Just my thoughts about something..... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25247
What I Drive: 2010 Red 4-Door SES

Points 1,535, Level 22
Points: 1,535, Level: 22 Points: 1,535, Level: 22 Points: 1,535, Level: 22
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 p58ff Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just my thoughts about something.....

I just checked the FF site and I see two instances of new Foci having problems. One looks to be a gasket and attendant oil leak and the other is a drivability problem concerning the clutch.

If I paid $15 or $20-thousand dollars for a car I'd be hopping mad about something like this. From what I read it sounds like people are taking it in stride...'Oh well, it happens."

An oil leak less then a week after purchase? And a big leak at that! A clutch having to 'wear in'? I think not.

Certainly gives me pause about even looking at the new offering. I drive Fords so don't think that I am troll just sniping at Fords. I have a '96 Explorer, an '02 Focus, '93 Mustang, and a '95 F-150. Brother drives an F-250.

It just seems to be rather dubious to see these issues so soon. Yes, I also realize that we don't hear about the ones that ran great from day one. Still, a new design by a major player....doesn't sound good to me.

I certainly hope these events are not indicative of the quality of the new Focus.

Ford...you listening?

Pav

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The Fiesta has its share of problems too. Specifically the biggest one being the PowerShift transmission. And it sounds like a few Focus owners are also having roughness issues with it as well. Both the Fiesta and Focus are new and this sort of thing is to be expected for their introductory year. Give it a year or two and they'll be fixed.

If you remember the same exact thing happened with the very first version of the Focus in America. That thing was plagued with recalls. But by the 2002-2003 model years, virtually all the problems were fixed and it was an outstanding car. Sucks but that's just how it is with most manufacturers. It's not a unique thing exclusive to Ford.

Oh, and Ford is listening. They're being very proactive in fixing the issues at dealerships. Many customers have already received complete replacement transmissions for the Fiesta, for example. Rather than replacing parts (as they break) they want to send entire defective units back into their research departments to inspect what is wrong, so they can make the proper changes for future model years. It's not like they're denying anything and sweeping all their problems underneath a rug. It's a learning process which unfortunately has to take place with production models occasionally.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

Points 2,660, Level 31
Points: 2,660, Level: 31 Points: 2,660, Level: 31 Points: 2,660, Level: 31
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmoose View Post
It's a learning process which unfortunately has to take place with production models occasionally.
That's just not a very good excuse in this day and age. Do you remember how Ford was extensively testing a bunch of the new Foci straight off the assembly line as an extra measure of quality control? Apparently that wasn't enough.

I hate to be a pessimist, but I bet Ford knew damn well certain problems would be coming up and wanted to get a look at early failures to get some lead time on finding fixes. They probably thought it was more important to meet their delivery dates and try to appease the paying customers later on, which is a ridiculous strategy IMO.

It's a brand new car and these things happen, but there really have been too many different problems with these cars and I'm disappointed with Ford.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Points 8,322, Level 61
Points: 8,322, Level: 61 Points: 8,322, Level: 61 Points: 8,322, Level: 61
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 12 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Can anyone point me to a brand new car that doesn't have problems, that doesn't cost more then $30,000?
Old 06-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84536
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Focus_Mafia Good Standing Member
I've had my 2012 Focus Sedan, 5 speed for 2 months now with NO issues whatsoever. I've also got a 2011 Fiesta with no issues. Not saying things don't happen but of course you're gonna hear the problems when the few issues that do occur. If you have your doubts about the 2012's then don't buy one. That's what's great about the free market, you have plenty of choices. And if you're a Focus fanboy then wait until the 2013's come out to see the "issues" worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Old 06-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86019
What I Drive: 07 Shelby Mustang GT, 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 CrazyDave Good Standing Member
My Mustang will turn 4 in July, with over 30,000 hotrod miles on him.

I've not had a single problem to report, or return to the dealer for.

Go Ford.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
Bunneh Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Can anyone point me to a brand new car that doesn't have problems, that doesn't cost more then $30,000?

And don't bother looking because you're not going to find any. Doesn't matter if it's domestic, european, or japanese... it happens to every manufacturer.

If you're ever bored go to to safercar.gov, click vehicle owners -> search complaints link, and read the reports yourself. You're going to see that the first model year version of ANY car is going to have way more complaints versus the years that proceed it.

I've mentioned this many times before. If you want reliability on anything new (not just cars), wait that extra year or two. Companies always make mid-production upgrades silently to iron out any last minute issues.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
12 years strong

Fan#: 111
What I Drive: '02 zx5

Points 14,576, Level 78
Points: 14,576, Level: 78 Points: 14,576, Level: 78 Points: 14,576, Level: 78
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 1sloho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
at least the gas pedal isnt sticking.....
Old 06-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
Turböner

Fan#: 70225
What I Drive: 2002 VW GTI

Points 165,271, Level 100
Points: 165,271, Level: 100 Points: 165,271, Level: 100 Points: 165,271, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 33 WiscoGTI Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttnmthkngs420 View Post
at least the gas pedal isnt sticking.....
That was just God, or whatever you believe in's way of weeding out the idiots. If your accelerator sticks.. and you're dumb enough that you have time to call the police.. drive for miles.. and then drive off a cliff.. BEFORE thinking to shut the car off, or throw it in neutral.. then.. well.. you needed to go.

Still some of the most idiotic, pointless deaths I've ever heard of.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #10
Bunneh Fanatic

In all fairness some cars with automatic transmissions actually prevent you from switching to neutral while in motion. I can see why, but at the same time it's also the most idiotic design decision ever. It's better to have the ability to disconnect the driveshaft while you're in motion rather than to be stuck in a getaway car. I'm thankful mine doesn't do that crap.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.