MotorWeek 2008 Ford Focus Road Test - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 04:31 AM   #1
Tom
FF Founder

Fan#: 2
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen ZX3 SES Turbo

Points 87,015, Level 100
Points: 87,015, Level: 100 Points: 87,015, Level: 100 Points: 87,015, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 60 Tom Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
MotorWeek 2008 Ford Focus Road Test

It's conventional wisdom that no car company makes money building small cars in North America. But, when Ford took the wraps off its reworked Focus compacts, there was renewed hope as high fuel prices have made smaller cars fashionable again. Ditching their wagon and hatchbacks, the handsome new Focus sedan and decidedly sporty coupe looked better equipped to do battle with segment leaders Civic and Corolla. So, is the new Focus ready to make some hay?

With gas prices and small car sales both up, Ford is counting on the new 2008 Focus compacts to boost the brand's appeal, especially to young first time buyers.

To get their attention, Ford has given the Focus a new look, and new technology.

Styling is a Ford family mixture: the larger Fusion sedan, a bit of Mustang, and even a hint of truck.

There's a chrome thick-bar grille, prominent bumpers, barrel shaped fog lamps, and headlamp housings that sweep up into the hood and fenders.

The flanks bare the sharp character lines of a reverse side scoop, headed by a chromed fake vent. Rear styling, on the other hand, is broad, flat, and rather generic.

Base wheels are 15-inch, with 16-inch rims on our top grade SES test car, all with tire pressure monitoring.

All the details translate slightly better to the coupe. Still, it's a surprisingly conservative, American look that might be a tough sell to young buyers who so readily embraced the previous car.

The interior of the new Focus is very clean with peaceful multi-color ambient lighting available. It's laid out more like an upscale European car, complete with large round and rectangular switchgear, and a dash top status screen. Gauges again go for a Mustang theme.

Two-row head curtain airbags are standard, as is a CD/MP3 audio with speed sensitive volume control, and aux input for MP3 players. For hands free use of digital devices such as iPods, memory sticks, and cell phones, buyers can opt for Sync; a voice command interface from Microsoft, that will even read you your text messages.

Our 4-door's rear seat was fine for all but the tallest. And, the split folding seatbacks increase trunk space, which is already a sizable 13.8 cubic-feet.

Both sedan and coupe are fitted with a carryover 2.0-liter twin-cam 4. 2008 ratings are 140 horsepower and 132 pound-feet of torque. Gearbox choices are a 5-speed manual or our car's optional 4-speed automatic.

We dropped it into drive, for a pokey 0-to-60 time of 10.1 seconds. The quarter-mile strolled by in 17.5 seconds at 82 miles-per-hour.

While it feels peppy off the line, the 2.0 revs slowly. However, noise and vibration are about the same as a Civic or Corolla. The automatic shifts slowly, too, with more rev drop off than we'd like.

On the flip side are good Government Fuel Economy Ratings of 24 city/33 highway. We were pleased with 30 miles-per-gallon of regular gas. Its Energy impact score is also an earth-friendly 12.2 barrels of oil per year.

We also were impressed on how the Focus takes corners. It's no slot car, but in our slalom tests proved to be a rather entertaining little driving machine with easy turn-ins and only mild push.

Brakes were adequate for the occasion: disc and drums with optional ABS. Stops from 60 averaged the 132 feet. Chassis feel is very solid with good pedal feedback.

On everyday roads, the Focus delivers a most comfortable ride, even over choppy pavement, so all-in-all, commutes will be quite comfortable.

Pricing for this new Focus compact is also comfortable: $14,995 for the S-grade sedan; $15,995 for SE-grade; and our top of the line SES starts at $16,995. Coupe prices are $300 less. Fully loaded, our test car wears a $20,200 sticker.

The 2008 Ford Focus is a capable compact with many modern and attractive features, including economy and price. It's a solid if unremarkable buy. While not a challenger for the segment's best, yet, it does show that Ford has refocused its attention on the car market. And, we think, in the end, they will profit greatly for it.

Link to Video:
http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/video/r...0b_flash.shtml

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2007, 06:55 AM   #2

Fan#: 8
What I Drive: '14 Escape Titanium w/401A package

Points 4,901, Level 44
Points: 4,901, Level: 44 Points: 4,901, Level: 44 Points: 4,901, Level: 44
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 21 EggYolkBill Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Seems like a pretty fair assessment to me.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Umm, nothing

Fan#: 3341
What I Drive: 03 Black ZX3, 09 F150

Points 4,809, Level 44
Points: 4,809, Level: 44 Points: 4,809, Level: 44 Points: 4,809, Level: 44
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 7 Onlyford4me Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggYolkBill View Post
Seems like a pretty fair assessment to me.
I was thinking the same thing. I never thought I'd say this, but it is starting to grow on me a little. Usually it takes a car a few times looking at it to grow on me, but this one took months to start. Maybe seeing some modded is what is doing it. Hopefully Ford DID make the right move and the 08 flourishes. I'd love to get more people buying and modding Focus'. More attention to the Focus means more aftermarket support...possibly for older models as well.

"Government is not the solution to the problem; government is the problem."
Old 12-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33983
What I Drive: 2007 Liquid Grey ZX4

FF Reputation: 5 akight Good Standing Member
0-60 > 10 seconds... woooosh!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #5

Fan#: 8
What I Drive: '14 Escape Titanium w/401A package

Points 4,901, Level 44
Points: 4,901, Level: 44 Points: 4,901, Level: 44 Points: 4,901, Level: 44
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 21 EggYolkBill Great Standing Member
The manual tested by MT was 8.2(or 8.something) so there's a big difference between the auto and manual as far as performance goes.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggYolkBill View Post
The manual tested by MT was 8.2(or 8.something) so there's a big difference between the auto and manual as far as performance goes.
yea definitly...I just wish ford would of replaced the automatic slush box that its been using for so long. The review was fair, they seemed to safetly stay away from comparing it to any other cars in detail. The car is starting to grow on me. Idk if I would pay 20k for one though.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 red mazdaspeed3 w/tech package

Points 4,266, Level 41
Points: 4,266, Level: 41 Points: 4,266, Level: 41 Points: 4,266, Level: 41
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 22 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
The soundtrack is interesting.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18480
FF Reputation: 1 InFocus66 Good Standing Member
Zzzzzzz.....
Old 12-07-2007, 03:00 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18480
FF Reputation: 1 InFocus66 Good Standing Member
The 2.3 with the automatic WAS one of the best combo's I have ever driven. Plus it almost always got in the high 28-29 range for combo mpg.

But that was too good now wasn't it Ford? Can't have that now can we?

Im tired of Ford making great combinations then dumping them just after the public gets wind of it.. The problem comes from Ford not trusting itself, and not knowing when to stop after its had one of its truly "better ideas"

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.