Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Brichter14's Silver 5 Svt progression

7K views 80 replies 20 participants last post by  Brichter14 
#1 ·
Ok to start this whole thing off I will show you what I came from.

Ok so that's not my only vehicle but it was my daily driver. 1993 geo metro 3 cyl 5 speed. Got amazing mpg but had no ac or airbags.

These are my other vehicles that I use for play.

Anyways a few weeks ago I got mad at my metro because I found some frame rust and it was gonna cost me a few hundred bucks to get fixed. So I decided to post it on Craigslist for about 5 times what I paid for it just to see if there were any bites.

In reality I didn't really need it anymore because my commute is only 10 minutes one way as opposed to an hour before we bought our house. Anyways I ended up finding somebody who wanted to pay me entirely way too much for my 93 metro and I sold it.

But now what to get? I wanted a hatchback and have always liked ford as well as the focus. So I start browsing Craigslist for a zx3. Then I stumble upon some zx5's and immediately think that will be a bit more practical when my wife and I start having kids.

Then I starting seeing this model called the SVT. Owning an F150 I had heard of the lightning as well as the new raptor so I was intrigued. After doing some research I was hooked. I finally found one about three hours away in Chicago. These are the pics the previous owner took.

It is an 03 zx5 svt with 119k miles. It has the cold weather package with heated seats, mirrors, and block heater.

It starts but needs a new starter eventually. There are some random dents and such and the headlights were yellowed and foggy.

First thing I did was remove all the back/front window stickers as well as sand down and polish the headlights.

They are not perfect but they are better. Idk what I'm gonna do long run. Maybe replace them with some eBay halos or just deal with a less than perfectly clear lense.

I also took off the tails and did spray on tint.

That's all for now. Much more to come.

See less See more
#2 ·
You have the single best hid light for this car bro. They are made by hella in Germany. They are as good as you'll get lol. Polish em good and keep em. They go for upwards of 350 around here. In worse condition. Nice svt though! Just keep the lights!

#6 ·
Yah it is lowered a bit. I think the headlights have what is called the " Bambi" mod, which keeps the projectors and fogs on when I turn on the brights. That is pretty nice.

However they are projected a bit low for my liking and I couldn't find any adjustment screws. U guys know where they are located?

#9 ·
Nope it is all stock in the engine compartment a well as suspension to my knowledge except the obvious lowering.

I have big plans for it but need to get timing belt,water pump and starter replaced because there is no documentation on any of that being replaced. The guy did say that the guy he bought it from changed timing belt at 89k but I can't prove that.

#11 ·
The screws are on the top of the lights kinda. Search it on Google using ford focus Mach headlight adjusting. The screws are, with the hood.open, through little access holes in the radiator mount
Not hard to get at. Ofoc or something like that has a how to though if you Google search it.

#17 ·
maybe the bulbs are seated bad, or something. i doubt the lense or fog would do that. those lenses are pretty clear it seems from the pics. mine is at this after swapping in 5000k morimoto 3five bulbs,

I also plan on doing a zkw-r lense swap to get a more colorful cutoff, since the projector lens is a fresnel lens stock.
i'd make sure the bulbs are seated correct. they are wired right where the projector is low beams and high is both projector and reflector bowl, correct?

#20 ·
[welcome] to FF [ffrocks]
That is a damn nice SVT! Here is one of the best How-to's on restoring headlights:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245864

Under no circumstances should you ever get rid of the headlights, worst case scenario, just bake them and swap the lenses for new ones. I have sold a few sets of the Mach HID's and because of the quality and rarity of them, I have gotten upwards of $500 for a mint set. I do, however sorta regret giving them up, but I had my reasons and found the only aftermarket replacement that would be good enough to replace the Mach's with. Funny thing is, they are made by the same manufacturer! Ok, enough on your headlights, please keep it clean and keep as much SVT-specific equipment as possible. The aftermarket for the Zetec Focus has almost gone away(as far as new). You have a completly re-worked Zetec engine that has the best of everything, your header is the best, intake is the best, other things are as well, but I am too tired to talk lol So after you do your timing belt, please do research on any aftermarket mods. Unless you are going to do N/A build with boost in the future, the only mods I would do are the internals.

If I got to rambling on, I may have been drunk lol

#22 ·
though the restore kits are nice, be careful when using a drill as it could cause you to go too much and burn the plastic of the lights. i recommend sticking to man power alone. and using a bunch of grits, going as high up as you can grit wise. (i ended at 2500 but would go up to 5000 if i could find it). then use a plastic specific polish, preferably one with a UV protector so you don't end up re doing your work again in 3 weeks after it's been in the elements again. (hint hint, mother's power plastic 4 lights)

#23 ·
Well I just spent the past hour sanding the lights. I started with 400 then went to 600 then 1500. I finished with meguiers plastX. It still looks like crap. No use posting pics because it looks the exact same. I am starting to lean towards ebay HIDs. These Mach lights might be the Mercedes of lights but they are currently like a 1986 drug dealers merc.

I'm thinking about doing 600k in highs/lows/fogs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390555081698?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

On a different note. Is there a difference between a stock focus and an Svt's starter?

#33 ·
please dont get those headlights. believe it or not, the lights u have now, even in the current shape, are still better than those ebay crap lights with hid. i had a similar setup years ago before i got my machs and let me tell u, these machs are amazing when u get them right. if u have access to a electric polisher, i would strongly recommend that. i dont think i would have gotten the results i did without mine when i polished my machs. after sanding them down, use the meguiars plastx with the polisher and they will shine. also, get some protectant after u polish em or else they will go right back to being hazy and yellow.

edit: also, those bulbs look extremely blue. the higher in color u go with bulbs, the crappier the output of light.

#24 ·
I have an SVT starter if you need one. Also, if you want your lights to be mint, send them my way. Actually pm me and we can work something out. Please don't put eBay headlights in place of Machs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.