Test drove a 2012 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Get Squashed

Fan#: 33384
What I Drive: '04 Comp. Orange SVT 3dr.

Points 78,690, Level 100
Points: 78,690, Level: 100 Points: 78,690, Level: 100 Points: 78,690, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 44 OrangeSVTguy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Test drove a 2012

Stopped by the local dealership to test drive a 2012 focus. Wanted to get kinda a feel for the model when the ST comes out. They only had 1 model with a manual but was the base model. Drove like a slug so to speak lol. Handling sucked but it did have some pep. I sure can't wait for the ST now as I'm sure it'll be 1000x better than the stock focus I drove.

Looked at the titaniums and can't believe they stickered for $28k. My svt was only $23k but only paid $18k. The sales lady sure was shocked when I showed her my original window sticker . I sure am hoping the St will be around $25k.

I'll be paying cash for mine, home equity loan FTW lol.

SVT Squad #227 || Build # 1329 of 1978 || FF ROTM Oct. 2006
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85898
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 KonaBlueHatch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
why would she be shocked that it stickered for 23K back in 2004?
Old 06-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70327
What I Drive: '13 Mustang 5.0L 6spd, '10 Focus SE

Points 3,041, Level 33
Points: 3,041, Level: 33 Points: 3,041, Level: 33 Points: 3,041, Level: 33
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Gabe2010SE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
Stopped by the local dealership to test drive a 2012 focus. Wanted to get kinda a feel for the model when the ST comes out. They only had 1 model with a manual but was the base model. Drove like a slug so to speak lol. Handling sucked but it did have some pep. I sure can't wait for the ST now as I'm sure it'll be 1000x better than the stock focus I drove.

Looked at the titaniums and can't believe they stickered for $28k. My svt was only $23k but only paid $18k. The sales lady sure was shocked when I showed her my original window sticker .

I sure am hoping the St will be around $25k.
Keep hoping ... lol

The ST will be the first Focus to go over $30k ... unfortunately ...
Old 06-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 41668
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE hatch 5mt

FF Reputation: 2 lscrx Good Standing Member
Car & Driver tested a 2012 SE 5MT and recorded 0-60 in 7.3 seconds... that doesn't sound too far off what SVT's run stock. That being said, I haven't driven a 2012, so I'm not saying you're wrong.

* I just Googled "2004 Focus SVT 0-60" and saw results anywhere from 6.9-7.6...

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 06-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscrx View Post
Car & Driver tested a 2012 SE 5MT and recorded 0-60 in 7.3 seconds... that doesn't sound too far off what SVT's run stock. That being said, I haven't driven a 2012, so I'm not saying you're wrong.

* I just Googled "2004 Focus SVT 0-60" and saw results anywhere from 6.9-7.6...

Posted via FF Mobile

Posted via FF Mobile True, but almost remeber perception of how a car drives will aslo be effected by where the power is in the rev band and the 2012 does weight more then the svt. So regardless of the numbers on paper itll feel different to the driver. Also Orangesvtguy could had mods in his car.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:43 AM   #6
Get Squashed

Fan#: 33384
What I Drive: '04 Comp. Orange SVT 3dr.

Points 78,690, Level 100
Points: 78,690, Level: 100 Points: 78,690, Level: 100 Points: 78,690, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 44 OrangeSVTguy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Going from an SVT(7 years old) to a new base Focus there was still quite a bit of difference. It did have "pep" like I mentioned before but the handling just wasn't there and that had a huge impact on my driving experiece. I was even describing to the sales lady how well the SVT handled and even offered her a ride in my car lol.
SVT Squad #227 || Build # 1329 of 1978 || FF ROTM Oct. 2006
Old 06-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
Going from an SVT(7 years old) to a new base Focus there was still quite a bit of difference. It did have "pep" like I mentioned before but the handling just wasn't there and that had a huge impact on my driving experiece. I was even describing to the sales lady how well the SVT handled and even offered her a ride in my car lol.
Man of course, you probably have suspension and rims lol. C/D also had an SE manual hitting the skidpad at .88g which is pretty high for an econocar (and the same as the SVT they tested in '03). I feel like I can whip this car around real nicely, however I havent driven an SVT, and I prefer a little softer ride for the shitty city driving. It does need to be spun up to hustle.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
This is going to sound stupid but I didn't realize that traction control reduced engine power too (I thought that was for stability control only). When I recently turned it off it felt like I just gained 20 more horsepower out of nowhere. I love my car to death now and only drive with traction control in rain/snow. So with this newfound knowledge I refuse to own a car that doesn't have 100% defeatable traction/stability control.

I feel as though the electronics are ultimately the biggest blame for the 2012 Focus. When I watched Fifth Gear's review I noticed that traction/stability control still intervenes even after you turn it off. That might be why it still feels like the car is still holding back on you, when compared with the SVTF (which remember didn't have all this electronic crap).

I DON'T recommend doing this, but hypothetically speaking if you pull the fuse that feeds power to the ABS circuit it will disable all assists altogether. Without any power to the ABS sensors you're back to having an old school car with complete control. However I don't know if this would cause any complications, and I can't imagine your dealership being too happy to discover those fault codes either...
Old 06-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 42021
FF Reputation: 1 nepafocus03 Good Standing Member
i also test drove a 2012 and wasnt really that impressed with the handling, i thought the fiesta was more fun. but the focus i drove was a se i think without the sport package and with the steel wheels/hubcaps. i will have to try again and see if the bigger rims and suspension/brake upgrades make it better ;)
Old 06-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepafocus03 View Post
i also test drove a 2012 and wasnt really that impressed with the handling, i thought the fiesta was more fun. but the focus i drove was a se i think without the sport package and with the steel wheels/hubcaps. i will have to try again and see if the bigger rims and suspension/brake upgrades make it better ;)
Agreed. I thought the Fiesta was more fun too. Light car + small wheelbase = FUN. The Fiesta also has an FRPP Handling Pack option that makes it even tighter around corners. Unfortunately the Fiesta is also the lesser practical of the two. And I think you're right, you'd have to jump into SE Sport Package or Titanium territory for the Focus to compete. But then we're talking over $20k to achieve that. :-(

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.