Suggestions on which year Focus to buy? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 43097
FF Reputation: 1 Fordtoughranger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Suggestions on which year Focus to buy?

Hey Everyone, New to this site, and new to Ford Focus'. More familiar with trucks, and especially Ford Rangers. I learned from owning my Ranger that looking at these Forums and knowing more about a vehicle before you go and buy one can help to get a better one.

To start with Im looking for a car that will get good gas mileage, and be reliable, and don't really need any performance mods and lots of luxury items. Im thinking of just going with a Focus LX Four Door sedan.

So what do you guys suggest as far as year for most reliable/low maintenance. I heard that 99/00 year models have some hickups being just introduced, so 01 and later models would be better bet. Do you guys agree?

I would also like suggestions on what model you guys suggest even though I think the Four Door sedan would be best for me!

Thanks for any input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
#chairlife

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

Points 19,895, Level 89
Points: 19,895, Level: 89 Points: 19,895, Level: 89 Points: 19,895, Level: 89
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
basically anything 02 and up, but if you want a duratec, which you apparantly don't 03 and up.
ST Crew #11
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Focus Takeover #013 / Tarbo Fan # 001
Old 01-21-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28474
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SE, 5spd, pitch black

FF Reputation: 1 tfdmissmatch Good Standing Member
if you get a sedan, make sure it comes with a zetec and not the spi. at least give yourself a path to upgrade. dont make my mistake and get an spi.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:55 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 240,849, Level 100
Points: 240,849, Level: 100 Points: 240,849, Level: 100 Points: 240,849, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Yes, 02 and up is a better bet, and if you don't mind a stick they will get a tick better milage. The tranny seems to be bulletproof on those. Also, there are more than one engine choice. The zetec is the most popular for aftermarket goodies ( 16v ), but there is also a 8v SPI, which has been around forever and seems to get a hair better milage and the cost of a few HP. Other than that the cars seem to be quite reliable.

Welcome and have a look around!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

Points 33,249, Level 100
Points: 33,249, Level: 100 Points: 33,249, Level: 100 Points: 33,249, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
you can buy my 03 white lx sedan, already has some mods done to it, downside is there no pwoer windows etc... and it has the spi, not a bad motor, but its not as much pep as a zetec or duratec, and you are also a few thousand miles away lol
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 43097
FF Reputation: 1 Fordtoughranger Good Standing Member
I will no doubt go with the 5Spd tranny, not very trustworthy of auto tranny's.

Then is the Duratec the 2.0L DOHC 16V found only in the Hatchback? Or is this engine found in the Sedan models as well?

Or is the Zepetec similar to the Duratec but found in the Sedan models?

I will probably choose to go with the little more powerful engine, as I am not a big car guy, I might as well go with the most HP! So will my best bet to identify which engine be to look at the specification tag under the hood or is it on the drivers door frame?

Thanks for the Info!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #7

Fan#: 1358
What I Drive: a car

FF Reputation: 70 HaveBlue83 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
2000's have the best intake manifold.......

I'd say 03 for Zetec

or an 04 for the Duratec if you want that motor with the original style
Old 01-22-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 37971
What I Drive: 2000 Silver LX

FF Reputation: 4 Silas Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtoughranger View Post
I will no doubt go with the 5Spd tranny, not very trustworthy of auto tranny's.

Then is the Duratec the 2.0L DOHC 16V found only in the Hatchback? Or is this engine found in the Sedan models as well?

Or is the Zepetec similar to the Duratec but found in the Sedan models?

I will probably choose to go with the little more powerful engine, as I am not a big car guy, I might as well go with the most HP! So will my best bet to identify which engine be to look at the specification tag under the hood or is it on the drivers door frame?

Thanks for the Info!
Any sedan 00-04 badged LX is the SPI engine. Any sedan 00-04 badged SE is the Zetec. The hatchbacks, 00-04 are mostly Zetec, with the exception of some 03&04 ones which have a 2.3 Duratec pzev in them.

Since you are interested in Sedans....The LX badge is like the bone stock focus....while the SE has more features...You can usually tell by color-matched side moulding, sunroof ( sometimes ) little things.

Its not too hard to tell the engines apart...just pop the hood. The Spi says "2.0L Split Port" on the valve cover, and its unpainted. The Zetec has a black valve cover and says "Zetec" or "2.0 Zetec" or something like that.

Happy Hunting.

SEDAN REVOLUTION #14
Old 01-22-2007, 09:05 PM   #9
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
I'm gonna have to go with '02 and above also. Earlier models had a long list of recalls. That doesn't mean if you get an '00 or '01 it'll fall apart. It's just better to be safe and to stick with a later year model.

The styling is also different (exterior and interior) on the '05 and later models. You may want to compare the earlier generation of Focus with the newer one, if you plan to put the extra bucks down for a newer one.

I myself own an '02 ZX3. I prefer the older style of Focus over the newer one, both interior and exterior. I haven't had any major problems with the two that I've owned.

These cars can take A LOT of abuse, especially with the numerous stupid mistakes I've made with them. I also have to give partial credit for preventing serious injury/death with the first Focus I totalled. It's one of the main reasons why I got another, of the same year model.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 871
What I Drive: '04 CD Silver ZX3, 2.3L Duratec w/

FF Reputation: 8 zekester Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you are looking at just a sedan, I would have to say an '03 - '04 with the 2.3 Duratec. I am biased though being that both my wife & I drive a Focus with the 2.3 in it. Her's is an '03 SE sedan, (2.3 w/ MTX, w/ power package). Mine is an '04 ZX3, (2.3 w/ MTX and power package).

By sig you can see I have done a "few" modifications to my car. But I can honestly say that stock vs stock, my wife's '03 seemed to be quicker than my car. I don't know if it was the gearing difference, difference in the ECU programming, (they messed with it a bit I think from the '03 model year to the '04). Can't put my thumb on it, but it was quicker then my car when it was in its stock form. In addition, have not had any major hiccups with either car.

After all that , I would recommend any '03 model with the 2.3....

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.