American Manufacturer Opinions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43232
What I Drive: 04 EAP ZX5 SVTF

FF Reputation: 31 BlackJack03 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
American Manufacturer Opinions

Hey everybody,

I know this is a FORD forum...and I'm all about that. I just wanted to hear what everybody thought about other US manufacturers...

So let's hear it about:

Chevy/Pontiac/GM

Dodge/Chrysler

I just woke up so I can't think of any others, but you get the jist of it.

I want some honest opinions here...and I don't want any stupid, one-line posts that say "Chevy sucks."

I would like to know how they are, maybe compared to Ford, or just overall. What would you buy/what wouldn't you buy? What's good, what's bad about them? Please inform me and inform us all with your knowledge/experience. Thank you.

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Ketchup is King!

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

Points 19,400, Level 88
Points: 19,400, Level: 88 Points: 19,400, Level: 88 Points: 19,400, Level: 88
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 81%
Activity: 81% Activity: 81% Activity: 81%
FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The Corvette is the best car in the world, GM isn't afraid to offer beastly V8's unlike Ford and hell I can't dog a Viper at all and I love the SRT series. Can you argue with a lifetime warranty either? Oh yeah can you say Challanger? The Mustang will still be better though.
ST Crew #11 / SSR #5
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Focus Takeover #013
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
puddins betch

Fan#: 28587
What I Drive: 05 ,ZX3, blue

FF Reputation: 3 sir alpha Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i dont think the name on the grill matters all that much any more they all hold about the same standard and the same basic design ideas so it really boils down to how u take care of it

everyone has a bad day at work now and then im a welder and there have been days i told my boss " im going home nothing is working out and things just arent fitting " come in the next day and its all good, that might have been the parts that didnt fit or just me dont know and dont care- but if some one has a bad day when building the car u can have a less than perfect car from the factory no matter what factory it came from

and some how i all ways end up back in a ford i dont know why, i have had good luck w/ them

ALFRED NEWMAN for prez!! maaan
Old 08-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43208
FF Reputation: 1 Awesome Andy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
GM is definitely getting their act together, at a time where Ford and Chrysler are both doing pretty poor. The Chevy line almost from bottom to top is either a good enough car (Cobalt, Corvette) or getting one soon (new Impala, new Malibu). Pontiac's going to be kicking some serious ass once the G8 hits, as well as the next G5 (rumored RWD), although the Solstice (and Saturn Sky) could use bigger trunks. Turning them into Holden North American will do wonders for them, I think. Cadillac has some great cars (CTS-V) that are genuine competitors with foreign cars while being much cheaper (a guy on another forum got an 06 CTS-V for $35,5 after deciding a new M5 was too heavy and felt it). GM's biggest weakness is its repetition across brand lines. GMC is basically redundant, although I would rather see Chevy trucks disappear. If they dropped one truck brand, the remaining one would be the best selling pickup. Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra combined outsell the F-series. Buick is mainly a joke at this point and it's going to be where Caddy was 10 years ago if they don't do something about it. Saab...as much as I love Saab, they're no good for GM and GM is no good for them. Saturn looks like it will be making a huge comeback as they transition into Opel/Vauxhall North America. The Astra is a great car, as are the Aura and the Sky. GM just needs better brand differentiation and they'll be golden.

Ford looks like they have a good future, but their present isn't so hot. Other than the Mustang and the Fusion and its brand copies, nothing is really selling too well as far as cars go. The F-series continues to sell, but that's a market that will never completely go away. The Mustang is a decent enough car, but will be facing some serious competition in the next couple years as the Camaro and Challenger debut. The GT500 is a joke from a performance standpoint.

Chysler has almost nothing worth mentioning. The Viper is a cool car for sure, but the Corvette kills it outside of raw power. The Caliber is a horrible replacement for the Neon. The Avenger is only marginally better than the Stratus. See also: new Sebring. The Jeep brand is getting painfully diluted. Compass? Come on now. The Hemis make some nice power and torque, but are miserable on fuel economy. They shut off half the cylinders and they still uses more gas than an LS2 using all eight. The Challenger is going to be a great car, as long as they actually give it a manual like they're saying. Oh yeah, why the hell do they make what they claim to be performance versions of their cars without an available manual?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:37 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43232
What I Drive: 04 EAP ZX5 SVTF

FF Reputation: 31 BlackJack03 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Alright, that's what I'm talkin about. Pure and simple analysis based on experience.

Keep it comin if you've got more.

Let me throw some more in there (I guess we'll have to do some non-American stuff that's not really front-line):

Subaru

Mitsubishi

Peace.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5420
What I Drive: 2004 Comp Orange SVT & 2004 Titan

FF Reputation: 14 gratefullife Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I do agree with you Andy that things with GM are looking pretty good...IMO though I'd also agree that they need to do some rebuilding from the inside out.

Pontiac just doesn't do it for me anymore. The GTO is hot and all, but come on, look at the options you have for that car...barely anything to nill. And the Grand Am/Grand Prix...doesn't matter too much what the bird looks like on the outside if it's the same ole stuffing filling up the interior. Problem with these cars to me is that same old interior they've had for a long while. Although I'm not an advocate of a redesign every couple years either, it seems like a good deal of GM cars have been stuck in a rut. Although I have not sat in any of them I'd say the G5, G6 and the Solstice, are a step in the right direction.

Saturn, with their new line is turning out great IMO. Although I do really like the GMC Acadia more, that new Outlook to me is Great!!

Again, I agree Andy, they need to do something about the Sierra/Silverado and the Colorado/Canyon thing they have going on. I think it may be a bit more than just dropping one or the other though...look at the newest comparisons of what is seemingly becoming the Big 5 as far as 1/2 ton trucks go and look at where the Silverado/Sierra fall in to step. Not too bad, but not all that great either. In the HD department, now that I'd agree with.

As far as Ford goes, it just seems to be a slow falling disappointment from year to year... Look at this, they create the Fusion to do away with and try and get a younger crowd over to the Taurus...what happens? It back fires and although yes, the Fusion is doing well, they pissed off the Taurus lovers so much that they are re-releasing for '08 and still keeping the Fusion line. Seems a bit redundant to me. We all have our opinions on the new foci and the fact that we can't get a good sport edition to really take it to the competition let alone get a TRUE Euro edition over here... Dodge seems like the only other one so far to give up on the sport compact altogether for the enthusiast.

Andy hit it right on with Dodge and Chrysler although I too do enjoy the SRT series.

Edit: Looking at the Pontiac website and the GTO is not even listed to build for '07??

Last edited by gratefullife; 08-08-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3515
What I Drive: 2010 Ford Fusion Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Fordfreak3368 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
As most everyone said The GM lines have been turning themselves around for the better, As much as i'd like to leave a "Chevy Sucks"here, the fact of the matter is that they are making the effort to do what needs to be done.

Chrysler Lines, Never really been a big fan of but that challenger is hot, I hope they brong it out. I think Dodge is trying Too hard. The avenger looks like an uglified mini charger. Which according to them was the idea, but it just doesnt work in my opinion. Did Daimler ever drop/sell them?

Ford is slooowly turning around. The Fusion and Edge are working well, and supposedly the "Taurus" with the changes they made will start coming along. The F-150 is getting redone again in 2009 and there are rumors of a 4.5 liter diesel option. They are releasing the Freemont Concept, and the european ford Festiva(C Segment Car, Think Aveo...but better. The MKII Euro focus will never make it over because its a direct size and price competitor of the Fusion, But rumors are that the MKIII Focus will be intended as a world platform focus. We'll See. Mazda and Volvo are doing well for them, they would be dumb to lose those brands. and as we saw Ford had 5 cars in the Top quality ranking.
Team Focus Cleveland #4 is now up for grabs

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.