All-new ford focus production starts in Germany - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
Administrator

Fan#: 41389
Points 45,208, Level 100
Points: 45,208, Level: 100 Points: 45,208, Level: 100 Points: 45,208, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 4 FFTeam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
All-new ford focus production starts in Germany

Volume production of the all-new Ford Focus, the first global Ford compact car, has begun at Ford's Saarlouis Assembly Plant in South-West Germany today.

The all-new Ford Focus is a key part of the One Ford plan to leverage the company’s global assets. Following its unprecedented global development program, the all-new Focus will be produced on three continents and be offered for sale in over 120 markets worldwide

Saarlouis Assembly Plant in the Saarland region of Germany, which celebrates its 40th anniversary this year, will be the single-source for production of the all-new Focus in Western Europe, building all three body styles – four-door, five-door and wagon, Production of the high-performance ST model will be added in early 2012.

In North America, early production of the four-door and five-door models of the Ford Focus is already underway at Ford's Michigan Assembly Plant.

Focus manufacturing will be expanded further in mid-2011 when Ford’s plant in St. Petersburg, Russia, begins building both four-door and five-door derivatives of the all-new model.

Production in the Asia Pacific region will begin in 2012, when new Ford plants come on-line in Chongqing, China and Rayong, Thailand.

"This is an important day for Ford, the Saarland and for Germany," said Ken Macfarlane, vice-president of Manufacturing, Ford of Europe. "Saarlouis is proud to have been the lead plant for Ford Focus production in Europe since the first model was launched in 1998. Throughout that time, its skilled and dedicated workforce has worked hard to ensure that the plant is recognized throughout the industry for its manufacturing efficiency and quality."

With more than 6,500 employees and over €3 billion invested in the facility’s ongoing development and continuous modernization, Ford's Saarlouis Assembly Plant is among the leading vehicle production sites in the European automotive industry. The plant is capable of manufacturing up to 1,850 vehicles a day in three shifts. It currently produces both Ford Focus and Ford Kuga model lines.

To further enhance manufacturing quality and flexibility in Saarlouis, the plant has been upgraded with a €300 million investment programme to produce the new Focus. This included €100 million for new robotized body construction facilities, €75 million for new tooling, and €18 million for new high-quality, low-emissions paint shop technology.

It was also announced ahead of the start of volume assembly today that around 500 people previously employed on agency contracts would be offered permanent Ford contracts to help support the production of the all-new Ford Focus.

More Than a Car

The all-new Focus is a particularly significant vehicle for Ford and will share around 80 per cent parts commonality globally. It is built on the company's new global C-segment platform, which will account for more than two million units of annual production by 2012.

Distinguished by its sleek and sporty design, the new Focus is packed with more affordable smart technologies and features than any competitor in this segment.

New Focus also offers customers the highest standards of safety, quality and detailed craftsmanship plus outstanding fuel economy, and takes the legendary Focus driving dynamics to a new level.

Key innovations in the all-new Focus include the Low Speed Safety System – available for the first time in a Ford – Active Park Assist, Lane Departure Warning, Lane Keeping Aid, Traffic Sign Recognition, Auto High Beam, Driver Alert and Adaptive Cruise Control.

To minimise fuel consumption and CO2 emissions, the all-new Focus offers a choice of highly efficient petrol and diesel powertrains, along with other features from the Ford ECOnetic Technologies programme including Auto-Start-Stop and an Active Grille Shutter.

More than ten million examples of the Ford Focus have been sold around the world since the first model was introduced in 1998. Six million of these cars were sold in Europe, with Saarlouis building almost 3.7 million of them.

Check Out FocusRSClub.com
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Umm, nothing

Fan#: 3341
What I Drive: 03 Black ZX3, 09 F150

Points 4,809, Level 44
Points: 4,809, Level: 44 Points: 4,809, Level: 44 Points: 4,809, Level: 44
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 7 Onlyford4me Good Standing Member
Come OOOOONNNNNNN 2013 (When I buy mine)!

"Government is not the solution to the problem; government is the problem."
Old 12-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 16,280, Level 81
Points: 16,280, Level: 81 Points: 16,280, Level: 81 Points: 16,280, Level: 81
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 13 GhiaFan Great Standing Member

and a parking lot full of the end of MKII Focus, with a sprinkling of Kuga's

Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

Points 37,068, Level 100
Points: 37,068, Level: 100 Points: 37,068, Level: 100 Points: 37,068, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I hope those bumpers will stay close to that thickness when it comes to the US shores.

This is exciting.

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66325
What I Drive: 2001 Street Edition Sedan

Points 3,242, Level 35
Points: 3,242, Level: 35 Points: 3,242, Level: 35 Points: 3,242, Level: 35
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Giancarlo Good Standing Member
That car is freakin' AWESOME!! Whens it coming to North America?
Old 12-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

Points 10,979, Level 69
Points: 10,979, Level: 69 Points: 10,979, Level: 69 Points: 10,979, Level: 69
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Bingo, but why did the first one have to be vomit colored?

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 12-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71376
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

Points 945, Level 16
Points: 945, Level: 16 Points: 945, Level: 16 Points: 945, Level: 16
Level Up 45% Completed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 ElectricAL Good Standing Member
I was under the (perhaps misguided) impression that the ST would be equipped with the 2.0 Ecoboost. If, as the article would suggest, the 1.6 is going into it, they've lost me as a potential buyer... Otherwise, I'd say that the BASIC models are a winner, for what they are designed for.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

Points 10,979, Level 69
Points: 10,979, Level: 69 Points: 10,979, Level: 69 Points: 10,979, Level: 69
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAL View Post
I was under the (perhaps misguided) impression that the ST would be equipped with the 2.0 Ecoboost. If, as the article would suggest, the 1.6 is going into it, they've lost me as a potential buyer... Otherwise, I'd say that the BASIC models are a winner, for what they are designed for.
Not sure where you got that, but they already have released all specs on the ST, and its a 2.0T 247hp.

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 12-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Points 945, Level 16
Level Up 45% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Yep. My bad... I got this from ANOTHER article: Jan, 2010 Car and Driver:
At launch, the Focus will get a new 2.0-liter, direct-injection four-cylinder that has variable intake- and exhaust-valve timing. Ford says the engine will put out 155 horsepower and 145 pound-feet of torque. Later on, expect a sportier engine. Jim Hughes, the chief nameplate engineer for the Focus in North America, adds, “We’ll eventually get an EcoBoost [turbocharged DI] engine in the Focus.” We’re thinking a 1.6-liter making more than 200 horsepower in a sporty ST model.

But that's OLD NEWS, then right? The ST will DEFINITELY be spec'd with the 2.0 Ecoboost?
Old 12-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Points 945, Level 16
Level Up 45% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
The 1.6 Ecoboost will probably be a great fit for the smaller, lighter Fiesta... but I greedily want the boosted 2.0 going into the Focus to MORE than offset the extra weight..

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.