2006 ZX4 ST Blew Up!!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63490
What I Drive: 2006 Red ST & 2004 White ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 wigman1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2006 ZX4 ST Blew Up!!!

New to the Forum. Just wanted to check with others - I have a 2006 ZX4 ST that I purchased brand new and at 25000 miles, the engine began to knock, ended up eating a rod bearing. Oil was always changed avery 3000 miles, car received super maintenance so there was really no reason for it to go. Ford replaced the entire engine, absolutely no hassles, about which I am VERY pleased. Car runs fantastic, with about 8000 miles the new engine actually seems to have more power than the original equipment. Just woindering if others had the same problem with their 2.3's, it was the #4 rod bearing. Glad to be aboard!! Wig

Last edited by wigman1; 03-14-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34961
What I Drive: 2006 Pitch Black ZX4 ST manual

FF Reputation: 1 focus_racer19 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
No problems here I have a 2006 ST at 49K and I bet the heck out of it and no problems! But glad to hear ford took care of you I wouldn't say they would do the same for me though lol.

ST CREW #53
Old 03-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
I don't care

Fan#: 19367
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang V6 6 speed

Points 7,060, Level 55
Points: 7,060, Level: 55 Points: 7,060, Level: 55 Points: 7,060, Level: 55
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 ZX4STDoug Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Welcome aboard, sorry to hear about the hassle but it sounds like Ford stepped up and took care of things as they should have.

I had an 05 ST, had roughly 54K on it when I got rid of it and I had zero problems with the engine/drivetrain. Same engine in my Fusion, roughly 21K and again no issues whatsoever.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,762, Level 94
Points: 23,762, Level: 94 Points: 23,762, Level: 94 Points: 23,762, Level: 94
Level Up 42% Completed
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
hmm I bet it was just a lemony engine but that's great to hear, and to FF
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 03-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
Banned

Fan#: 45862
What I Drive: Frankenstien

FF Reputation: 60 06Roush Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
danm is it bad if i was getting all excited and about to ask if u would sell me ur whole wiring harness out of the car? but glad they got u back up and running.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Banned

Fan#: 61830
What I Drive: '96 Neon...RED.

FF Reputation: 1 alteredego Good Standing Member
Very good chance the car had ingested water earlier in it's life, or during your ownership(hydrolock can happen AFTER the fact) and it just a bit of time to eat itself alive.

Good show on the new motor. I would expect a fresh one to have better power than a slowly dieing one.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
FF Cleaning Squad

Fan#: 4322
What I Drive: All Focus' sold

FF Reputation: 63 focusin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I have read a case where a timing chain jumped a tooth and that caused a duratec to go, could have happened to you since you heard the knocking before the blow up.
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 03-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1515
What I Drive: 06 Dodge Ram, 02 TL1000R

FF Reputation: 1 RobsRedRacer Good Standing Member
stinks that it happened but glad to hear you got a new motor for it....probably just a bad apple outta the bundle would be my guess..havent heard people having that kind of issues with them
Zetec Crew #195
Old 03-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63490
What I Drive: 2006 Red ST & 2004 White ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 wigman1 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the comments, I guess anyone can get a bad one. Other than that problem, this little motor really cooks! I am so pleased with this Focus, I wish they still made them with the 2.3 - great engine as far as I am concerned, I know they are great in the Fusion.

The engine just started knocking at idle, and I did drive it for a few days and did make it to the dealer but by the time I got it there it sounded like an orchestra inside the block! After they tore the pan off, they showed me that the bottom of the rod was actually hitting the side of the block, the bearing was totally gone with pieces laying inside the pan. Got a brand new engine with everything already on it including the head, valve cover, FI unit, plugs, plug wires - everything. All they had to do was install and hook up the exhaust and plug in the harness - Ford didn't want them to fix the original one. Several weeks later the Ford rep said it was apparently a soft spot on the crank journal. Could have been an air bubble in the casting or something. I was also told that having the 100,000 mile 5 year extended warranty helped in their decision to replace the whole unit with a new one, good thing to know for future reference. My dealer is top notch also, really helpful - even gave me a car for the 3 weeks it took to get a new engine shipped in and installed. No charge for anything. I'm certainly a happy Ford owner, have been for many years. Wig
Old 03-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigman1 View Post
Thanks for the comments, I guess anyone can get a bad one. Other than that problem, this little motor really cooks! I am so pleased with this Focus, I wish they still made them with the 2.3 - great engine as far as I am concerned, I know they are great in the Fusion.

The engine just started knocking at idle, and I did drive it for a few days and did make it to the dealer but by the time I got it there it sounded like an orchestra inside the block! After they tore the pan off, they showed me that the bottom of the rod was actually hitting the side of the block, the bearing was totally gone with pieces laying inside the pan. Got a brand new engine with everything already on it including the head, valve cover, FI unit, plugs, plug wires - everything. All they had to do was install and hook up the exhaust and plug in the harness - Ford didn't want them to fix the original one. Several weeks later the Ford rep said it was apparently a soft spot on the crank journal. Could have been an air bubble in the casting or something. I was also told that having the 100,000 mile 5 year extended warranty helped in their decision to replace the whole unit with a new one, good thing to know for future reference. My dealer is top notch also, really helpful - even gave me a car for the 3 weeks it took to get a new engine shipped in and installed. No charge for anything. I'm certainly a happy Ford owner, have been for many years. Wig
Thats great, yea alot of times they will just throw in a new one cause it actually ends up taking more time and money to fix the old one.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.