Tell me I'm wrong - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2003, 10:52 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1197
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3 Silver Power Premium

FF Reputation: 1 StockAndProudZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tell me I'm wrong

My car is 100% stock and I planned to keep it that way when I bought it. Though looking at this forum I am starting to have my doubts... Looks like everybody's modding theirs.

And if everybody is doing it, well, there must be some good in it.

The reasons I didn't want to mod my car were the following:

1. Most mods don't seem to make your car faster at all, according to what I hear... you spend $300 on some intake and it adds 2 HP. What's the point of that?

2. Mods that do make your car faster cost SO MUCH that I'd be better of selling my ZX3 and buying a V-6 or factory turbo car. It sounds like the only thing that will make any serious impact on your performance is installing a turbo kit. And those cost $4000.

$13,000 (thats what my car cost cause it is loaded) + $4000 + $1000 in labor + $500 other mods necessary for a turbo kit = $18,500. Heck!!! For this much money plus a bit more I could buy me a V6 Tiburon or something. And then I'd still have my warranty, and I wouldn't lose my ass if I ever had to sell the car.

3. I want my car to last a reasonably long time. Modding the engine would put more strain on it, and, therefore, make it die sooner. Besides, it would kill the resale value of the car.

I'd appreciate if somebody would argue against these points for me.

Last edited by StockAndProudZX3; 10-10-2003 at 11:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2003, 11:04 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 210
What I Drive: 2002 zx3 power premium auto

FF Reputation: 1 pitchblackab Good Standing Member
Your wrong ...........

No your right man its not worth it if its new (like mine) it stupidi to buy a new car and go void the warranty for that go buy a decent used car for a lot less.

There are qutie a few things you can do to the car without voiding the warranty but you need to figth for yourself at the dealer not just accept when they say.

But no it will not make the car worth less or make it die quicker.

If you would go out and buy maybe say that celica. Your gonna be paying at least 400 bucks a month if you are buying the car vs. leasing it which is how you see ghetto idiots driving hummers living at home with mom.

But the focus is a great handling car, and if you buy things little by little 1) its cheaper 2) its fun and 3) you can kill that GTS with less than the GTS costs.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:06 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 262
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2006 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 GonFishin Good Standing Member
A lot of modding actually makes your engine more efficient and shouldn't cause extra wear/tear on the motor...the tranny on the other hand is different and needs upgrading to withstand the more efficient, more powerful engine.
As price goes...my car cost $13,500 (it's standard with power nothing but steering and 5-speed), and it cost $18,000 financed (whish it was used, but I needed a car in 2000 and this was a good opportunity for me). I've already spent $2000 in mods minus subs/amp and I'm about to spend $250 to install my cams/gears. Then I'm supercharging, and with that kit plus other parts, I'm looking at between $4000 and $5000 more. So that's about $25,000 for a (hopefully) reliable 4-cyl car that can handle turns great, and will beat most cars off the line...such as, (stock) Mustang GTs - $24,330 (w/o finance charge), firebirds, camaros, whatever....the mustang is the cheapest v-8 I think and it's comparable in power to others that I should be able to beat. but I guess this is beyond what you're wanting...I'm just pointing out price difference versus 1/4 times.

2006 Mustang GT / Intake / Exhaust / Tune
roughly 290rwhp & 315rwtq

Last edited by GonFishin; 10-10-2003 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:07 AM   #4

Fan#: 192
What I Drive: 02 Focus ZTS, 02 Escape V6, 80 Turbo T/A

FF Reputation: 1 Sublime Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Thos points are valid. What most of these people are doing is modding their car for the fun of it. Sure they get serious about it but it is all in fun. You don't have to go Forced Induction to build HP. I am slowly planning a naturally aspirated car and as you can see from the FC NA ZX3, you can pull some serious HP. I thoughtof the V6 route. I even have a Contour V6 SE. Fast car! but, it costs more to mod it than it does the Focus. The DURATEC V6s also had minor problems that will end up costing a lot of money.

Point is, the intake may only make a little power but if you add on a few other mods, you start to feel gains or notice better throttle response. It is all in what the individual wants. If you are happy with the stock ZETEC, keep it that way.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:11 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Well my pwr premium zx3 is gonna be 16 after all said and done so i lucked out by a little more than gonfishin, if i had gotten a stick it woulda been even cheaper. But i share my car with my mom and her explorer, oh well.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:11 AM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 548
What I Drive: 2000 focus se

FF Reputation: 1 BlueKnight Good Standing Member
just do what i did........make it look good.and just cruise it.as long as it looks sweet, who cares if its fast.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/gallery...cat=507&page=1
Old 10-10-2003, 11:13 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 262
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2006 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 GonFishin Good Standing Member
anyways...I wouldn't do intake without an exhaust. but if you want to mod your intake, go get a K&N panel filter and drop that in there for $30. It's not the best, but it's pretty good and great for the money. Your stock intake setup isn't bad with the exception of the mass air flow (MAF) and throttle body (TB). Those two cause some serious bottlenecking.

2006 Mustang GT / Intake / Exhaust / Tune
roughly 290rwhp & 315rwtq
Old 10-10-2003, 11:46 AM   #8
Focus Addict

Sorry man, didnt i was debating writing it but it justs to say, if you get down at the delaer you can get the focus + financing + mods all under what the sticker price of the GTS is, the GTS would come out to like 25 grand after financing no mods.

Oh yeah it would be nice if ford would do like Toyota and let us keep our warranty with a supercharger like they do I mean fine they sell a lot of cool stuff from FRPP but they wont keep the car under warranty with it on. And its not like toyota only does it for the trucks there ae super charger for the camry/solara corolla , Plus exhasust and intakes.

Last edited by pitchblackab; 10-10-2003 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:59 AM   #9

Fan#: 372
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 PZEV 5-spd Twilight Blue; '97 F-250 4x4 w/ 351 V8 & AT

FF Reputation: 1 soffiler Good Standing Member
Re: Tell me I'm wrong

Quote:
Originally posted by StockAndProudZX3

1. Most mods don't seem to make your car faster at all, according to what I hear... you spend $300 on some intake and it adds 2 HP. What's the point of that?

2. Mods that do make your car faster cost SO MUCH that I'd be better of selling my ZX3 and buying a V-6 or factory turbo car. It sounds like the only thing that will make any serious impact on your performance is installing a turbo kit. And those cost $4000.

$13,000 (thats what my car cost cause it is loaded) + $4000 + $1000 in labor + $500 other mods necessary for a turbo kit = $18,500. Heck!!! For this much money plus a bit more I could buy me a V6 Tiburon or something. And then I'd still have my warranty, and I wouldn't lose my ass if I ever had to sell the car.

3. I want my car to last a reasonably long time. Modding the engine would put more strain on it, and, therefore, make it die sooner. Besides, it would kill the resale value of the car.
Point 1: Agree. The airflow mods (intake, exhaust) we read about constantly on this forum really add only a few HP and it is all at the upper end of the powerband. We all have different driving habits, but as for me, I usually shift about 3.5-4K rpm, 5K only if I really need it while dicing in traffic. A couple more HP at 5K and beyond is going to be lost on me. Then again I'm driving a PZEV.

Point 2: Disagree. (TIBURON? where's the little smilie that's puking...) Seriously, the fOCUS has a lot of very desirable traits. Take the ride and handling for example. World-class here. How many years in a row on the Car&Driver 10Best list... four? Every year its been available in the USA, in other words. Take styling as another example. You can go shopping with your $18K but you won't come home with the ride, handling, and styling combo you get in your fOCUS.

Point 3: basically agree. Grabbing a serious amount more HP out of your engine is going to have some effect on service life. How much impact depends on how far you tweak it and then how often you use the tweaks.

But you really need to realize that the reason the majority of the people on this forum are modding is because that's what they're into. Modding in and of itself is fun, and creating personalization of the car is what this little slice of automotive enthusiasm is all about.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:19 PM   #10

Fan#: 372
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 PZEV 5-spd Twilight Blue; '97 F-250 4x4 w/ 351 V8 & AT

FF Reputation: 1 soffiler Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by GonFishin
A lot of modding actually makes your engine more efficient and shouldn't cause extra wear/tear on the motor...
Common misconception. I think that because the right mod's will in fact increase HP output, this seems to be "more efficient". What the mod's are really doing is getting more air through the engine. If you can get more air in, and out, then you can add more fuel (computer takes care of this for you, of course) and bingo, you got more power. But you didn't help the combusion efficiency a single bit. If it was truly more efficient, you could go faster on the same amount of fuel - and that ain't happenin'. Yeah you are going faster but you are also using more fuel to do it, meaning the efficiency hasn't changed.

By the way, intake and exhaust mod's can only help to a certain point. You really need to get into the head, with porting and cam changes, to make the best use of high-flow intakes and exhausts. And this high-flow stuff, in turn, means you are increasing HP at the high end of the RPM range but you may actually be hurting yourself down at the low end. Need an example to illustrate my point? Easy. The PZEV has restrictors in the intake manifold that are closed at low RPM, open at high RPM. They are there specifically to increase torque/HP down low. Restriction helps ! (at lower RPM) Think about that.

Finally - about wear and tear. It's all about what you are using out of the engine. Forget the mod's for a minute, just take two bonestock fOCI - drive one like a granny, and drive the other like a refugee from 2Fast2Furious. I guarantee you the granny car is going to last a LOT longer. Even if it was moderately modded, as long as you kept your foot out of it, the wear and tear doesn't change.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.