2011 Focus or 2011 Fiesta? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 32996
What I Drive: 1998 Ford Ranger

FF Reputation: 1 Focus Drivr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2011 Focus or 2011 Fiesta?

Hello, I am hoping to get some opinions and insight...

I am currently looking for a daily driver. I have been lurking around here and this is my dilemma...

Focus...
Proven reliability with out too much technology. I would still be able to work on it when it needs repairs. Also the prices are good right now. Seems to be some nice rebates on them due to the new Focus coming out. I like the idea of this forum having experienced people who would be able to help me out when something goes wrong.

Fiesta...
Better gas milage. To me it is not as reliable because it's so new to the US. Also I am a little more scared to work on it since it's so new and has a lot more technology in it. Call me crazy but I don't like the push button start, seems like one more electric thing to go wrong. Are there any out looks on these vehicles to last like the current focus?

I read on here that people say to wait for the new focus. Well I have to agree it looks great I just don't trust it. D.I. engine and a lot of electric gizmos (although cool). I like to be able to work on my vehicle. Maybe in a few years when all the "bugs" are worked out and the forum members would be more informed to be able to help out a shade tree mechanic.

So what would you go for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 69605
What I Drive: 2008 Vapor Silver Coupe 5 speed

Points 2,851, Level 32
Points: 2,851, Level: 32 Points: 2,851, Level: 32 Points: 2,851, Level: 32
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 15 GO.army.1969 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I think 2012 is going to be a good year the new ST
NW Posse#10 Team Duratec#69
F2 Header, Steath Exhaust, CAI, AR103, Tuned by Randy Fswerks, DGR Coil Overs
DOMINANT front and rear LCA DOMINANT endlinks Massive toe and camber arms
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 79584
What I Drive: Golf TDI, Cooper S

FF Reputation: 1 bigbodybenz Good Standing Member
If you need to ever use the backseat, get the Focus. If you rarely, if ever, have more than 2 people in the car, the Fiesta is a good choice. I have not spent too much time behind the wheel of the Fiesta to comment on its power, but that is something to consider. I wouldn't be too concerned about the tech in the Fiesta, I'd be really surprised if there were any issues with it. As far as the push button start, don't get it if you don't want it. It is a nice feature with the smart key that you just keep in your pocket the whole time.

The Focus seems like a smart purchase with its $3000 rebates, while the Fiesta is a smart lease right now. If you plan to upgrade again in less than 4 years, go with the Fiesta if you can keep it under 12K miles per year. Don't be scared of leasing; it can be a good thing.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79355
What I Drive: 2011 SGM Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 1 Custodian Good Standing Member
We just went thru this same decision process a few weeks ago... but were also considering Yaris, Mini, Mazda 2, Aveo...

The $3000 rebate iced the deal & we took delivery on a 2011 Focus SE on Black Friday... I have not regretted the decision once since.

I did several weekends of "tire kicking" on Sundays when the dealrships were closed.

Take your time... do not be pressured... you will find the right combo of car/deal/dealership for you.
Hankook Optimo H725 on Drag DR-33
General Altimax Arctic on OEM alloys
Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

I didn't know you had the option to not get the push button start... good to know.

I plan on keeping this car for at least 10 years or 200,000 miles and then it will probably become a 3rd car. I might have a kid or two in the future so I am leaning toward the focus...
Old 12-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
I loved the 2011 Fiesta when I test drove one. It definitely felt like a true successor to the ZX3/ZX5. If you want a nimble and sporty hatchback the Fiesta won't disappoint. However if you haul passengers on a regular basis, it might prove to be an inconvenient vehicle. The rear seats were virtually impossible to get into (if you or your passengers are anywhere near 6' tall). If space is a major concern you may want to look into getting the Focus instead.

The current Focus is practically a steal with all the wonderful incentives that dealerships are giving out. If money is a concern you can't go wrong with a 2010 or 2011 model. However you might also want to consider waiting for next year, when the dramatically improved 2012 model year Focus will make its appearance. Have a look yourself and see if it might interest you.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Ya I have looked at them and they are nice (I like the sedan, not a hatch person unless it's a 2-door). I just really like the track record of the current focus. The engine and trans are a bullet proof combo and the platform is over a decade old. To me all that matters for the long run.

That's why the Fiesta and 2012 Focus make me nervous. I am sure they are going to be great vehicles. I mean ford has really upped their game. I just don't want to be the 1st batch to find out... just incase there is a major long term problem. Plus I haven't even seen under the hood of the new focus. The fiesta has a decent engine compartment.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I really don't see either one being any easier to work on than the other. It really comes down to a couple of issues: Your needs, and Your budget. I agree that with a brand spanking new engine(that has never seen consumer road time, AFAIK) there will probably be a bug or two to work out, but to be fair, the EcoBoost is shiny and new as well and I haven't heard of any problems with it from Lincoln or Taurus SHO owners yet, so there may be hope after all. I have only had an opportunity to drive an auto SE Fiesta, and to be perfectly frank, it was lethargic at best, although it did handle well, and maybe my expectations were a little high driving onto the lot in My ST.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 80802
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Ak2011 Good Standing Member
Here is my take on the 2011 Focus sedan. Previously owned three Civic's since 2005. Thought the world of the Honda's and liked the Fiesta but the $3K rebate had me change my mind since it put the price of the SE under the Fiesta by a wide margin.
Owned the SE 5 speed almost one week. Temps have been cold up here but my first tank of gas averaged 29.8 mpg combined city and highway.

My observations:

Nice wide and long seats
Easy to get into and out of
Huge trunk
Small back seat
Very quiet and smooth
Decent radio and cd player
Cheaper to insure than any of my previous Civics.
Ride is very nice
Don't like the location of the power mirror or headlight switches.

I wasnt expecting to like the car as much as I do but every time I use it like it more. It is NOT as "sporting" feeling as a Civic.

Am betting in the summer my mileage will jump up to 32, high 30's on a trip. Which is better than any of my Civic's.

Call me a happy camper for the time being
Old 12-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #10
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Whatever new engine tech ypur worried about, dont be, its not really new and direct injection is not complicated. And not every fiesta has a push button starter. The engine in the fiesta is the reliable duratec, just at a smaller displacement at 1.6ls compared to 2.0ls in the focus. Also, the fiesta has been around in europe for over two years now.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.