And then there were two - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 244705
What I Drive: 2014 Blue Candy Titanium HB

Points 39, Level 1
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 veraperezp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
And then there were two

I got a 2014 Titanium HB as new old stock, back in May and I love it to death.

And then the problems started: the kid refused to ride on his mom's 2008 Ford Edge SEL (bought used with 40k miles, she averages 5K miles/year on it), so there was daily drama. The AC on the Edge went into "goodbye cruel world" mode at the same damn time, so she started taking the Focus whenever it was too hot.

My son is 16 and in the autistic spectrum, he is very attached to the Edge, it is basically his limo and he was the one that picked it when we bought it. I was not amused at how quickly he switched loyalties.

Fast forward to late June, the Edge was due an oil change and we knew brakes would be up for service soon, so she took it to our dealer (btw, top notch people, they have always treated my wife as if she owns the place) and to my dismay it came up with about $3,000 worth of repairs and service between the brakes, AC, 60K service, etc. I am not even mad, and the car wasn't mistreated, it was simply too many things coming up due at the same time.

I told them they might as well keep the car as a trade in, between the bad loan on the car (reminder of bad days long gone) and the crappy fuel economy (made worse by the fantastic fuel economy on my Focus), it was time to move on.

While we negotiated, the Edge sat at the dealership for about three days. Three days of my kid complaining about what did I do to mom's car, why did I steal mom's car, mom's car is broken, etc. Nonstop. Same kid that wouldn't ride the Edge for a month because he liked the Focus better!

I knew my wife wanted a new Edge, which was absolutely out of the question, I simply couldn't afford it new. I tried to shoot for the Escape but it was a bit too rich, and she had already shown me that she was perfectly happy driving my Focus. I gave my salesman very simple instructions: find me a 2015 Focus Titanium HB, it has to match the equipment and options on my 2014, which basically means make sure it has Sync/MFT with navigation, since all Titaniums have the 300A package standard. I also told him no preference between the DCT and the manual transmission, we both drive stick and so far my DCT has been more of a learning experience than an annoyance.

He was able to produce, and between the more-than-halved interest rate, the doubled fuel economy (the Edge was struggling to make 14 MPG, the Focus gives me 25 MPG in lead foot mode, 30+ if I drive smoothly) and the prepaid maintenance the new car is costing me a lot less.

The specific model: 2015 Focus Titanium HB DCT, Magnetic with Medium Soft Ceramic interior.

My initial reactions: I don't like the new nose (I am the dissenting opinion, wife kid and mother in law all declared that the "new" car looks much nicer). The rest of the outside style changes are very subtle, but the nose is obviously a "well, Titanium means luxury, shove some chrome into it." I am also not too crazy about light leather.

The interior changes are very subtle, it took my wife maybe 5 minutes to feel at home, having already driven about 500 miles in mine. And no more arguments about the power seats!

The steering wheel buttons are different, they relocated one of the USB and 12V ports, the emergency brake handle is different. The cup holders in the center console are now in line, not in tandem. I don't see a problem since this is a DCT, but I would had been annoyed if it was the 5-speed because it reminds me of trying to shift a Miata with two cups in the cup holder, not very ergonomic.

The door locks are now at the doors instead of on the center console. There's no lumbar lever on the driver's seat, and there's an extra power seat button for the lumbar adjustment. The heated seats are adjusted in the AC console instead of with two little wheels by the cup holders.

In terms of functionality/equipment, I found a grand total of two things that my 2014 doesn't have:
  1. There's an access keypad on the driver's B-pillar
  2. The power seats have an eletric lumbar adjustment, while the 2014 has a lever.

She hasn't even "let" me drive it yet, I make a point that whenever we buy a car for her she has to do the test drive. I only rode this car during the test drive and I couldn't tell the difference in ride, I didn't even bother paying too much attention to the DCT since it only had two miles in the odometer. Still, I didn't feel any weird noises or jerkiness. After a couple of days she reports that she can't tell the difference either.

And yes, it's already due one recall, 15C06.

So here's my wife's new ride sitting along my 2014:

Bonus: First world problem! Two cars in the household with identical remotes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78166
What I Drive: 2010 ingot silver 2 dr 5 speed

Points 20,872, Level 91
Points: 20,872, Level: 91 Points: 20,872, Level: 91 Points: 20,872, Level: 91
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 7 badazz2010focus Good Standing Member
both remote start?
Old 07-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 244705
What I Drive: 2014 Blue Candy Titanium HB

Points 39, Level 1
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 veraperezp Good Standing Member
Yup. If you park them side by side and they are close enough, and you have both fobs, standing between the two cars can unlock them both simultaneously. The trick is to always park to the left of hers, so she's the one that gets annoyed when she walks to open the car and she hears the CLACK in stereo.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.