Are Small Cars A Problem At Ford? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72040
What I Drive: Focus 5 door (used to drive)

Points 1,482, Level 21
Points: 1,482, Level: 21 Points: 1,482, Level: 21 Points: 1,482, Level: 21
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 bryantest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Are Small Cars A Problem At Ford?

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...ogle_news_blog

Now, Ford faces its biggest test of that self-discipline. At the end of December, Ford dealers had between 1.5 times and 2 times as many Focus and Fiesta small cars as auto makers typically like to have on lots and in showrooms. Ford executives insist they won’t revert to the old days, and could slow production to drain the excess inventory.

Ford ended 2011 with enough Focus compacts on dealer lots to last 92 days at the current rate of sales, and enough Fiesta subcompacts to last 126 days. Auto makers generally like a 60-day supply or less.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Not surprised that Ford is dealing with this problem, with exceptionally high prices for the Focus and Fiesta, it would get higher profit margins at the expense of lower sales.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 15,007, Level 79
Points: 15,007, Level: 79 Points: 15,007, Level: 79 Points: 15,007, Level: 79
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 16 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Gee Why did I have to go 60 miles away from a 1.5 million metro area to find a Ford Focus I might buy, from some little farm town in the sticks.
IMO the problem is the dealers DO NOT HAVE A CLUE what folks really want to buy.
Look how many folks new to FF who had to order a Focus to get anything like what they wanted.
Same thing for Ford with the goofy set of option packages...

I certainly would have bought a car locally, IF one i could live with was available.

So what I am saying is the dealers have piles of cars NO ONE WANTS!!!
They order colors and options no one wants to buy.. then complain when all of it sits on thier lots.

Rant over.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 16,146, Level 81
Points: 16,146, Level: 81 Points: 16,146, Level: 81 Points: 16,146, Level: 81
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 13 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Exactly want Ford is trying to accomplish, is to get the right mix of built units to meet demands. This eliminates the need to throw cash incentives on the hood as was the only way Ford sold small cars prior to the Fiesta and new Focus.
Ford is not in the race to be the leader in sales, but to make a profit on each unit sold.
It is bad for the budget shopper, but much better in the long run for owners, as it keeps residuals much higher when you want to sell or trade in.

Now the big issue is for dealerships to get educated on what stock to order, as my feeling is that the type of customer is quite different from the customer who was only shopping Ford cars based on "price".

Ford is not the budget car maker it once was viewed as.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

Points 496, Level 9
Points: 496, Level: 9 Points: 496, Level: 9 Points: 496, Level: 9
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Gee Why did I have to go 60 miles away from a 1.5 million metro area to find a Ford Focus I might buy, from some little farm town in the sticks.
IMO the problem is the dealers DO NOT HAVE A CLUE what folks really want to buy.
Look how many folks new to FF who had to order a Focus to get anything like what they wanted.
Same thing for Ford with the goofy set of option packages...

I certainly would have bought a car locally, IF one i could live with was available.

So what I am saying is the dealers have piles of cars NO ONE WANTS!!!
They order colors and options no one wants to buy.. then complain when all of it sits on thier lots.

Rant over.
Totally agree that that is at least part of the issue. Options are where the profit margin is. So, just about every car they order has a couple of expensive options that few people want to pay for in hopes that you will just buy it because you want it NOW.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 75579
What I Drive: 07 Focus ST v1.2

Points 2,714, Level 31
Points: 2,714, Level: 31 Points: 2,714, Level: 31 Points: 2,714, Level: 31
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 TitanFocus76 Good Standing Member
As Elizabeth said most dealers do not do a great job of ordering the right cars or when factory orders come in (usually weird colors packages they need to get rid of) they dont change them at all to make them somewhat desirable. My boss usually spends a good amount of time trying to order the right cars but it is tough. You can never stock every option and color and someone will always want something different. Cars sitting on a lot for a long time is bad for a dealer because most are paying finance charges for all of those cars.

Carlisle Ford Not just hid's sponsor pick

Sedan Revolution #152
Old 01-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 4,067, Level 40
Points: 4,067, Level: 40 Points: 4,067, Level: 40 Points: 4,067, Level: 40
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 14 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Ford is a 'new' company now, but their dealer network is still old school.

This is a problem.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
Ford is a 'new' company now, but their dealer network is still old school.

This is a problem.
Thisē

Very well said. Look at what is happening in other retail sectors. Sears, once an American icon is in big trouble. They never adapted to changing times. Except for Sears brand stuff (such as Craftsman), the products in Sears stores can be sold elsewhere. The problem for Ford is that their cars cannot be sold except through their dealers. So they are hamstrung by a sales network that looks at per-vehicle profit as the main driver of all decisions. They don't think about selling a small car to someone today and a larger one in the future.

FWIW, I have bought three new Fords (≈$60K) from the same place since my 01 ZX3 because the dealership didn't treat my like a second rate customer when I went shopping for the smallest, cheapest car on the lot. But that was not the case for the first dealership I went to. Their loss.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 01-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88165
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kelscar Good Standing Member
I agree with several posts here. We have been in the market for a Focus for a while now. In November we took a vacation that allowed us to search for cars in three other states. All we really want is a base-optioned Titanium Hatch w/winter package. Preferred in Yellow but could've lived with a couple other colors. No dice.

So, December 3 we decided to order a car. Almost 6 weeks later, still no VIN because we are caught up in the dealer allocation scheme. So far the local dealer cannot get a car allocated. I fail to understand why a customer-ordered car does not take precedence over another dealer's stock order. Come on Ford, get us the car so we can get you your money!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 75579
What I Drive: 07 Focus ST v1.2

Points 2,714, Level 31
Points: 2,714, Level: 31 Points: 2,714, Level: 31 Points: 2,714, Level: 31
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 TitanFocus76 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelscar View Post
I agree with several posts here. We have been in the market for a Focus for a while now. In November we took a vacation that allowed us to search for cars in three other states. All we really want is a base-optioned Titanium Hatch w/winter package. Preferred in Yellow but could've lived with a couple other colors. No dice.

So, December 3 we decided to order a car. Almost 6 weeks later, still no VIN because we are caught up in the dealer allocation scheme. So far the local dealer cannot get a car allocated. I fail to understand why a customer-ordered car does not take precedence over another dealer's stock order. Come on Ford, get us the car so we can get you your money!

Good call with ordering it because you know it will come exactly how you want it. The only thing that stinks is you also got caught in the holiday shutdown for the factory, usually about 2 weeks so that hurts ordered cars as well. Have you salesman, or manager etc call or email the rep to put pressure on them as retail orders always take priority

Carlisle Ford Not just hid's sponsor pick

Sedan Revolution #152
Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelscar View Post

Are you sure it isn't your dealer screwing something up? I ordered my Focus on January 2nd and on January 5th it had a VIN number assigned to it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.