I used white fingernail polish.. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83794
What I Drive: '05, red, klr

FF Reputation: 1 AlvinTostig Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I used white fingernail polish..

I thought I posted in this website last week about the two tiny scratches in my rear bumper and whether or not I could get by using white fingernail polish to deal with the situation, but I can't find said post (or any other ones I wrote around here).

Anyway, the few folks that responded to my query went against the idea of using fingernail polish but, because I'm out of a job and wanted to save a buck, I located a bottle of said polish at Walmart for $1.97 and applied it. And guess what? It looks like CRAP!

I thought a white car and a bottle of white nail polish would be a good match. I was wrong as the polish is much brighter than the white of the car and now it looks just horrible!

I hate the idea of putting a bumper sticker over it, but I might if I can find a nice one that couldn't possibly offend anyone (as then they'd key it).

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know that one should avoid such shortcuts and avoid making things worse.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
well, that should have been expected. Touch up paint is not that expensive. http://www.expresspaint.com/productc...&idCategory=23
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 07-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
Hatch Nation #136

Fan#: 86366
What I Drive: 2003 Mineral Grey Metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 14 benkap Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Trying to save a buck always ends up costing two.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
My car got keyed no more than two weeks after moving into a new apartment complex with my last girlfriend. I went out and got some touch up paint from my dealership and followed the instructions exactly (cleaning the surface, applying light layers, waiting in between coatings, etc.). What I ended up with was a rough patch of uneven paint caked onto the area below my driver side door handle. It actually looked worse than when I just had the scratches.

I learned that there's just no way you can match metallic paint because of the way the light reflects off of it from different angles. I was quoted over a thousand bucks from a dealership recommended body shop to have my entire driver side door removed, disassembled, and resprayed. They refused to paint just the tiny portion that was scratched because they said it would never look right. No surprise there.

The good news is you have a white car. It's probably the easiest color to fix up (assuming it's not some weird pearlescent/triple coating). Buuut at the same time don't expect touch up paint to be some miracle solution. Matching up metallic paint with any sort of touch up marker/brush perfectly is pretty much impossible. It'll definitely look better than the nail polish though. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

Points 2,660, Level 31
Points: 2,660, Level: 31 Points: 2,660, Level: 31 Points: 2,660, Level: 31
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
This is probably neither here nor there, but I've used a Dupli-color spray paint that was amazingly good. It was for an '05 Silverado with the dark green metal flake finish, and the color and texture match was just outstanding.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 42021
FF Reputation: 1 nepafocus03 Good Standing Member
ive used the color match pen type things that are like 6 or 7 bucks. they make it look better from faraaway but up close not so mch.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 42021
FF Reputation: 1 nepafocus03 Good Standing Member
also they make a decal thatlooks like a bandaid for your car's "owies" if you like that kind o thing lol
Old 07-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78342
What I Drive: 2003 Twlight Sedan SPI

FF Reputation: 1 Ehbnerohraa Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just put a white vinyl sticker over it, I'm sure you'll pull it off
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 07-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
The touch up felt marker was the one I used. It comes with a felt tip and requires quite a bit of pressure to get the paint to wick up to the tip. I definitely wouldn't recommend it because it applies the paint unevenly no matter how careful you are. You end up with blobs of paint on top of a tiny scratch and it looks awful.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83794
What I Drive: '05, red, klr

FF Reputation: 1 AlvinTostig Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmoose View Post
My car got keyed no more than two weeks after moving into a new apartment complex with my last girlfriend. I went out and got some touch up paint from my dealership and followed the instructions exactly (cleaning the surface, applying light layers, waiting in between coatings, etc.). What I ended up with was a rough patch of uneven paint caked onto the area below my driver side door handle. It actually looked worse than when I just had the scratches.

I learned that there's just no way you can match metallic paint because of the way the light reflects off of it from different angles. I was quoted over a thousand bucks from a dealership recommended body shop to have my entire driver side door removed, disassembled, and resprayed. They refused to paint just the tiny portion that was scratched because they said it would never look right. No surprise there.

The good news is you have a white car. It's probably the easiest color to fix up (assuming it's not some weird pearlescent/triple coating). Buuut at the same time don't expect touch up paint to be some miracle solution. Matching up metallic paint with any sort of touch up marker/brush perfectly is pretty much impossible. It'll definitely look better than the nail polish though. Good luck!
I'm really sorry to hear about some low-life keying your car. If I ever saw someone doing that to anyone's car I'd be tempted to put my soul in a karmic tailspin by doing something vicious to the person. Vengeance is mine sayith the Lord!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.