Powershift will get better and here's why.... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Powershift will get better and here's why....

This great, I havent heard of powershift being used in any racing program yet, but this should bring back a lot of feedback to R&D, and we should see much improvements thanks to this racing program.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/14/2...ord-frankfurt/

All-New Formula Ford Races Into View For 2012 At Frankfurt Show

Ford unveils bold new 2012-specification Formula Ford car, making increasing use of road car technologies and featuring latest 1.6-litre Ford EcoBoost engine
New car to be initially introduced in 2012 Dunlop MSA Formula Ford Championship of Great Britain. Plans being finalised to introduce the car into new and existing championships around the globe
All-new design is first tubular steel single seat car to meet latest FIA safety standards. Compliance to FIA standards opens up markets for the formula
Formula Ford continues to be a key proving ground for development of driving and engineering talent, from where successful careers in Formula 1 have been achieved by many

FRANKFURT, Germany, Sept. 12, 2011 Ford today unveiled a bold new 2012-specification
Formula Ford car to visitors at the Frankfurt Motor Show. It's the formula that has been an
essential step in the professional racing driver's career for more than 40 years and this all-new
car for next season will have talented young drivers around the world eager to get behind the
wheel to prove their mettle.

The new-generation Formula Ford cars will use a production-based 1.6-litre Ford EcoBoost
direct injection, turbocharged engine, limited to producing around 165PS and 220Nm, and
mated to a 6-speed sequential transmission with mechanical shift mechanism. The 2012
specification car represents another advance in technology and performance for the formula.

Freedom of chassis design, engine build and numerous technical items of specification have
always been standout features of Formula Ford and this continues with the 2012 specification
car. With only Formula 1 and Formula 3 offering this same level of freedom, it helps drive
technical standards to exceptionally high levels from car manufacturers, teams and drivers alike.
The different implications of car set-up and each individual chassis variation, create a steep
learning curve for drivers in particular, helping to accelerate the development of their abilities to take the next step in motorsport.

Ford's global kinetic design philosophy is also echoed in the new-generation car, giving fans of
the championship a style they can easily recognise. Car manufacturers will still be able to add
that crucial individual touch to their cars though, with only the requirement to keep specific parts developed for aerodynamic equivalence mandated in the regulations.

Creating a safe environment is a key concern for Formula Ford, and the new car boasts
increased levels of safety including a tubular chassis - the first in a single seat racer to comply with the latest, stringent FIA safety standards - front and rear carbon crash structures, side intrusion panels, FIA specification head restraint system, wheel tethers and an FIA removable seat.

FIA compliance will allow the 2012 specification car to be applicable for Formula Ford
championships around the globe, especially in emerging markets where alignment to FIA
regulations is commonplace.

"The 2012 specification car's FIA approved safety attributes, powerful Ford EcoBoost engine
and striking kinetic design, make for a really appealing proposition for race teams and drivers," said Mike Norton, motorsport manager, Ford of Europe. "Formula Ford is already well-known as the perfect proving ground for up-and-coming drivers and engineers, and it is Ford's desire to continue nurturing this by supporting teams and manufacturers across the globe with the safest environment, latest technologies and most attractive packages. Formula Ford is in its 44th consecutive year and remains a very popular choice for drivers around the world. Many Formula Ford drivers have gone onto careers in Formula 1. This is a great compliment to Formula Ford and we are at Ford proud of this achievement."

For race teams and car manufactures Formula Ford represents a fantastic opportunity to prove
their abilities and highlights Ford's dedication to continuing its support of motorsport. From
World Rally Championship to single seat racing, Ford's motorsport heritage is one of the longest and strongest of any manufacturer. The 2012 specification Formula Ford car will carry that torch into the future with some style.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 16,280, Level 81
Points: 16,280, Level: 81 Points: 16,280, Level: 81 Points: 16,280, Level: 81
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 13 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
The main problem here is that the race car DCT will not be programmed for fuel efficiency like it is in the street cars, so I am not sure that this would help the as you mention.
But anything is possible.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
Hal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31209
What I Drive: 2001 Infa-red Street Ediition Sedan

Points 383, Level 7
Points: 383, Level: 7 Points: 383, Level: 7 Points: 383, Level: 7
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Hal Good Standing Member
Quote:
6-speed sequential transmission with mechanical shift mechanism.
That doesn't sound like a DCT transmission to me. More like the trans from a WRC car.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

Points 3,663, Level 38
Points: 3,663, Level: 38 Points: 3,663, Level: 38 Points: 3,663, Level: 38
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
^^ This. Sounds like exactly the same thing that is used in the new S2000 spec wrc cars. Note that this year they stepped away from electronic shifting and have switched back to a mechanical, sequential gearbox.

Also, electronic shifted transmissions have been common in top level racing for a while now. The problem is getting lazy americans to stop whining that the shifting is to harsh, or makes, gasp, some chattering clutch noise.

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
I think there's some room for concern for the future of Ford's PowerShift technology. It will be dropped in favor of an 8-speed traditional automatic for the 2013 Fiesta (along with a 1.0L, 3-cylinder EcoBoost engine). No word on whether the Focus will get similar treatment. With all the complaints of the PowerShift transmission consumers have been filing, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised (and somewhat disappointed) if they're planning to put it on hiatus indefinitely.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile I saw powershift on the side of the car, so assumed thats what it was using. My point was racing programs have brought technology to the public for generations and is one of the best R&D programs you can have.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87593
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 thefro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
That doesn't sound like a DCT transmission to me. More like the trans from a WRC car.
Yep... they're not going to use a DCT that shifts for the driver in a racing series. That's a big no-no.

A big part of wrangling the speed out of the car is knowing when to shift properly.
Build Date 9/1 - ETA 9/12
Arrived 9/10 - Picked up 9/16
Old 09-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46763
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 2 thehubster Good Standing Member
I agree with drkknight. Racing has always done great things for cars. where do you think we got rotor style brakes? they may not be using the DCT but it will do wonders for the ecoboost. They will be able to see how it works at its peak. even in racing they are always looking for ways to keep the car on the track longer. If they can get a racecar to save gas what do you think they will be able to do with a daily driver? I think its awesome how much ford is getting into the motorsports, and the little motorsports. ya there are alot of people that see the big racing like nascar but the enthusiasts go to the little stuff cause they can be more involved. I think ford is doing a good job here.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

Points 3,663, Level 38
Points: 3,663, Level: 38 Points: 3,663, Level: 38 Points: 3,663, Level: 38
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
^^ I don't really think Formula Ford tech will trickle down to the masses. I'm just glad they are updating the engine from the old 1.6L Kent. In the US, the SCCA has really forced Ford to do this, as they had allowed competitors to replace the ancient kent motor with a honda motor from the Fit.

It will be interesting to see how the grassroots/amateur motorsports level will adapt to a turbocharged engine in entry level formula cars.

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
Old 09-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,933, Level 98
Points: 27,933, Level: 98 Points: 27,933, Level: 98 Points: 27,933, Level: 98
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
With rumors pointing towards Ford going back to TC-ATs, I'm afraid we'll see the end of the more performance oriented DCT design on the consumer side like the last few times it was introduced to the public by a big auto producer.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.