Hit and Run!... then I bust a U-e and catch up! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8683
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Gray ZX4

FF Reputation: 4 magicleo2120 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hit and Run!... then I bust a U-e and catch up!

yah, well last week friday... I was on my way to WeHo (West Hollywood) to meet one of my friends up for dinner. When I was on the turning lane to go left when this red expedition is in front of me doing the same turn going the opposite way. he got to close to me where he side swipped me and messed up my bumper and broke my tinted tail light He knew what he did and took off! so i bust a U turn and follow him... he sees and keeps driving he pulls over after a minute because supposedly he was looking for a place to park. He is from Texas visiting for work, is in a rental and his wife is yelling at me saying i was in the way and that its my fault. he then stuffs her back in the car and wants to work with out insurance contact. i say nah, lets exchange insurance he denies me and starts writing on a business card. he writes his name, wifes name address and contact #. I never saw his ID/DL... he then says to call him and he would send me a check for the damage. I was stunned because it happened so quick and he took off!... so I end up meeting up with my friend and he makes me call my insurance. I call and file a claim.... that was friday...then today I go to a local body shop to see how much the damage is and i ended up not getting the cost because i needed an appointment. I did get it looked at and was told that my tinted lights are not covered :( so back to red stock lights since i dont have the funds to get them tinted again. bumper supposedly is not being replaced but, if it was/were to... can i reqst an ST bumper to be installed and I would pay for the difference? or how does that work?.... also should i pay for the deductible my insurance is asking for... it wasnt my fault! plus im unemployed right now ill post pics in a minute....

Johnny

PIAA headlights & window wipers, Silverstar turn signals, clear OBX side markers, ST grille and ST fog-light bezels, white LED dome light, blacked out tail lights, debadged, MBRP exhaust, Focus Sport CAI, Focus Central front strut bar, Pioneer DEH-P6700MP CD player, Pioneer 3-way & 4-way speakers, 2 Kenwood 10"s, Dual Amp (2 channel), 5% 2xrear tint, 5% 1xfront, Eibach Sportline suspension w/ Pro dampers and more to cum...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 01:11 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Should've called the cops with his license plate number and turned him in for hit and run...the rental companies know who is driving the cars, it wouldn't be too hard for the police to track him down...he has to eventually turn the car back in. Regardless of what he says, what he did constitutes willfully fleeing the scene of an accident, which in many states is at least a 4th degree felony.

Plus with a police report on file showing a H&R your insurance company would have a hard time putting the blame on you. You might still be able to file a report, just go down to the police department/precinct station with jurisdiction where this happened, explain it to them and tell them you want to file a report for insurance claims...then tell your insurance company. You shouldn't have to pay a dime for this and it certainly shouldn't be your insurance's responsibility to pay for the damage this guy caused. The reason he gave you his "information" was most likely because he 1) didn't opt for the optional insurance plan on the rental and 2) doesn't carry rental coverage on his personal auto insurance policy.

I wouldn't have your policy pay out on this unless the guy turns deadbeat and refuses to pay for the damages (he most likely will, but there's a slim chance he won't.) Odds are he'll just blow you off, say he's never seen you in his life and you're making it all up...odds are the only way you'd get anything out of him would be to take him to small-claims court in Texas. If your policy does pay the damages, your premium will go up for having been in an accident and he'll get completely off without paying a dime.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 AM   #3
!FRENCH FRY!

Fan#: 31168
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv

FF Reputation: 8 stoopidsteve87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
yep yep, ska just covered everything i was going to say and then some. in any case, he's completely right and i'm sure you already know it too...if your insurance pays out then your rates are going up. and that ain't right. he'd get away free. i just had a minor accident recently, less damage than yours even, fortunately no real damage just a cracked bumper turn signal and a scraped up bumper. he didn't want to do anything with insurance, which i agree with after the fact, but was in shock at the time at what actually happened. but we exchanged names and phone numbers, and i jotted down his license plate just in case. completely understand where you're coming from though about still being in shock at what happened and the guy trying to get away, and i'm sure after this you'll remember to get a license plate number or something. good luck with it, hope you don't get screwed.
Gump Crew #11 / Team Duratec #196
THE Blazin' Copper Hottness of the South

!FRENCH FRY! - The Stop Light Destroyer
Taylor Swift Crew(TSC) #2
Old 02-12-2008, 08:50 AM   #4

Fan#: 38279
What I Drive: vehicle

FF Reputation: 7 razorrik Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
i think ya friged up
Old 02-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Hiyadoin'

Fan#: 48389
What I Drive: 2004 Infrared SVT, EAP #1440

FF Reputation: 9 stivo Good Standing Member
yeah man, if he's running first thing is get his plate numbers. Then an insurance claim will stick better.

tough luck on that one. This actually happened to my wife... twice. The first time her car was totalled because a truck made an illegal left turn in front of her, hit her car then took off... another person followed the truck and got the plate number for her and the truck's insurance covered it.

The second time was a hit and run on the freway, some body rear ended her and took off... she was stunned and didn't get the plate number or even the make of the car. There was nothing we could do with that one... our insurance covered it, but we have full coverage.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
WAFFLEY!

Fan#: 10426
What I Drive: 2006 Fusion SE Midnight Blue

FF Reputation: 11 Waffles ZX3 Kona Sport Great Standing Member
Yeah you should have definitely filed a police report. I made that mistake last summer. I was in a parking lot sitting in my car when this guy pulls up and parks next to me. Of course, every other parking space is empty but he decides he needs to park right next to me, for some reason. Well as he's getting out of the car (he backed into the spot), his door slams into the side of my car, (so hard my car rocked to the side!) and put a nice little dent under the rear driver side window - right on the crease. Well we exchaged basic information (no insurance). I called him later that day and asked what he wanted to do, and had my father speak to him as well. HE CLAIMED HE DIDN'T DO IT, THAT IT THE DENT WAS ALREADY THERE, refused his insurance info and hung up.

What really irks me is that this guy is the highway superintendant for my county. I figure that county workers should be held to a higher standard than others because of their positions. But it seems that around here, they're still scum. I know its partly my fault for not taking insurance info or reporting to to the police, but I still feel that people could be a little more honest.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Fan#: 45801
What I Drive: SC 5.0 FOFO BUILD IN PROGRESS

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing Member SquillyB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Similar story only guy backed up after pulling out to far at the light. Left the car in reverse and popped me. Tried to take off, ran him down. Tried the same BS as OG poster with the biz card. He tried to leave so I said I was calling the cops. Rental car plate so I figured fine drive away Mr Cool guy in the rental.

Then I smashed his back window with a rock on the side of the road from about ten feet away. Needless to say, I paid $350 for rear window he paid over 3000 for front end and motor damage
Old 02-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 240,849, Level 100
Points: 240,849, Level: 100 Points: 240,849, Level: 100 Points: 240,849, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
See?, sometimes Ska and I can agree. He is right on the money here.

Yeah, sounds like he pulled a slick one on you. Shame. But you should have got his plate number. If you had a cell, next time call the cops. This guy should be up on charges for a hit and run. I"ll bet $$$$ he ends up NEVER contacting you. Personally, I wouldn't have let him leave without proper ID... Always get all you can, especially tag number. That rental company knows who he is.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9982
What I Drive: 2000 Toreador Red SE

Points 1,367, Level 20
Points: 1,367, Level: 20 Points: 1,367, Level: 20 Points: 1,367, Level: 20
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 10 Tbones00SE Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Yeah, you definitely should have called the police. If it's a minor fender bender then maybe you can deal with a person (I'm talking anything below your deductible), but if there is good amount of damage then I'm all about filing a claim. Remember, you don't have to file a claim with your insurance, if the other party is at fault. File a claim with THEIR insurance, then all you need to do is contact your insurance and let them know that an accident occured, but that you were not at fault and you are going to file with the other insurance company. As for the ST bumper, talk to the body shop. They can only charge the insurance company for the original bumper, but I don't see why they wouldn't order the ST bumper if you offered to pay the difference. It's all the same to them. If you want the work done now then you are probably going to have to pay the deductible and then sue the guy to get that money back.
Zetec Crew #73
ATX Faction #24
Mods: Volant CAI, 65mm TB, CFM Lower Mount, VF Passenger Mount, SVT Header, SVT Cat, SVT Flex, and Trubendz 2.5" exhaust, Roush Suspension, Tune and CarPC.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
!FRENCH FRY!

Fan#: 31168
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv

FF Reputation: 8 stoopidsteve87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
yep yep, tag number is the easiest thing to get and can get anyone tracked down. me and the guy that i had a run in with, both being young, neither of us wanted to call the cops or insurance for something so small, but got his license just in case it turned out there was more than what was seen. gave me his name and number but i even told him i was going to jot down his license plate just in case.

sucks you may have had to learn the hard way.
Gump Crew #11 / Team Duratec #196
THE Blazin' Copper Hottness of the South

!FRENCH FRY! - The Stop Light Destroyer
Taylor Swift Crew(TSC) #2

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.