Unlawful to have aftermarket stereo systems??! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Fan#: 58297
What I Drive: Car

Points 6,484, Level 52
Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Kauai Guy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Unlawful to have aftermarket stereo systems??!

Well i just saw this in todays paper. This is down right stupid. Why is there stupid laws being proposed in Hawaii? First the pitbull deal, and now this!

http://www.kauaiworld.com/articles/2...e584748326.txt

Quote:
A tiny Japanese import drives by and suddenly you feel this BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! shaking the ground like an 800-pound gorilla beating his chest, or perhaps you’re sitting at a traffic light and a behemoth SUV rolls up behind you playing a bass-driven rap-song that makes your pacemaker bounce around like a ping-pong ball.

You have just been exposed to the subculture of after-market audio sales, an issue some Hawai‘i legislators are attempting to address during the current legislative session. House Bill 198, “Relating to vehicle audio equipment,” was submitted recently in the Hawai‘i State Legislature.

After numerous complaints from people inconvenienced by others who play their car stereos at an unnecessarily loud level, the bill intends to prohibit the installation, possession and operation of certain types of car stereos.

While the proposal certainly sounds good to those who called in to complain, the facts show that bill H.B. 198, though well-intentioned, just might fall on deaf ears.

On Feb. 2, the Office of the Public Defender testified to the Senate Committee on Judiciary and Labor opposing the bill on multiple grounds.

Under the heading of enforceability, the public defender argued the law will be nearly impossible to enforce because there is no way to tell if the car stereo is an after-market installation or originally installed equipment, as many automakers now offer upgraded car stereos with subwoofers that have upwards of eight or even 10 speakers.

In terms of fairness, if an individual purchases a Cadillac equipped from the factory with a 1,000-watt stereo with a subwoofer, he would not be in violation of the law merely because the stereo was installed at the factory. However, if that same person took a Toyota to a stereo installer and put in a similar system, he would be in violation of the law.

Similar logic can be applied to speeding legislation. While it is unlawful to speed, it is not against the law to own a vehicle capable of a top speeds far exceeding even the highest posted speed limit. Police therefor issue citations to those who operate their equipment in an illegal way, not to those who simply own equipment that could allow them to break the law.

Under the heading of retroactivity, the law has no provision for grandfathering in all the current after-market stereos which have already been installed but would be prohibited by this measure, the public defender said.

Currently, a Honolulu county ordinance prohibits the operation of stereo equipment from a vehicle if the sound generated is audible at a distance of 30 feet. The law targets the offender, and not the equipment, and in some instances may result in the forfeiture of the sound system.

Last July, USA Today announced that after-market sales for car audio systems were slipping because younger owners often add accessories to improve their cars’ looks, such as flashy rims and performance tires, with fewer opting for better sound inside.

The Consumer Electronics Association reported that by July 2008, the spending on after-market car stereo systems had slipped down 28 percent from 2006. The category includes everything from CD changers and speakers to satellite radio.

After hearing all the arguments brought before the Senate Committee, will the Legislature spend their valuable time and energy on this bill, or simply let this 800-pound gorilla go back to sleep?

Sedan Revolution #150 Hatch Nation #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
Because I'm on a boat and I just had sex
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61994
What I Drive: 2010 Mustang GT, 2009 Focus SES 4DR

FF Reputation: 0 robinsonda1 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Total Gayness this has no hope of passing i'm sure. Ever heard of civil rights Hawaii?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49661
What I Drive: 2007 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 2 07FocusST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
dont you think that they would rather figure out a way to help all the homeless on the island instead of messing with other people? This is right up there with the pitbull ban they are trying to pass.
Boosted Crew Member #115
SAP Crew Member #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoticracing View Post
foci's came without rear brakes? i guess mine is special with its drums
Old 02-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 19,122, Level 87
Points: 19,122, Level: 87 Points: 19,122, Level: 87 Points: 19,122, Level: 87
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 52 iminhell Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I say let them pass the bill or something similar. Your music is for you, not me. Keep it in your car and I'm happy, and I'll do the same.
BTW many many many many cities have a similar noise ordinance where if the sound from your vehicle can be heard XX feet away you get a citation. That is probably why Hawaii is trying to do, in some fashion.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
"site the offenders not the equipment" i agree 100 percent.

but like iminhell said please do not froce me to listen to your music.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
FF Cleaning Squad

Fan#: 4322
What I Drive: All Focus' sold

FF Reputation: 63 focusin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Never gonna pass, now there are sound ordinance laws that keep you from playing music/having your exhaust past a certain decibel tone.

They are morons for thinking aftermarket stereos could be stopped, and basically just old bastards complaining about inconsiderate punks who feel they need to play the music loud at traffic lights.

I like my sub loud but in town and at traffic lights its turned down
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 02-15-2009, 02:15 AM   #7
M0derator Monkey

Fan#: 51724
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 D23

Points 62,373, Level 100
Points: 62,373, Level: 100 Points: 62,373, Level: 100 Points: 62,373, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 30 MisterJohnson Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
I doubt it'll pass. They already have the ordinance prohibiting car stereos from being played loud enough to be heard over 30 feet away. The is new bill unnecessary.
15.07 @ 93.49 Team Duratec #149
Old 02-15-2009, 02:44 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19448
What I Drive: 2002 ZX5 and 2003 SVT ZX5

Points 990, Level 16
Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 domesplit Good Standing Member
In Hawaii I notice a bunch of scooters with modified exhaust driving past my place and wakes me up. I don't complain cuz I despise people who have nothing better to do than call authorities for some bullsh** when those authorities could be concentrating on something more important.

I hate to say it but when you have a mostly democratic state you will lose rights. Yeah the economy will get better but communistic societies have good economies too if it's ran by the right leader. In a way democrats are right, you have to baby (take care) of people cuz most people won't do what they need to do. Henceforth, make laws and taxes to control the people cuz most people can't take care of themselves or be considerate to others without laws.

There should be no problem with having a stereo system that is capable of making noise the whole island can hear. If a law is to be passed it should be to those who are making too much noise. But that shouldn't happen until ice is off the streets.

Good thread keepitkauai
Old 02-15-2009, 02:56 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19448
What I Drive: 2002 ZX5 and 2003 SVT ZX5

Points 990, Level 16
Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16 Points: 990, Level: 16
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 domesplit Good Standing Member
I also want to say that I disagree with iminhell because if you have a stereo system that is capable of more volume or noise; when you listen to it at a low volume it will sound a lot better. Stereos sound a lot better if played below 50% of what they are capable of. How loud do you play your stock stereo system? Number 12 to 15 of about 20 (volume)? That doesn't affect anyone unless you have the windows down and their windows are down too.

What I do agree with iminhell about is people shouldn't blast there stereos so that I can't hear my music on my own radio in my car. That's what you have democrats for. Hawaii is just copying california again (another democrat state).
Old 02-15-2009, 04:10 AM   #10
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 19,122, Level 87
Points: 19,122, Level: 87 Points: 19,122, Level: 87 Points: 19,122, Level: 87
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 52 iminhell Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Honestly I don't listen to my radio at all anymore. Not really sure why, lazy I guess.

What I was eluding to though is that a proper baffle/speaker box and sound dampening in the car will aid greater benefit to the listener within the car and aid in the noise not traveling outside of the car as far.

My car for instance hit 151db on an Audio Control meter and outside the car you could hear very little, no words at all. Open a window and it would travel a mile, I shit you not.

and seriously if your that deaf you need it that loud to hear it, you probably shouldn't be on the road in the first place.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.