MK7 GTI Details Emerging - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81461
What I Drive: 2013 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 1 DarkSpork Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MK7 GTI Details Emerging

According to Top Gear (http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/n...k-7-2012-01-30) the next GTI will have more horsepower, more torque, be lighter and feature a mechanical limited slip differential. It also says it should be available in Europe this year. Sounds like it could be trouble for the ST. What is everybody's thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

Points 1,828, Level 25
Points: 1,828, Level: 25 Points: 1,828, Level: 25 Points: 1,828, Level: 25
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 2 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpork View Post
According to Top Gear (http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/n...k-7-2012-01-30) the next GTI will have more horsepower, more torque, be lighter and feature a mechanical limited slip differential. It also says it should be available in Europe this year. Sounds like it could be trouble for the ST. What is everybody's thoughts?
I just totalled my 08 mkv GTI.

Best thing thats ever happened to me. I'll never buy another VW! For the price of maintenance, gas, etc. You could by a BMW.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
br/o/stang

Fan#: 28542
What I Drive: 72 Skylark, '12 Mustang

Points 28,464, Level 99
Points: 28,464, Level: 99 Points: 28,464, Level: 99 Points: 28,464, Level: 99
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 39 Buickboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
sounds like its heart is in the right place. more power, less weight and no retarded ediff? yus please.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIce View Post
I just totalled my 08 mkv GTI.

Best thing thats ever happened to me. I'll never buy another VW! For the price of maintenance, gas, etc. You could by a BMW.
Isn't that the nature of German cars though? More expensive to maintain? I've been doing a lot of car comparing at TrueDelta.com and the reliability for the 2008+ GTI seems to be on par with my Focus. I think the real problem with VWs is the dealers more than the cars themselves; they seem to be universally awful. What was it that bothered you most about your MKV though?

I don't mind if my next car requires more maintenance than just oil changes so long as it still gets me from point A to B without self-destructing. I used to just want the most reliable car possible, but now I want something with some power, solid build and a nice ride and I'm way too young to buy a Lexus, Toyota, etc.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

Points 1,828, Level 25
Points: 1,828, Level: 25 Points: 1,828, Level: 25 Points: 1,828, Level: 25
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 2 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Quote:
Isn't that the nature of German cars though? More expensive to maintain? I've been doing a lot of car comparing at TrueDelta.com and the reliability for the 2008+ GTI seems to be on par with my Focus. I think the real problem with VWs is the dealers more than the cars themselves; they seem to be universally awful. What was it that bothered you most about your MKV though?

I don't mind if my next car requires more maintenance than just oil changes so long as it still gets me from point A to B without self-destructing. I used to just want the most reliable car possible, but now I want something with some power, solid build and a nice ride and I'm way too young to buy a Lexus, Toyota, etc.
First off the tranny is AWFUL! There's a part in it that goes bad in every one of them and takes about 1-3 months to fix. The reliability itself is worse than horrid. On the MKV alone there were about 3-4 important parts that were guaranteed to break no matter what.

Every 40K you had to change your tranny fluid....only about $800. Oil changed were $60 (if you did them yourself). Which was a pain in the ass in itself because nothing is like it is on a normal car. Only premium gas, and it still only gets 26-26 mpg if you go easy on it.

Working on the car yourself is basically out of the question. Unless youre really good with cars, dont mind breaking a few plastic clips, and LOVE working in super tight spaces.

Getting anything fixed by the dealer or VW itself is basically impossible, unless its blatantly obvious. My lumbar broke and it took me 3 dealers to find one that would admit it wouldnt go back in.

Its so bad they were investigated multiple times by the federal government for not fixing things that were going wrong on almost every GTI on the road.

Shall I continue....?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
I don't care

Fan#: 19367
What I Drive: '99 Saab 9-3

Points 7,098, Level 55
Points: 7,098, Level: 55 Points: 7,098, Level: 55 Points: 7,098, Level: 55
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 ZX4STDoug Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
First off the tranny is AWFUL! There's a part in it that goes bad in every one of them and takes about 1-3 months to fix. The reliability itself is worse than horrid. On the MKV alone there were about 3-4 important parts that were guaranteed to break no matter what.

Every 40K you had to change your tranny fluid....only about $800. Oil changed were $60 (if you did them yourself). Which was a pain in the ass in itself because nothing is like it is on a normal car. Only premium gas, and it still only gets 26-26 mpg if you go easy on it.

Working on the car yourself is basically out of the question. Unless youre really good with cars, dont mind breaking a few plastic clips, and LOVE working in super tight spaces.

Getting anything fixed by the dealer or VW itself is basically impossible, unless its blatantly obvious. My lumbar broke and it took me 3 dealers to find one that would admit it wouldnt go back in.

Its so bad they were investigated multiple times by the federal government for not fixing things that were going wrong on almost every GTI on the road.

Shall I continue....?
First off, you can see what I drive. It's my 5th VW/Audi product. Is it perfect? Nope, definitely not. I've had my share of warranty issues, including some of the items that "go wrong on almost every GTI on the road." But you make some statements that are simply not true.

The part that "goes bad in every one of them" is the Mechantronics unit in the DSG Transmission. There was a recall for many DSG units in 2006-2008 models. Mine happened to be effected by this recall. The unit was replaced under warranty and is now covered for 10 yrs or 100,000 miles. To say this component goes back in every one of them is an extreme exaggeration.

You are correct - VW recommends that the fluid for the DSG unit be changed every 40K miles. But it's no where near $800 as you state and if you were paying that, then you were very naive and got screwed. Period. The typical dealer charge around here is in the $300-400 range, as are charges at most independent shops that may specialize in Euro cars. The fluid isn't cheap, but like anything else, you are more than welcome to change it yourself.

My own personal experience with my VW dealer has been nothing but positive. They fought for me with VW to get the intake cam replaced (yes, a known issue with the FSI engine), even though it didn't quite meet VW's wear criteria for replacement. Even though my car is modified, I had zero issues with any of the warranty work and I'll honestly say the dealership experience was better than I expected, compared to some I've had with other manufacturers.

My car isn't stock, and it gets driven pretty aggressively most all of the time. I consistently average just shy of 28 mpg and I've gotten close to 32 mpg on steady highway runs. For the performance I can't gripe one bit. Your mileage may vary.

It's clear you had a bad experience with the car and brand and I can understand your frustrations, but try to be factual with your statements next time around.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

I get the picture. I know the DSG is an awful transmission if you value your money but I don't want one anyways (I like having a third pedal). Did the car not come with the included 3 year/36,000 mile maintenance when you bought it? I don't bother with dealerships if I'm paying out of pocket, it's a ripoff anywhere.

I did look into a MKV a few years ago and ultimately decided I wasn't ready to spend that much on a car, but I do remember there were a couple small parts that fail often (diverter valve or something?). MK6 seems to be leaps and bounds better. The oil change thing can't be true unless you're using something like Amsoil or VW branded oil and the filters are $20/each. Fully synthetic motor oil is less than $30/5 quarts for most brands at Walmart. Most premium/sports cars require premium gas (a whopping extra $5/tank at most). I'm not sure how much of your own automotive work you do but most modern compact cars are pretty cramped to work on. I'm not doubting your car had some issues and you are an unhappy customer but it sounds to me like it's the dealerships fault far more than the cars' fault (as I said earlier).

Quote:
I can't comprehend how this could possibly be true. We get the same GTI the rest of the world gets and VWs are generally regarded as reliable cars outside of North America. There are GTI owners on other forums that haven't had any issues. I'm honestly less afraid to buy a GTI than I am to buy a new Mustang (poorly built Chinese Getrag mt82 that received complaints long before they went into the Mustang, shoddy 2-piece drive-shaft design in V6). Did you mean to say that things were going wrong with every GTI with a DSG? You can go into more detail about why you didn't like your MKV if you'd like, I always like being talked out of spending money on stuff I don't need .
Old 01-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
I don't care

Fan#: 19367
What I Drive: '99 Saab 9-3

Points 7,098, Level 55
Points: 7,098, Level: 55 Points: 7,098, Level: 55 Points: 7,098, Level: 55
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 ZX4STDoug Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
I get the picture. I know the DSG is an awful transmission if you value your money but I don't want one anyways (I like having a third pedal). Did the car not come with the included 3 year/36,000 mile maintenance when you bought it? I don't bother with dealerships if I'm paying out of pocket, it's a ripoff anywhere.

I did look into a MKV a few years ago and ultimately decided I wasn't ready to spend that much on a car, but I do remember there were a couple small parts that fail often (diverter valve or something?). MK6 seems to be leaps and bounds better. The oil change thing can't be true unless you're using something like Amsoil or VW branded oil and the filters are $20/each. Fully synthetic motor oil is less than $30/5 quarts for most brands at Walmart. Most premium/sports cars require premium gas (a whopping extra $5/tank at most). I'm not sure how much of your own automotive work you do but most modern compact cars are pretty cramped to work on. I'm not doubting your car had some issues and you are an unhappy customer but it sounds to me like it's the dealerships fault far more than the cars' fault (as I said earlier).

I can't comprehend how this could possibly be true. We get the same GTI the rest of the world gets and VWs are generally regarded as reliable cars outside of North America. There are GTI owners on other forums that haven't had any issues. I'm honestly less afraid to buy a GTI than I am to buy a new Mustang (poorly built Chinese Getrag mt82 that received complaints long before they went into the Mustang, shoddy 2-piece drive-shaft design in V6). Did you mean to say that things were going wrong with every GTI with a DSG? You can go into more detail about why you didn't like your MKV if you'd like, I always like being talked out of spending money on stuff I don't need .
The DSG is an awful transmission in what regard? I was hesitant to go with it vs. a manual, but the "right" car came along and it happened to have the DSG.
I don't regret it for a second. I have no qualms about mine, as I know I'm covered until 100K. It's a solid transmission, and can withstand boatloads of HP and torque (unlike the oem clutch which can be a weak spot with cars stage 2 and above.)

In regards to the oil change, he's not far off. VW spec oil is around 9.00/qt for Mobil or Castrol. Motul (which I use) is higher yet. OEM filter runs around 12.00-15.00. The local Euro shop which is my APR dealer gets just over 70.00 with taxes and disposal fees for an oil/filter change, so I have them do mine. The VW dealer I use gets close to 90.00. Fact of life, and a lot of it is due to the oil requirement spec, not because it's labor intensive, etc.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX4STDoug View Post
The DSG is an awful transmission in what regard? I was hesitant to go with it vs. a manual, but the "right" car came along and it happened to have the DSG.
I don't regret it for a second. I have no qualms about mine, as I know I'm covered until 100K. It's a solid transmission, and can withstand boatloads of HP and torque (unlike the oem clutch which can be a weak spot with cars stage 2 and above.)

In regards to the oil change, he's not far off. VW spec oil is around 9.00/qt for Mobil or Castrol. Motul (which I use) is higher yet. OEM filter runs around 12.00-15.00. The local Euro shop which is my APR dealer gets just over 70.00 with taxes and disposal fees for an oil/filter change, so I have them do mine. The VW dealer I use gets close to 90.00. Fact of life, and a lot of it is due to the oil requirement spec, not because it's labor intensive, etc.
I guess it depends on what your priorities are. They are more prone to failure than a conventional automatic or manual as they are more complex. They do require more maintenance than a conventional manual or automatic. However, the design and way they operate is brilliant. I'd rather have a manual, even in traffic (the plus side nobody mentions about driving manual in traffic is that it keeps you from dozing off and causes you to plan out your starts/stops better so that you aren't riding the clutch) so to me it's not worthwhile by any stretch. Good to know about the oil.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86083
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 CoasterDan Good Standing Member
Sounds good to me!

My 2007 GTI 6 speed has been reliable, fun and is not expensive to maintain. However, I have only 37,000 miles on it so far.

I'd buy another one.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.