Vinyl / urethane steering wheel difference? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62411
What I Drive: Honda Civic

FF Reputation: 2 focus11 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Vinyl / urethane steering wheel difference?

Someone here posted earlier that the non-leather wrapped steering wheel in the all new, next-gen 2012 Focus is a vinyl steering wheel (S and SE trim). What is a vinyl steering wheel? I know previously non-leather wrapped steering wheels have been referred to as urethane (make of urethane). Is a vinyl steering wheel better (better feel to it and better quality overall)?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
HATCH NATION

Fan#: 57548
What I Drive: 2004, Pitch Black Zx3

Points 16,184, Level 81
Points: 16,184, Level: 81 Points: 16,184, Level: 81 Points: 16,184, Level: 81
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 fhh02a Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Whatever it is...I just hope it holds up better than the one I have now
Old 01-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Vinyl is pretty much fake leather. Used to be used in the old days on cars all the time, from interiors to those half vinyl covered roofs in cadets and oldsmobiles. Idk if it'll hold up better or not but it should feel better. Spring for the sport package and the leather wrap, it's worth the money.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 01-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62411
What I Drive: Honda Civic

FF Reputation: 2 focus11 Good Standing Member
Yeah, I remember the old days with vinyl seats and all. I'd never heard of a vinyl steering wheel, though. What I want to do is drive an SE and then an SE w/Sport Pkg back to back to discern the difference between the two. From what I hear just the standard set up (non sport suspension version) is extremely good and very dynamic. I still plan on getting the SE hatchback w/Powershift with no options planned at this time.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus11 View Post
Yeah, I remember the old days with vinyl seats and all. I'd never heard of a vinyl steering wheel, though. What I want to do is drive an SE and then an SE w/Sport Pkg back to back to discern the difference between the two. From what I hear just the standard set up (non sport suspension version) is extremely good and very dynamic. I still plan on getting the SE hatchback w/Powershift with no options planned at this time.

Posted via FF Mobile Yes but the sport package adds more then a suspension, it adds the leather wrapped steering wheel, alloy wheels, select shift for the powershift, AND rear disc brakes. Package price will be around a grand, which is a STEAL for what your getting. Good luck trying to match that price with the aftermarket, and you won't get select shift either.

Btw selectshift means your able to shift the car yourself.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
I'd definitely recommend a leather-wrapped steering wheel over a regular one. It's hard to go back once you've driven a car with it. I partially miss my Focus because it had such a nice steering feel. It makes long trips more comfortable, offers more grip, and simply looks badass. The only sucky thing is that it tends to get really hot in the summer if you're parked directly under the sun. But that's a minor gripe for all the positives it offers.

On a side note I was stuck driving a rental Malibu Maxx after I totalled my first Focus back in '06. The suspension on that thing actually felt really nice... but holy hell the interior was coated with unbearably cheap plastics. Want to feel the difference in how a terrible steering wheel can really dampen the driving experience? Step into any older GM car and you'll wish your hands were bathed in industrial strength acid.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76322
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 kkreit01 Good Standing Member
^ I agree. Once you drive a leather-wrapped for years, it's very tough to go back. The "non-leather" ones really have a cheap feel to them.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.