Project: Can't leave it Alone - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 11:30 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 193737
What I Drive: 2005 5 speed ZX3

Points 655, Level 13
Points: 655, Level: 13 Points: 655, Level: 13 Points: 655, Level: 13
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 2 cannaert Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Project: Can't leave it Alone

Short story of how I came to own my car. (You can skip it if you want)

So back in September last year I started looking for a car so I could save some money on gas and too stop putting miles on my truck. Owning a 96 F350 Gasser was killing me every time I filled it up. I was spending $70-90 twice a week to fill it up and it was get old fast and keeping me broke.

So I set out looking for car at the end of August. Only things I cared about for a new car where the following.
Minimal to NO rust ( Hard to find here in Michigan) and it had to be a Manual trans. I am was sick of Automatics and I wanted to keep other form driving my car.

So after looking around got a few weeks and just finding nothing but over priced junk I kind of gave up on the Manual trans and started looking at anything I could find in good shape. I then stumbled one on Craigslist.
2005 3DR Hatchback SES 5 Speed with 168k on it. The pictures of it should it in to be in good shape, Some dings on it not major body damage, a few spots of rust but nothing bad.

So I do some recherche and found this forum. So I do some reading on the motor and the car over all. So I then emailed the person to find out if it was still for sale and some more info in it. He emailed me back and said he still had it. Told me about the few issues, Came with some extra rims with junk tires on them and once in awile had a hard time starting. Told him I wanted to come look at the car and drive it.

So, few days later I drag my 10 year old son with me to go look at it. Drove the 50 minutes there got out, looked it over, started it up let it run and then took it for a test drive. Car went down the road straight, Stop just find, everything worked great. So my son tells me "Dad this car is YOU and you better get it" SO, I the Kid (I Call anyone younger than me that I dont know a kid) was asking $2,400 and I got him down to $2,000, Wish I could have gotten it lower but I was sick of looking for a car and this was the best one I had found for the price range I was forced to be in.

I put $140 down and came back a few days later and drove it home and been in love ever since.

Here it is just 10 minutes after I got home with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2015, 11:57 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Points 655, Level 13
Level Up 10% Completed
Forum Activity 22%
First mod I did to it was to pull out that dumb "Lifetime" Air filter witch I did. The end of October I ended up Building one out of the Spectrum air intake tube you can get at the parts stores. Lucky me, I work at O'Reilly Auto parts so getting this stuff was cheap, easy and fast set up. I had to ordered in the the MAF adapter pipe but it was there that day.
So I yanked out the old Non-Serviceable filter and put in my own. I got around and extra 25-miles on a tank of gas. Witch was better then I did when I drove it home.

Sorry for the nasty dirtyness of of the car, I try to not let it get this bad but being forced down some crappy dirt roads lately.

I did redo all the suspension on the car. I was shocked to see that it has the OEM shocks and Struts on it with as many miles as it has on it. So I threw some new parts at it and it made a world of difference. Also re did the front and rear sway bar links, and rear mounts, Damn thing clunked like mad on our lovely bumpy roads here in good old Michigan.

Next thing I had to do was to get some tires for it the ones on the car were all different brands and almost all bald. Ended up getting a flat tire well at home one day so I said F-it drove to Discount Tire and got some new shoes.

So I then had a starting issue with it all winter long. Started out as the normal Crank no Start but then got worse and worse as the weather got Colder and S***yer. I had to finely take it into the deal and have it looked at. They had it for 5 days before it was fixed. Best part was, I got a free rental, and it only cost me $180 to get it fixed. The guy worked on it for a few hours on his own time to find out what was wrong. I guess the Flash was not working right on the car and one of the Tech guys from Dearborn was called to look at it. So it was fixed and it was awesome to finely have a good Dear experience . (I don't do Dealers after working at two of them doing oil changes, Worst job ever).

Next thing I did was to get an exhaust system done. I was owed a favor by one of my customers that I deal with threw work. So I order in some 2.5 inch pipe, a Thrush Glass pack and a DynoMax racing muffle (super short resonator) Had it bent up and fulled welded in and the car sounds great. (Kind of Ricey but not really due to it being a full 2.5 inch form the Front cat all the way back.
I have a video but I trip in it and I look like a dumb ass for tripping. so I am not posting it.

Last edited by cannaert; 05-05-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:16 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Points 655, Level 13
Level Up 10% Completed
Forum Activity 22%
OK So now this is where I am at.
Picked up some EAP, Rims a few weeks back just got nice new tires installed on them and this is how it looks.

Yes I know it need to be LOWER, Well it will be. I have the springs sitting on my front pouch, Got them off here for a great deal. They are FRPP spring 1.25 inch drop. They should be going on the car this coming weekend if the waether hold out like they are say will.

Also scored a set of SVT rear Brakes form the local Salvage yard. Yes I lucked out big freaking time on this deal. Car was just pull in that morning and it was almost completely gutted, The inside was bare only thing they left was the back seat, The rear spoiler was on it when it came in and was sold less than a half hour before I came in to find parts for my other car I am trying to sell.
I shelled out $150 for them to pull the Hubs, Spindles, rotors, Calipers and Brackets (I forgot the dust shields there. on accident)

Went to work the next day and order Remaned Calipers. I tried to turn the rotors and the one came out great the other one was going great untill the bit gouged the hell put of the rotor. (The thumb screw was turning tighter to the rotor, the machine we have needs work). So I said F-it and got all new Rotors, Brake lines and parking brake cables. All that just showed up today and I will pick up well at work tomorrow.

But here are some picks of what I got done so far with the new brake parts.
I am going Orange and Black on the whole car so.
I used the Dupi-Color Silver caliper paint then went over it with the VHT Burn Orange engine paint. Really love how it came out.

All put together so I dont lose anything.

Last edited by cannaert; 05-05-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:41 AM   #4
Hammer Down

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 15,461, Level 80
Points: 15,461, Level: 80 Points: 15,461, Level: 80 Points: 15,461, Level: 80
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 83 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Can tell you're REALLY having fun fixing it up when a build Thread appears.

Car's looking good, all fixed up to work right & the mods. are starting to make it more fun as well!

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 05-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 655, Level 13
Level Up 10% Completed
Forum Activity 22%
Thanks sailor, Yea I do enjoy the car and after looking at it all winter and seeing the potential it had is when I said "I need to make it my own".

I just did not know what to do it until I picked up the rims. I always have found it hard to pick a direction on what to do to a car until you stumble across that ONE Part or Piece the truly guides you to right path,
Old 05-04-2015, 09:52 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Points 655, Level 13
Level Up 10% Completed
Forum Activity 22%
More new Rear parts goodies showed up.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #7
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 15,491, Level 80
Points: 15,491, Level: 80 Points: 15,491, Level: 80 Points: 15,491, Level: 80
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 71 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Great job on your project.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 05-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 130386
What I Drive: 2000 Autumn Orange SE

Points 8,867, Level 63
Points: 8,867, Level: 63 Points: 8,867, Level: 63 Points: 8,867, Level: 63
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 6 nboyles85737 Good Standing Member
Post the video of you tripping

Excited to see your Halloween car progress.
Sedan Revolution Member #288
the Broken Focus
Autox'er
Old 05-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #9
#datcardoe

Fan#: 145009
What I Drive: 2014 Hatchback SE RR DCT "Fiona"

Points 8,003, Level 60
Points: 8,003, Level: 60 Points: 8,003, Level: 60 Points: 8,003, Level: 60
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 86%
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%
FF Reputation: 4 Jburks Good Standing Member
nice man! my first car was a 2007 zx3. i loved that thing. I had a intake and 2.5 inch exhuast too. i wish i would have done the svt rear disc conversion, you definitely scored there! Those rims look badass!
cannaert likes this.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 197769
What I Drive: '12 Ford Focus MK3 SEL 5 door hatch

Points 399, Level 7
Points: 399, Level: 7 Points: 399, Level: 7 Points: 399, Level: 7
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 1 dnjnkns Good Standing Member
Love the paint on the brake components!!!!
cannaert likes this.

2012 Ford Focus SEL (MK3)
2009 Ford Edge Limited
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200L

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.