'04 Screaming Yellow SVT Restoration - Code Name Rocket - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 MB ZX3, 2004 SY SVT ZX5

Points 13,684, Level 76
Points: 13,684, Level: 76 Points: 13,684, Level: 76 Points: 13,684, Level: 76
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 18 Magus2727 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
'04 Screaming Yellow SVT Restoration - Code Name Rocket

Starting another build / restoration thread

I picked up a new to me 5 door '04 SVT in December of 2016. Has 106k Miles at the time of picking it up from Ohio. This car has spent its whole life in Michigan and Ohio.

The plan for this car is to be a daily driver kept to "stock" conditions.

To aid in some drive-ability that I have become accustomed to in the ZX3. I am planning on adding a short throw shifter, a tune, and possibly a larger TB. The car feels boggy off the line and the tune and TB are a hopes that it can help with some of this.

My SVT Focus is # 5 of 1079. With it being a 5 door in Screaming Yellow Euro Appearance Package it is one of 66 built.

The body and interior is kept in very clean condition. However, some of the suspension components (and by some I mean all) are fairly rusty. The body is clean and straight.

Pictures as I picked it up:

Before driving the 1500 miles out to Utah I did have a shop do a full inspection of the car and identified a few things:
- Shocks & Struts are leaking and/or shot
- The Fuel filter appears to be stock
- The Front control arms need to be replaced to address ball joints and bushings
- Tie Rod ends need to be replaced
- Exhaust heat shield is loose on all points (and was held in by wedging a hunk of aluminum between the header and the shield)

Work was performed regularly. Oil changes were done at a shop where a synthetic blend was used. This will change and will use Mobil-1 for all future oil changes.

Tires are a bit oversized as well but good tires of RE97's AS 205/50R17 with 10/32nd's of tread on all 4 tires.

Timing belt had not been changed on the vehicle yet. At 106k miles it was well over due. Replaced with Motorcraft Tensioner pulley. Which for an FYI the regular Zetec tensioner is a 1lb pulley when correctly set. The SVT one is a 2 lb pulley. I was impressed with the belt construction on the Gates Blue Racing belt so used that belt again. So far about 300 miles since the belt change and no engine codes. It took about 3-4 settings to align up perfectly. After rotating the engine about 10-15 times after each setting if the timing belt bar did not slide easily into the slots I adjusted again.

In the above picture I show the GoldCoastAutomotive Aluminum guide idler pulley. I would not recommend this part any more. I have tried to install it on two vehicle and every time it binds on the middle valve cover. This is now just a paper weight. They need to reduce the size of the lip. It has been replaced with a OEM plastic pulley just like was done on my ZX3 Zetec.

Replaced the spark plugs also at the same time with Motorcraft coppers AZFS22C (465's). Also added new water pump, Accessory belt, accessory belt tensioner and idler pulley.

Replaced with a motorcraft fuel filter.

Inspection of the engine bay showed that the top of the airbox had cracked and was being only held by one screw. A few trips to the junk yard later and clean up I was able to get the air box back to normal. The Fram airfilter had to go, so got a ITG foam drop in filter.

Had Recaro's for the kid seats since we needed them and now with the EAP having Recaro's also for driver and passenger. a family that rides in Recaros stays in Recaros.

The lower radiator support was the first item that needed to be addressed. I went to the junk yard to piece together the air dam. In securing it with zip ties to the lower support the zip crushed the metal and made the hole larger.

Got a new radiator support from RockAuto. During removal a bolt was seized. Bolt extractor did not work. drilled it out and tried to extract it that way. That broke off in the bolt. So ground out the bolt and had to figure out how to secure the lower support to the body.

Found that a Dual welded tab in the 3/8" size from Fasenel:
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0124624?r=~|categoryl1:"600000 Fasteners"|~ ~|categoryl2:"600072 Nuts"|~ ~|categoryl3:"600123 Weld Nuts"|~ ~|sattr02:^"Spot Weld Nut"$|~ ~|sattr06:^"Dual Tapped"$|~

These are a perfect fit. The center to center hole opening is exactly the hole spacing on the support. The bar is able to be fed up through a hole already in the body where the front crash bar is pinch welded to the side box frame/body.

After installing the lower radiator support I noticed that the radiator was moving around a bit to much and had about 1/2" to 3/4" inch of vertical movement. I went to the junk yard and picked up some extra isolators. I cut off the top of the junk yard ones and gorilla glued them and added the extra lift to support the radiator.

Also front lights were a bit foggy so got a Mothers Light restoration kit and got them cleaned up.

Also have changed the back up lights and license plate lights as LED's. I will be replacing them all over some time.
Before and after from regular incandescent lights vs LED lights.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Points 13,684, Level 76
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Saved For Updates
Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 324833
What I Drive: 2013 White Focus 2.0 GDi Sport

Points 731, Level 14
Points: 731, Level: 14 Points: 731, Level: 14 Points: 731, Level: 14
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 87%
Activity: 87% Activity: 87% Activity: 87%
FF Reputation: 1 FourD Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Old 01-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 94526
What I Drive: '08 Muffin, '03 Yellow SVT, '10 SES

Points 2,437, Level 29
Points: 2,437, Level: 29 Points: 2,437, Level: 29 Points: 2,437, Level: 29
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 39%
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%
FF Reputation: 4 TriFocal_Discord Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Nice start! I only have one complaint though. You did mention in the other thread that it's only this specific Gold Coast pulley you had figment issues with. It could very well just be a one off that slipped through QC. Just saying.. I don't think it's grounds for advising people to stay away from em.

MK2008 Coupe: Daily Driver, Basically Stock
03SVT: Racecar, Basically Stock
10SES: Basically Stock
Old 01-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 42911
What I Drive: MK3 Focus

Points 5,912, Level 49
Points: 5,912, Level: 49 Points: 5,912, Level: 49 Points: 5,912, Level: 49
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 99%
FF Reputation: 1 IngotMK3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Congrats on the new daily, they never stay "stock" haha.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Points 13,684, Level 76
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriFocal_Discord View Post
Nice start! I only have one complaint though. You did mention in the other thread that it's only this specific Gold Coast pulley you had figment issues with. It could very well just be a one off that slipped through QC. Just saying.. I don't think it's grounds for advising people to stay away from em.
True, however out of a fitement of 2 pulleys. The first pulley the bearing wallowed out the aluminum requiring replacement. The second pulley to replace it (this one) had fitment issues with hitting the valve time cover. I only discovered this because I assembled the whole thing back together with out the top timing belt cover. trying to put the middle timing belt cover to allow for as much clearance as possible. the pulley seized on the middle cover while I was hand cranking.

If this was not checked before start. Or if it ran and the middle cover slowly moved (there are no locking pins and it has quite a bit of movement) and it moved down reducing the clearance it could still start to seize. I have not approached Gold Coast about it as I have lost confidence in the part. I have technically gone through 3 pulleys:

1. Shipped when rebuild motor on the "Tick" it came with a huge dent on the side. Called them up after a week of trying to contact they replaced it (apparently the owner had his son do the shipping of orders while he was on vacation...)
2. Failed after approx. 30k miles due to wallowed out bearing. Was unable to give any details on failure or reason for it.
3. Had been installed on 2 Zetec blocks with clearance and fitment issues.
4. Also a local racer who has tracked out his Focus FULL track NASA spec had one seize / fail and cause full rebuild. He uses stock plastic on his full race built purpose motor.

3 strikes your out in my book. I Have the cross over tube and had quality issues with that (was not fully debured). I have looked at the coolant tube but am not sure about that.

I am happy that they make and support the aftermarket industry and make parts still for the MK1 focus. However, I have had to many "slips in QA" to recommend or try to buy another item.
TriFocal_Discord likes this.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 94526
What I Drive: '08 Muffin, '03 Yellow SVT, '10 SES

Points 2,437, Level 29
Points: 2,437, Level: 29 Points: 2,437, Level: 29 Points: 2,437, Level: 29
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 39%
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%
FF Reputation: 4 TriFocal_Discord Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
True, however out of a fitement of 2 pulleys. The first pulley the bearing wallowed out the aluminum requiring replacement. The second pulley to replace it (this one) had fitment issues with hitting the valve time cover. I only discovered this because I assembled the whole thing back together with out the top timing belt cover. trying to put the middle timing belt cover to allow for as much clearance as possible. the pulley seized on the middle cover while I was hand cranking.

If this was not checked before start. Or if it ran and the middle cover slowly moved (there are no locking pins and it has quite a bit of movement) and it moved down reducing the clearance it could still start to seize. I have not approached Gold Coast about it as I have lost confidence in the part. I have technically gone through 3 pulleys:

1. Shipped when rebuild motor on the "Tick" it came with a huge dent on the side. Called them up after a week of trying to contact they replaced it (apparently the owner had his son do the shipping of orders while he was on vacation...)

2. Failed after approx. 30k miles due to wallowed out bearing. Was unable to give any details on failure or reason for it.

3. Had been installed on 2 Zetec blocks with clearance and fitment issues.

4. Also a local racer who has tracked out his Focus FULL track NASA spec had one seize / fail and cause full rebuild. He uses stock plastic on his full race built purpose motor.

3 strikes your out in my book. I Have the cross over tube and had quality issues with that (was not fully debured). I have looked at the coolant tube but am not sure about that.

I am happy that they make and support the aftermarket industry and make parts still for the MK1 focus. However, I have had to many "slips in QA" to recommend or try to buy another item.

Fair enough.. I really hope I don't end up with a rebuild on my hands due to that pulley...

MK2008 Coupe: Daily Driver, Basically Stock
03SVT: Racecar, Basically Stock
10SES: Basically Stock
Old 01-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Points 13,684, Level 76
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriFocal_Discord View Post
Fair enough.. I really hope I don't end up with a rebuild on my hands due to that pulley...
Hope so as well. The only reason I found the wallowed out issue was when I was trying to source my ticking noise on that motor. Which turned out to be a busted piston. But in doing so I had the timing belt off looking at the buckets and cams and saw that it was moving around in ways it should not.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

It sounded like they had not see this before. Unsure if other conditions could have caused it. But I would keep an eye on it. Since I am keeping the SVT as a DD and want to keep it as clean and stock as possible I wanted to keep the upper valve cover on. I do not have it on the ZX3 - Tick. So its easy to inspect on a regular basis if on that vehicle. With the timing belt all sealed up on the SVT the effort to check the timing pulleys on a regular basis is to much for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngotMK3 View Post
Congrats on the new daily, they never stay "stock" haha.
I know, already transferred my clear side markers over... Hahaha. Well with needing to do the Tick build that will likely take the disposable income for non-stock parts once I am done with the drivability stuff (control arms, suspension, etc)
Old 01-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
Fear the TurboSnail!

Fan#: 40342
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

Points 7,844, Level 59
Points: 7,844, Level: 59 Points: 7,844, Level: 59 Points: 7,844, Level: 59
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 13 UnFocusedST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Very nice.

Sent from another garage.
Team Duratec #17
Hatch Nation #17
Midwest Crew #55
Boosted Crew #118
Old 01-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #10
ninja lurker status

Fan#: 58277
What I Drive: Green-Eyed 2004 Black SVT #0461

Points 15,934, Level 81
Points: 15,934, Level: 81 Points: 15,934, Level: 81 Points: 15,934, Level: 81
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
FF Reputation: 11 SvviftSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
i'm jelly!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.