GUESS WHAT?? MY SIDE AIR BAG WENT OFF!! pics included! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33737
What I Drive: 04 CD Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 SVTFsOnIcBlUe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
GUESS WHAT?? MY SIDE AIR BAG WENT OFF!! pics included!

Ok so it was Monday 26March at approx 7 P.M. I was driving to school on the 60 freeway over this rough patch of road that I have driven on many many times before when all of a sudden I hear this loud BANG! I freak out and I see smoke all inside the car and I think OHHH SHIT MY CAR IS ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!! So I pull off to the side real quick and shut off the engine. I pop the hood release and open my door and I notice this bag sticking out of my seat!! I knew the air bags were in the seats but I've never seen one before and It was totally uncalled for for it to have gone off because I didn't hit anything!!! Well the smoke in the car was the propellent used to inflate the air bag so there was nothing wrong with my engine at all. I look underneath the car and everything looks fine so I continue to my first day of classes.
Next day I put my car up on ramps and look underneath and everything looks in tiptop shape, like it should! I was like WTF!!! Stupid Air bag. So next day I take it to the dealer hoping they will cover it under warrenty since I still have my 5 year 75k going for me. Of course the warrenty manager blows me off saying "blah blah not covered your fault blah blah" whatever. So I take the car to the collision shop they have on site, which is really nice BTW and get an estimate. $1800+ for them to fix it because they have to put in a new seat! I was like ok whatever guess I'll call my insurance. I called my insurance made a claim and brought it back to the collision center at the dealer. Had enterprise pick me up for a rent a car which is covered under my insurance which I didn't even know BTW LOL. When I pick up the rental I realized I had left my parking permits for school in the car and so I go back to the dealer to pick them up. They had my beloved SVT on lifts and were looking under it and were just bringing it down when I got there. The service manager in charge of my car, who is a stand up guy, says he has looked under the car and 2 other suspension guys have looked under the car and they said it was in tiptop shape!! He says that this should be covered under the air bag warranty and he actually goes and fights with the warranty manager in the warranty office saying that is BS this should be covered there is nothing wrong with the car no indication of a collision what-so-ever. Of course I had told this to the warranty guy earlier but he blew me off. So now they are rethinking covering me under warranty but they need to do this electrical diagnostic test which cannot be done until Monday. I say ok but I have already made a claim with my insurance and got a rental car!!! So I call my insurance and my claim representitive says its cool keep the rental until they do there little test and if its covered under warrenty then we will just cancel your insurance claim. I was like ok awsome!! SO now I am waiting until Monday for there little eletrical test...In the mean time Enterprise did not have any small cars available so They gave me a G35 for my rental!!!!!!!!!!!! Man what a nice car!!! So I will keep you guys posted if Ford decides to do the right thing and cover me under warrenty for a faulty air bag deployment! The difference will be $50 vs my $500 insurance deductable!!! If you read this whole story Then enjoy these pics of my faulty air bag deployment

====UPDATE 7APRIL2007====
Ok so Ford corporate finally came down and gave the OK to fix it under warranty!!! Yeah!!! So that means I had to bring my sweet G35 back, which the insurance was paying for, and swap it for something Ford would pay for. Well unfortunately this ford dealer does not rent there own cars and so goes through enterprise. the dealer will only cover $28 a day on a rental and with their discounted rate that only covers PRE-TAX amount on the smallest rental cars like a focus, ion, cobalt ect...So I end up having to pay the freakin tax each and every day i have the rental which comes out to around $2 a day. I know its not much but c'mon!!????? why the hell does the dealer do that?? It just seems kinda lame don't you guys think? Anyway they originally stuck me with this absolute stripper model cobalt that had NO POWER ANYTHING! I had to literally walk around each car door and lock it individually....Sucks. So I brought it back the second day and asked if I could swap it for something with atleast power locks. They were happy to accomodate and guess what they gave me?? A FOCUS!!! hehe much better car IMHO. Thnx for looking guys!

Last edited by SVTFsOnIcBlUe; 04-07-2007 at 02:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
what it be like

Fan#: 40563
What I Drive: 03 EAP

Points 41,796, Level 100
Points: 41,796, Level: 100 Points: 41,796, Level: 100 Points: 41,796, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 27 dirtbrown Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
wow!!!
thats crazy man...now im scared that the airbag in my steering wheel is just gonna go off one day and kill me lol.........
i have recaros in my car.......do i have airbags in my seats???
Old 03-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43898
What I Drive: 03 Red Vibe, 04 Honda CBR 600RR

FF Reputation: 1 ilangsfs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Does it say AIRBAG on the side of the seat, about 3/4 of the way up the outside edge of the seat back? If so, you have em.
2003 SVTF #1913 *SOLD*

"Liberalism is a mental disorder." --Michael Savage
Old 03-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17718
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 t_bone_c34 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
damn son...

This Lambo once tried to race me. Yea thats right, I said tried... Because he didn't know about my Turbonator.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Well aside from your car deciding to completely wig out and probably scare you half to death with the bang/smoke combo (I know it would've confused me!)

At least you got a nice rental AND (better yet) it seems you have a real good guy at the dealer and your insurance company is being considerate. So all told, not too shabby, just really annoying/weird for your airbag to spontaneously deploy...
Old 03-30-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe

Fan#: 2179
What I Drive: 2009 Octane Blue Pearl Lancer GTS

FF Reputation: 6 CrazyMatt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
^Slow your roll Dirk Diggler or you're going to have be back in the hospital with broken nuts!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:55 PM   #7
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
the side airbagis scary! had mine go off when i spun on an on-ramp and smacked a curb. F'ed my tint too! the seat costs so much cuz they have to put it together, buy and install all new sensors. <--which are a crazy price!
if you can swing it, id tell them to cut you a check and go get some aftermarket seats!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #8
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
and i hope your seat-bottom isnt faded, cuz your going to have a brand new blue fabric on the seatback!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:57 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42902
What I Drive: 04 black ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Socal SVT Good Standing Member
$hit, hope that doesnt happen to me. Congrats on getting the better end of the stick on this one... oh where in the LA are are you??
Old 03-30-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43898
What I Drive: 03 Red Vibe, 04 Honda CBR 600RR

FF Reputation: 1 ilangsfs Good Standing Member

Airbags suck, except when they are keeping your face from bouncing off of hard parts in the car. I got in a wreck in a 2000 S-10 in which the airbag blew and it friggin sucked. Cab was filled with smoke, the bag burnt my arm, and I am just whining. Oh well...

[/rant]
2003 SVTF #1913 *SOLD*

"Liberalism is a mental disorder." --Michael Savage

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.