my unplanned build/repair... zx3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 146138
What I Drive: 2001 storm trooper ZX3

Points 406, Level 8
Points: 406, Level: 8 Points: 406, Level: 8 Points: 406, Level: 8
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 1337ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
my unplanned build/repair... zx3

To start off i am making this thread to keep track of what i do to this car just incase i sell it in the future. to much done in the first 2 weeks. My trans went out in my silverado again.(2yrs old fully rebuilt sapose to be "bulletproof"2/28) and i started my new job in a few days. When searching for a new"ish" car i had my must have items. 5 speed and get over 22 mpg. in comes the zx3 3/3. white 2door hatch. 2k Out the door at a stealership! but that was with tax tag title included in the price tag. and he was asking 2200 for just the car and fees of 750. but CASH IS KING!

felt like it had 50HP (my geo metro was faster. when it was factory with 53 hp.)

first problem fixed was the throttle cable. it was melted. 2nd day.

cable is from a wagon.

next up was the missfire. 4 cracked plugs would do it... 2nd day

then i had to Fix my door handle. 3rd day.

was hard getting

inside

fixed the dimmer switch. 3rd day.

i was hoping that was the end.... i was WRONG. 4th day it started leaking coolant.

all was fine for about 2-3 days.

untill click click click.... figured starter went out. went to get it tested. bad battery cannot test starter or alternator without replacing. so new battery. started fine so figured no point in pulling and testing starter. next morning. click click click... pulled starter it was bad. swapped it out.

then ofc that night battery light!!! yay go me!.

alt tested fine but it SQUEEKED nose bearing was Bad.
so new one of those... still havent bothered testing this out yet...

is the problems over

overheated on the highway. on my way to work 3/13. yay for a 2 1/2 mile walk to the parts store. gallon of antifreeze, 4 gallons of water, 3 hoses, clamps, and a flathead with a lovly walk back to the car to change hoses on the highway in rush hour traffic.
get it all changed and start bleeding the coolant(only adding water just in case this is my 3rd gallon of coolant at this point... figured i would put it in 3/14 after a flush.) good thing i didnt(no pics but Water pump leak )

bought the parts and figured i would do it in the am after i drop kids off at school. gives me 6 hours. also had ot buy torx sets for the random torx bolts EVERYWHERE!(first time needing them in YEARS)

.jpg.html]

and ofc the bolts were broken on the pump pulley.

while i was at it.

timing belt changed.

and guess what. harmonic balancer is Cracked...

also leaking oil from the pan gaskets

i didnt buy a timing tool kit. so i was treating it kinda like my many FWD cars i have done.

but i did make a "custom bar" for the cams 5 blades for my recip was the same MM as the opening. woot something worked!

got the timing done on the first try.

my timing belt cover is busted to pieces. it had only 1 bolt holding it in so ima get a new one from the junkyard...

even with not putting the cover on i only had 1 spare bolt? and i think it is for the motor mount plate for the engine.

gonna check when the car is cold.

things to still fix.

does not idle atall... iacv is messed up. gonna get a intake from a 2000 zx3 for the 1 piece unit also svt header to remove egr system completely. the pulleys. vc and oil pan gaskets. there is a clank if i "launch hard" or shift "hard" like a motor mount but they looked good same with the dog bone. gotta paint the scratches that were covered with White out... hood latch cable is messed up and ziptied. drivers seat has a lean to it. pass seat is missing the handle to fold the seat forward. pass seatbelt is missing the button to hold the clip up. radio is acting up... pushing the lil removeable part makes the issues go away. ordering a radio dash kit tonight to get rid of the radio. needs new tires soon... thats all the issues i can think of atm... i might of forgot a few repairs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Points 406, Level 8
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
as a update. yesterday 3/17 still idling like CRAP. and hissing from the intake area. while in the junkyard i found a 2000 zx3 hatchback and took the intake from it. 25 bucks for a piece of plastic... the tb was another 30 so i left that there. while i was there i cut the lock wires off also. came home and did http://forums.focaljet.com/mk-i-inte...-light-up.html while i waited for the car to cool down some.

i did it in under 5 min. and did it "my way" just replacing the metal plug piece. crimped a new one on and Done. gotta love my spare electronics bins... no pics but it is just like the link.

found these 2 links. did the seat belt one.
http://www.focushacks.com/mod/Seat_Belt_Minder_Disable

http://www.focushacks.com/mod/Adding..._Functionality
figured if i found one in the junkyard i would do it.

intake swap

old one out! its Seams are coming apart. all the seams were opening up. the egr tube from the 2000 was bent and twisted so i swapped mine on. man that locking ring SUCKED! Replaced the pcv hose connecting to the intake(used the one from the 2000) while i had it apart i put the uknown bolt in it was the one under the belt pulley.

3/17.
i took the lil one to school and the car was back to not idling.... Gayness hissing again. and random stals/reving out badly... stopped at the junkyard right by the school. and grabbed some Vacuum hoses. the pcv hose looked "new" writing was still there. no heat shield but it was "new looking" grabbed it. also grabbed the brake booster vacuum hose from a 2000. HARD to remove.

Also got new wipers...

While i was there i nabbed this! these are to easy to remove.

swapped it out and No idle issues... FINALLY!!!! only took 3 weeks and $1200 bucks lol CeL GONE!

on the drive home i got a text saying some of my order was delivered...
just the radio trim. and some led's its raining so i cant start my led plan... gonna light up the door handles. add puddle lights... blah blah blah. hopefully no rain tomorrow. and still waiting on my radio wiring kits... and some other lil nick nack things. i cant remember what all i ordered atm. but in the next few weeks i get rid of my stock radio. and the radio that is going in is a temp radio. until i sell my truck. then im going to be buying a DD touch screen with nav dvd bluetooth and able to read a Portable HDD! and buy more mdf so i can make a new box for my lil 12'' subs...
Old 03-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 3,477, Level 36
Points: 3,477, Level: 36 Points: 3,477, Level: 36 Points: 3,477, Level: 36
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
So rare to see a Cloud White ZX3. Glad to see it's being mended.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:44 AM   #4
Hammer Down

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 16,040, Level 81
Points: 16,040, Level: 81 Points: 16,040, Level: 81 Points: 16,040, Level: 81
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 89 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Been going through the whole list at once -plus a bit!

Good Work

White FL car looks so clean...

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 03-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 406, Level 8
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Its got a few dings and alot of paint missing... gotta find the color of the white. I dont thing advance sells cloud 9 white. But I could be wrong there. Small update tho. Radio wire kit came In today. Just need antenna adaptor And a new soldering iron. Mine grew legs and ran away in the move. Well my "craft box" ran away. Glue guns 3 diff irons for wood carving plastic welding and regular iron heat gun dremel with every bit attachment. And some other hand tools. So I cannot do my radio or my led projects atm. Gonna have to wait until next week. Foglight bulbs come in tomorrow (I love amazon prime 2 day shipping) 10 bucks for the pair. Rainx the windows. And gave er a bath now that shes running right. I have 100+ rust spots on the hood from chips tho.

Also I have done 150 miles and no CEL yet the wife drove and said WOW it runs so much better. But she doesn't like the intake noise now with the 2000 intake and resonator delete. But hopefully I can get a new iron and some wire soon. I have 100+ leds waiting to be my poodle and door handle lights.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 139745
What I Drive: 2004 silver svt

FF Reputation: 1 ranger024x4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
keep it up!
04 svt focus #1508
03 Ranger FX4 Level II 'twin stick'
88 mustang gt 5 speed
Old 03-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12862
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST2

Points 1,125, Level 18
Points: 1,125, Level: 18 Points: 1,125, Level: 18 Points: 1,125, Level: 18
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 chaz493 Good Standing Member
Seems that poor car had a long life of abuse, glad to see you are fixing the issues
Previous :2005 Blue Saleen focus #31- TRADED
Current :2013 Performance blue Focus ST2
Old 03-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 406, Level 8
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Well atm. havent done much today car wise. bought a "cheap" on sale soldering iron. was 3 bucks for a 30 watt... i got some 22 gauge wire for the leds also. picked up some resistors and some heat shrink and electrical tape. picked up some .99C spray paint for the bumpers as a iono if i will like it or not.(they need repainted anyway)

before

after

installed new Fog lights.

Cleaned the windows. use to have stickers. there was glue remains all over. also de-badged the hatch some.

Red car hidden in the background... waldo style.

removed the stupid gps thing.

and now

this is all i did today that i know of. gotta find the white in a rattle can so i can spray all the spots for now. and i work the next 4 days so dought anything else is getting done atm unless something breaks.(gotta get to work)

after i find out what white it is i will be painting the upper trim on the doors white also. gotta open up the headlights and reseal them. while im in there i might as well paint the chrome black or a gunmetal or something... undecided.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60954
What I Drive: 98 ZX2 / 01 ZX3

Points 652, Level 13
Points: 652, Level: 13 Points: 652, Level: 13 Points: 652, Level: 13
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Mellowness65 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Nice car - I also own a white 01 ZX3. Walmart sells touchup paint, it might be labeled oxford white but if you go by the paint code they're the same. I bought mine non-running needing a clutch and timing belt at 281k. Once you get it sorted out it'll be great. Mine's at 336 now. That clunk shifting is most likely the dogbone mount, I replaced mine because the rubber was cracked with a autoparts one, happened again, and again with a ford one, now I put a VF aftermarket mount under there and no problems since.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 127098
What I Drive: 2000 Black ZTS

Points 927, Level 16
Points: 927, Level: 16 Points: 927, Level: 16 Points: 927, Level: 16
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 2 br0cus Good Standing Member
Man this white looks great. Makes me wish I had white, black is just a pain to keep clean lol. Keep it up man.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.