08 owners, please respond - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50920
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Fusion SE Ecoboost

FF Reputation: 1 Mikeydeno Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
08 owners, please respond

OK question, anyone who has an 08 may be able to answer this...on the vehicles electronic information center it says X miles to E. Well i notice that whenever i fill up, this number always changes, sometimes its as high as 415-420 other times its like 360 miles to empty. Does this information change depending on driving patterns?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47719
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta SE

FF Reputation: 72 ShamrockSVT Excellent Standing Member
I'm not an 08 owner, but yes. The car's computer gets that estimate of miles to empty based on your average mpg's and a static reading of the amount of fuel in your tank. Just as you canot 100% trust your fuel gauge (when it says you have exactly 1/2 a tank of gas, you most liekly have around 1/2 a tank, but the gauge isn't 100% accurate because it only gives a static reading) you can't trust the miles to empty or MPG readouts to be dead on. On other Ford vehicles with information centers that gave such data, if found that the miles to empty can be off by as many as 50-75 miles in either direction, and its stated average MPG for a given time frame did not match the gallons required to refill the tank divided into the miles driven, but then again, odometers and speedometers are never 100% accurate ever.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52385
What I Drive: 2008 Silver Frost Metallic SES..ATX

FF Reputation: 2 zzr4u2nv Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeydeno View Post
OK question, anyone who has an 08 may be able to answer this...on the vehicles electronic information center it says X miles to E. Well i notice that whenever i fill up, this number always changes, sometimes its as high as 415-420 other times its like 360 miles to empty. Does this information change depending on driving patterns?

It's gonna always read different based on how you're driving and what your average MPG are.......Are you resetting it after each fill up????

If you don't reset it after each fill up it's just going to keep getting an average of everything from the previous tanks of gas as well as the new tank of gas.

If you want it to be most accurate.....as well as having your average MPG accurate then you should make sure that you're resetting them after each fill up.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
meat and cheese

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

Points 19,453, Level 88
Points: 19,453, Level: 88 Points: 19,453, Level: 88 Points: 19,453, Level: 88
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 85%
Activity: 85% Activity: 85% Activity: 85%
FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
my friends GP GTP had one and when he reset it after filling up, it was usually fairly accurate enough.
ST Crew #11
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Focus Takeover #013 / Tarbo Fan # 001
Old 01-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #5

Fan#: 51782
What I Drive: 07 Pitch Black ZX5, 02 Red SVTF

FF Reputation: 0 patalrob Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
My Silverado had that on it also I believe it was on how you drove it.

Also I did reaset the gas mileage and all the other things that it had when you refiled it.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
Umm, nothing

Fan#: 3341
What I Drive: 03 Black ZX3, 09 F150

Points 4,809, Level 44
Points: 4,809, Level: 44 Points: 4,809, Level: 44 Points: 4,809, Level: 44
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 7 Onlyford4me Good Standing Member
I think this is another one of those useless gauges and something else to go wrong with the car. If you dont' know how much gas you have left in your car and have any questions as to whether you need to fill up, just do so. If there isn't any place to fill up, you are screwed anyway. That little gauge hiked the price of the car probably 100 dollars.

"Government is not the solution to the problem; government is the problem."
Old 01-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50920
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Fusion SE Ecoboost

FF Reputation: 1 Mikeydeno Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyford4me View Post
I think this is another one of those useless gauges and something else to go wrong with the car. If you dont' know how much gas you have left in your car and have any questions as to whether you need to fill up, just do so. If there isn't any place to fill up, you are screwed anyway. That little gauge hiked the price of the car probably 100 dollars.
Alright dude, I think you can chill out with the unnecessary attitude....I know when to fill up and this is a standard option unless you get the base model

And for the rest of you, I'll reset it next time, and thanks for the info!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #8

Fan#: 38279
What I Drive: vehicle

FF Reputation: 7 razorrik Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
so its basically just another electronic unreliable useless item just there to fill empty space?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43700
What I Drive: 01 Audi TT 04 GTO

FF Reputation: 3 ilovemyzx3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorrik View Post
so its basically just another electronic unreliable useless item just there to fill empty space?
actually i beleive they are very reliable. my audi has one, and it has never given me a problem, i have driven all the way to where it has said around 10-15 miles left till i am empty. and i have yet to run out of gas. i think it is a good thing to have, because i can be at a quarter of a tank, and still have over 100 miles left till i run out of gas, and for those of us who dont have a ton of mponey to constanly fill up it helps knowing we have that many miles left to drive instead of 1/4 tank which tells you nothing.
TEAM DURATEC #67
FOCUS FACTOR MEMBER
Old 01-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 51873
What I Drive: 2008, Black, SES

FF Reputation: 1 Axis Good Standing Member
I ran the focus down to 20 miles left to E and never ran out. I was getting around 41 mpg at the time so I supposely had a half a gallon left.

I just wonder if they have any reserve built into that. Say the gauge says you can go 10 more miles but if you pushed it you could go 40. Cause they know people like me would stretch it as far as possible before killing their wallet. :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.