06 Focus on Ice/Snow - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2007, 05:25 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 36892
What I Drive: 2006 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 metauser Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
06 Focus on Ice/Snow

All, living in West Michigan when driving on glare ice and or light snow. The rearend seems to want to track towards the passenger side of the road and at times, it feels 'squirrely' at times. On dry pavement at times in the rain driving across the patches in the road I get the same thing. Has anyone else had such problems??? This car only has 13K on it.... I'm assuming I should contact the deal on this....?????? Any words of wisdom out there????

TIA...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 38163
Points 2,104, Level 27
Points: 2,104, Level: 27 Points: 2,104, Level: 27 Points: 2,104, Level: 27
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 QQQQ Good Standing Member
Have the front and rear alignment checked.My car felt darty when I first got it used,especially over uneven pavement,even in a straight line.The toe in the rear was off.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:21 AM   #3
Focus Rookie

I had gotten 'bumped' back in the Summer and had a 4 wheel alignment, according to the readout, all the toe and camber settings were set back to stock or what appeared to be stock. I just called the shop that performed the work and have it scheduled for this upcoming week day...

I'll let everyone know... Something is wrong...
Old 02-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
I have the same exact problem, and i've already been through 2 alignments in the past 6 months. Getting a new set of tires seems to have a little bit, but with snow it's still pretty scary.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
meat and cheese

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

Points 19,451, Level 88
Points: 19,451, Level: 88 Points: 19,451, Level: 88 Points: 19,451, Level: 88
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 85%
Activity: 85% Activity: 85% Activity: 85%
FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I allready hit a curb with my back passenger wheel and likely screwed something up. I allready did an alligbment after that.
ST Crew #11
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Focus Takeover #013 / Tarbo Fan # 001
Old 02-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
Bunneh Fanatic

I know this sort of discussion has been pounded to death in other threads, but I kinda have a feeling that the "passive rear steering" is what's causing a lot of the stability problems. I don't know how many other cars have the same (or similar) feature. I've heard about the Contour and Mystique having the same thing. But from experience I've never experienced the nasty rear swinging/skipping that the Focus has in other cars I've driven.

Don't get me wrong, I love A LOT of the things about my Focus that can't be matched with other manufacturers, but I will admit that I wish it had the stability of some of the other cars. I'm still sort of hoping and relying on the SVT suspension kit to help fix the problem, once I can afford it, because I really don't want to get rid of my Focus right now. I still have hope...
Old 02-07-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
Focus Rookie

SO, I have an appointment at the local shop that performed the 4 wheel alignment back in the Summer/Fall. When I picked the car up, it appeared to be fine, now it seems to be getting worse. What types of things should this shop be looking for??? Maybe I should just take it back to the dealership and explain what has taken place.

I don't want to take legal action, but I doubt highly Ford designed a car to slide like this on ice....

Thanks again,
Old 02-07-2007, 07:01 AM   #8
Bunneh Fanatic

I really didn't think it was supposed to slide around ice or get knocked around by high winds this much either, but I've just accepted that all light compact cars will end up doing this. I guess it's the price we pay for getting high gas mileage and quick pickup speed. Each class of car has its strengths and weaknesses. Really the best thing we can do to solve this problem is to get a really good set of tires.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #9
Focus Rookie

Just got my car back from the shop that performed the first alignment back in November. Shop told me the left side tire was out of camber and toe, but they would only charge me for a 2 wheel alignment (YIPPEE)... Anyway, I took the paperwork with me from Nov and compared the two, in my eyes, it looks like it was off from the get go. I had a hard time trying to prove them wrong and the service guy got a little pissy with me claiming they don't drive the car and I probably hit a pothole. I said "So, I should epxect to be back in 3 months for yet another alignment?"... Christ, I knew I should have taken it to the dealer from the word go... What a bunch of ass clowns. This 'shop' we've always had bad luck with and this is the last time they work on any one of my cars....
Old 02-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

Points 5,726, Level 48
Points: 5,726, Level: 48 Points: 5,726, Level: 48 Points: 5,726, Level: 48
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 37 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
AFAIK, the stock alignment range is pretty broad, so the shop could say its within tolerances, but it still could be way off. My car was doing the same squirelly thing on ice, and I had found that I was toed in on the rear tires from when I lowered my car. Also if you are on stock suspension, there is not much you can adjust in you alignment (I think camber and caster are non adjustable, leaving only toe)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.