Question about powertrain on 2005 Focus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2004, 07:23 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 8456
FF Reputation: 1 infinitime Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Question about powertrain on 2005 Focus

I had a general question about the powertrain family on the 2005 North American Focus models... I understand that both the 2.0 and 2.3 Duratec engines are essentially the same as those used in the new Mazda3... does anyone know if the AUTOMATIC transmissions used in the new Focus is also the same as the one used in the Mazda3... I've had some rather unfortunately experiences with the automatic transmission on the first generation Focus automatics, and was wondering if Ford is still using the same slushbox for the new engines... Would greatly appreciate it also if anyone has a link to tech spec info about the powertrain (with specific model numbers of the transmission) on the 2005 model.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2004, 08:41 PM   #2
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I don't believe its the same. I think its just a modified Focus automagic.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 11-04-2004, 12:25 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14474
What I Drive: A car

FF Reputation: 1 DrRay Good Standing Member
2005 Focus, Mazda 3 and Volvo S40 are all the same platform. I think drivetrain components are different.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:00 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11631
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Chrspy640 Good Standing Member
The 2005 North American Focus is on the same platform as the 00-04 Foci. The new European Focus is on the new platform.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:08 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14444
What I Drive: 2005 red auto ZX4 SE 2.0 PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 mrk874 Good Standing Member
I'm confused.

Are the 05 Focus Duratec 2.0 L engines the same as the Mazda 3 and Volvo S40?

Or is the 05 the same as the 00-04 Focus? I thought the 00-04 had Zetec and the 05's are on a Duratec...

Can someone clear this up?
Old 11-05-2004, 02:03 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11631
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Chrspy640 Good Standing Member
The 05's all have Duratec engines (2.3L in the ST, 2.0 in everything else). These are very similar to the engines in the Mazda 3. However, the 05 Focus chassis is the same as the 00-04 Focus chassis. The Mazda 3, Volvo S40, and the new European Focus share an all new platform, which won't be coming to North America (at least for a few years).
Old 02-15-2005, 11:45 AM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 8412
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 1 pragmatik Good Standing Member
No, the Mazda 3 comes with 148 hp or 160 hp (hatchback and s-model sedan). It's not really the same as the Focus at all.

The auto is one of those auto-sticks that is a hell of a lot of fun if you have to get an auto because you share a car with your wife.

That said, I had a 2004 Madza3 5-Door S with the 160 hp engine. My 2003 Focus ZX5 got wrecked by an a$$hole in an SUV, and the 2005s were not hitting the dealerships in time for us to get one. So we drove the Mazda, liked it and bougt it.

I got rid of the Mazda3 last week and bought a 2005 Focus and willingly took a hell of a loss on the Mazda (though the sweet deal I got on the Focus did almost totally make up for it financially). The Mazda is fast and fun, but it's a little too fragile for the cross-country driving I do. You can't adjust the front alignment (except the toe), so potholes literally bend the whole assembly, which was going to cost me $1000 to fix, in addition to the expensive and short-lived tires that thing needs (which is my own fault for not doing my homework before I bought it). Forget putting people or weight in the back, as the backwheels actually hit the body, no matter how slowly you take a small bump.

Granted, for someone who likes a stick and likes to drive fast on coutry roads, it was a great car. But what Mazda had to do to get the sticker down (while putting on the 17 inch wheels and Eagles RSAs and such) was sacrifice quality and durability. Even the paint on that thing was crappy.

Apologies, just venting. No, the American Focus and the Mazda3 are not alike. The Focus is a better car, period, even without that 160 hp before any mods and those cool wheels.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:43 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14444
What I Drive: 2005 red auto ZX4 SE 2.0 PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 mrk874 Good Standing Member
welcome aboard, and thanks for the info on the 3.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:54 AM   #9
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 8412
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 1 pragmatik Good Standing Member
Thanks, mrk874!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.