looking for a commuter - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84514
What I Drive: 2001 F350 PowerStroke

FF Reputation: 1 funrc1988 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
looking for a commuter

Hello,
I am looking around for a used Focus and can not make up my mind on a 2 or 4 door. Looking at 2001-2003 any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58474
What I Drive: 2001 silver se

FF Reputation: 1 firelink74 Good Standing Member
5 sp zetec or duritec is a given. 2 doors look better 4 doors are more convienient. i'm getting a hatch next time. the sedans trunk is hard to get big things in.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,933, Level 98
Points: 27,933, Level: 98 Points: 27,933, Level: 98 Points: 27,933, Level: 98
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The newer, the better. Especially if you're considering an automatic. There were changes made in the 03 ATX that benefit the common engines.

Don't get an SPI. If the spark plugs aren't in the center of the valve cover, or that valve cover doesn't say Zetec on it, then skip it. Those engines would only be in sedans not hatchbacks or wagons.

There are common issues with all these vehicles- like with all vehicles, but most of ours are minor. If you see a modified Zetec- with the heat shield removed from the exhaust manifold- be wary of fans that don't work. That will cause the engine to overheat while idling, but not while driving. Excess heat causes damage to the cooling fan resistor and the cooling fan power connector. Both can be replaced and repaired, but it costs money. You're looking at a $100 repair in parts. There is a fairly common slow coolant leak from the thermostat housing which is at the back of the cylinder head. This is due to plastic cracking, and I do think that part has been re-designed. I do know that for a good chunk of change you can get an aluminum thermostat housing that won't crack. That's about a $40 repair. There's also a plastic crossover pipe that is right behind the radiator at the top of the fan housing that sometimes cracks and leaks coolant- so be wary of dried coolant in that area. That's another $40 repair or so, I think the part is $30, and then you'd need some coolant.

Most national parts chain stores alternators are unreliable. It's so ridiculous that we've had a few FF's who've replaced their alternator for free so many times that they seek other options. If you hear stories like that, don't fret, we know where to send you to get that taken care of.

Bad PCV valve vacuum lines cause low idles in Zetec equipped vehicles. The factory installed part has rubber elbows that decay in about 5 years or so. Most people just think it's old car disease and don't repair it. It's so common that most of the time if someone is complaining about engine running problems- someone tells them to check the PCV line. Ford has re-designed this line, and you can purchase the new design part for $20ish, or simply get rubber elbows to fit on the plastic line from a parts store.

That's about all the common issues I can think of at the moment. Like I said, none are going to send you to a shop for a 4 digit repair.

Oh, brakes, I'm not horribly impressed with 00-04 brakes, but if you're used to driving a Honda or Toyota, you'd probably not notice it. If you're used to GMs or Fords, then you might think it brakes like a low priced Japanese car.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
Captain TMI

Points 27,933, Level 98
Level Up 59% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Thanks to Firelink, you have a picture of what the SPI engine looks like. It says "2.0L Split Port" on the valve cover, and as you can see- the spark plugs to in the side of the cylinder head not through the valve cover.

Quote:
Old 04-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Thanks for your suggestions, so a 01 or 02 would be a good choice ? Do any of you have a better picture of the engines I should be looking for or a better way to ID one ? My budget is around 4 G's and I am leaning more on a 2 door 5 speed, I am also in California so there are a ton of smog engines out here !
Old 04-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Is the 2.0L L4 PFI DOHC a good one ?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

Points 32,614, Level 100
Points: 32,614, Level: 100 Points: 32,614, Level: 100 Points: 32,614, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 201 warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
If you want the first gen get an 03 or 04. The first few years (2000-01) were recall and reliability problems and 02 is hit or miss. They got them right in America in 03+.

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 04-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32830
What I Drive: 2006 Chevy HHR 2LT

FF Reputation: 15 karguy427 Great Standing Member
As to body style, probably the most versitile would be the ZX5 - the 5-door hatchback. (unless you like wagons, like me...)
Old 04-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
Captain TMI

Points 27,933, Level 98
Level Up 59% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
WAGON

Quote:
Old 04-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
Focus Rookie

Well folks it all done ! I purchased a very clean 01 silver ZX3 Zetec 5 speed with 116,000 miles on it. I Paid a little bit more then I wanted to but just could not pass the car down, it's very clean and one owner. Now the fun begins and thanks for your suggestions. Small oil leak on the pan ( couple loose bolts and not leaking now ) will have to replace the thermostat housing with cold leak. I know what I will be doing today.
Thanks again and any suggestions would be great.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.