 03 focus

FF Reputation: 1 oakleywsw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Remote Start

Does anyone have a remote start on there car? Does anyone know how hard it is to put on? What is a good kind? thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2003, 08:03 AM   #2
NY's Most Wanted

Fan#: 102
What I Drive: DUH!

FF Reputation: 5 gthang Good Standing Member
well it depends. My mom has a remote start on her 1998 ford taurus. but according to mom the remote start devices are illegal on manual transmission vehicles. if your car is an MTX, you're gonna have to go out to the car in the frigid weather to start it. however, if you have an automatic tranny, then feel free to go wild. I recommend having the dealer that you buy the starter from install the device. this is because there is a chip that needs to be removed from your keys that could prevent you from getting your car moving. my mom, when she had her's done, wondered why they were drilling the key. they said that in order for the car to start, they would need to remove the chip (for stock FORD security systems); think about it this way, when you try to start your car, the chip is read by a security device near the ignition cylinder. if the chip matches the preset, then, the car will start. however, theoretically, if no chip is present, then the car should not start.

What brand(s) are you considering? Maybe i can find some information about those brands for you.

Any other questions, let us know!
Old 11-10-2003, 01:35 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

ok thanks for the info.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:07 PM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I ordered the remote start should be here i hope by friday and if not then by mon. and they say i dont need to drill into the key.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:01 AM   #5
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(

Fan#: 493
What I Drive: 02 PWorks SVTF, 2014 Subaru Outback

Points 37,070, Level 100
Points: 37,070, Level: 100 Points: 37,070, Level: 100 Points: 37,070, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 avengerc4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
yah remote starts ARE illegal on mtx :) my friend installed one on his though :) why? who knows cause its cool ... :) he has a nissan sentra ser spec v....its a nice car...when him and his friend steve installed it at circuit city (his friend steve works at cc) after hours of course, they went out to the parking lot over by highland grove....well for those of you who have no idea what I'm talkin about circuit city is about a 1/2 mile away from boarders...well they walked over to borders and remote started the car to see how far the remote would work (its an audiovox transponder alarm....badass) well it started and they jumped for joy cause it worked the first time they installed it after 3 hrs and nothin was wrong with it...well they also started to see the car moving :) it was driving on its own cause it was in 1st gear...luckily that transponder has an emergency shutoff for the remote start or it woulda went into the building :)
Old 11-11-2003, 12:04 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 955
What I Drive: 02 Focus Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 Hockeyman Good Standing Member
I have the Ford Remote Start on my focus. I worked at the dealership so I paid a tech 40 bux to install it one Saturday while I was working.

Just be careful when choosing a remote starter. Like gthang said there is a chip in your key, (PATS) Passive Anti Theft System, and some aftermarket remote starts need you to bring in a spare key so they can grind it down and hide it in a module under the dash. When you press the button on the remote start the remote starter sends a signal to the PATS bypass module, which has your grinded down key in it, to send the signal to the ignition ring that is around the ignition cylinder, faking the presence of the PATS key.

The ford version has no bypass module since they have the technology to work with the PATS system in the car and the remote start module learns your PATS key signal.

So there are some little things to be aware of when you purchase a remote starter. Your best bet is to get a Ford remote start kit. No pissing around with keys, no worries about having it hidden under the dash or in the column. Just be aware.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.