looking into buying a large air compressor. need some suggestions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61169
What I Drive: 2004, SONIC BLUE, FOCUS SVT

FF Reputation: 8 svtcliff Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
looking into buying a large air compressor. need some suggestions

well im trying to establish my own small shop and as of right now i have a two bay garage with open upstairs that ill be using as of the first part of the year. so far ive just used what ever air compressor that has been in the shop ive done work in on my car. well now i need to buy my own and want to buy one that i dont regret shortly after because it doesnt do what i need it to do. im not the most up do date on compressors but i do know that i plan on getting one that is a stand up unit and that requires oil. im also planning on an immoble unit that i run PVC lines off of with multiple outlets in each bay. problem i have is that i cant deside on a unit. ive looked at several places and have found a couple of units but cant deside. weather it be because of size or recommended uses by the company or brand i just cant deside which would be the better buy.
so far here is the options that ive looked at. forgive me if i leave out some of the info as to this is what i remember from looking at diff places.

first unit is a kobalt with(what i can remember 4.5hp motor )and 80gallon tank price 799 from lowes and is quoted at 155psi max. is suppose to good for continous use with an air sander or spray gun which is what i need it for.

2nd is an Ingersoll Rand 60gal with 5hp single stage with max psi of 135psi. it also quotes it will do pretty much all air tools constant with exception of a 3/4 or 1inch impact in moderation. its price is 849 but is on sale at tractor supply for 799.

3rd is either a ingersoll rand or cambell hausfeld with 60 gal and 3.5hp motor with the first costing 549 and 2nd costing 4 and some change. prolly not really interested in these because i have the bigger is better mentality but if this will handle my work needs then id love to spend less and put the money towards other tools.

im kinda leaning towards the 2nd even thou it has a smaller tank just that it seems to have a better quality appearence then the kobalt. i dont wanna buy something that craps out after a few months of use. is gonna be used for sanding, painting, and running air tools such as impacts and air rachets. anybody with knowledge in this area please help out or give suggestions.

2004 FOCUS SVT w/JRSC & FFRP BBK #1709 of 1978
2000 FOCUS ZX3 (project car)
1987 MUSTANG GT 5.0
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81025
What I Drive: white 1991 festiva (no heat)

FF Reputation: 1 mikemounlio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Stay away from walmart.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

also ive looked at a unit at harbor freight.com that is a US general for 824 that has a 60gallon tank and 5hp two stage motor and is 165psi max. even thou it has alot of good reviews im still skeptical about it being from harbor frieght. only reason im thinking about it is that i have a 20% off coupon that will drop a good bit off of the price.
1987 MUSTANG GT 5.0
Old 12-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemounlio View Post
Stay away from walmart.
lol i only buy select stuff from walmart like food. air compressors would never be one of those things
1987 MUSTANG GT 5.0
Old 12-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 69289
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Taurus Limited

Points 5,157, Level 46
Points: 5,157, Level: 46 Points: 5,157, Level: 46 Points: 5,157, Level: 46
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 18 iroc34 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
I would get the 80 gallon 2 stage compressor from Craftsman. You know where to get the parts or service if you need to. Harbor Freight is ok in a pinch if you need something now and dont have the $$. But where can you get the parts for the Chinemexiwain unit.?

Craftsman Professional 80 Gallon 2 Stage Air Compressor, 5.4 RHP, Vertical Tank, Oil Lube
New ( 0 Reviews ) | Sold by Sears
Seller Rating:
(based on 0 ratings)

Item# 00916477000 Model# WV5248069
This product is available through a Sears distributor.To purchase this product please visit our International Distributors page
Reg Price: $1199.99
Savings: $100.00
$1099.99
Old 12-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 12,348, Level 72
Points: 12,348, Level: 72 Points: 12,348, Level: 72 Points: 12,348, Level: 72
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ingersoll Rand. Let me explain. The critical features you are interested in is >
1: Compressor RPM. The faster you have to turn the compressor for X air output, the faster it will wear. Your nemesis is heat. Numerous brands spin there compressors fast to advertise high CFM, but they won't last. Also, you will want to remove heat from the final output before pumping it into the tank. Pay atten to oil and water removal of course, but also quality of the fittings. Regarding heat, you need to do a little work here. I have no current data to suggest whether the cast iron lined aluminum are better than fully cast iron. I still lean to fully cast iron only in that it has a century of proven performance.
2: Parts: Every Ingersoll Rand can be repaired, and parts are available from numerous jobbers.
3: You also want to know what type of bearings the unit has and the oiling system.

I recommend you be very cautious about where you purchase this critical part of your shop. Anyone can sell you a compressor, damn few will inventory the parts you need to repair it. Allow me to give you an example. I lost my water heater on Dec 6th. I just got it back today Dec 21 (Ya, I smell sweet!). Reason? The parts had to be shipped...several times. They eventually had to replace it (warranty). Now compare that to IF I would have bought a water heater from my local shop who also carries all the parts for everything he sells. just sayin!

Add >> You will pay considerably more for a good compressor than I think your budgeting (for anything approaching a shop, I think 2K is reasonable (about the cost of a decent PC). But if you think amortization, then the cost per year goes to the better quality product. And, I also think you are a tad optimistic about the size you need. That is just me though.
Good fortune with your new shop.

Add #2: I have to say it. Avoid craftsman. All there stuff anymore is the cheapest of the cheap imports. It's the same as harbor freight, or maybe worse. Cambell Hausfeld are notorious for spinning to small a compressor to fast. They came into being on price. There OK for a small garage setup (airing up tires and such). I have no data on Kobalt. I would benchmark them against Ingersoll Rand, but keep in mind that critical parts connection.

Hokay. Will shut up now!
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 12-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

Points 14,826, Level 78
Points: 14,826, Level: 78 Points: 14,826, Level: 78 Points: 14,826, Level: 78
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I usually see shops with huge 100 gallon tanks and they usually have two to be productive if they have other workers.

P.S By the way this is my dream to own a small car shop one day.
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Old 12-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 27586
What I Drive: '04 Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '72 M35A2

FF Reputation: 27 arrestmespi Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Ingersol Rand
I have a twin 3 stage twin 100 gallon 3 phase 480 compressor at my shop, at home I have a 26 gallon campbell hausfeld.
The professional series craftsman ain't half bad my friend has one that is well used and abused in his garage.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46002
What I Drive: 2006 pitch black zx4

Points 462, Level 9
Points: 462, Level: 9 Points: 462, Level: 9 Points: 462, Level: 9
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 autolite Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I got a Ingersal 7.5 hp. 80 gallon ive sand blasted with it and never dropped below 100 psi..When I was looking it is the psi and the volume some spray guns need volume.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #10
Captain Retard

Fan#: 55980
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT ZX3,93 SVT Lightning

Points 5,373, Level 47
Points: 5,373, Level: 47 Points: 5,373, Level: 47 Points: 5,373, Level: 47
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 20 Missourileo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I work for a company that seemed to run through compressors. I used impacts, cut off wheels, sprayers, DAs, metal shears and sawzalls. All were pneumatic. We finally dropped the dime and bought an Ingersoll-Rand and never had a problem after. It is important that you put an oiler/dryer and perform maintenance on compressors.We initially paid good money for it, but, over time we made our money back by lack of down time due to compressor issues. What you want to look at, when choosing a compressor is flow at max pressure. If you have two air tools going at once and you only have 14lbs max flow, then you are only putting out 7lbs per tool.....not that good. Use this website
http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com...px-am_en-12878 and go to view model specifications, should give you the info you need. Keep in mind, this isn't just buying a compressor, this is an investment. I would steer real far from Kobalt, Crapsman and Clark products. Don't even think about the Harbor freight ones either.....or an oil less compressor. Check Craigslist as well. Good luck.
Midwest crew #36
Hatch Nation#50
January 2010 ROTM

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.