Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Tinted tails

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  svt1391 
#1 · (Edited)
Spent Saturday afternoon on these. Lmk what you think!

Just got my new suspension parts in last week. 1.5" drop coming next.

See less See more
#10 ·
Working on an SVT wing and rear bumper.

Already have an SAP front and Roush sideskirts. Once I get everything together I'll get them painted and installed. Probably sometime early next spring.

I'm glad you left the backup light clear, it looks better and it's significantly safer. I do agree to tint the third brake light as well. Also, I hate to be "that guy," but...NEEDZ MOAR LOW.

Edit: Just saw that you addressed this. Oops.
Lol. It's okay. Be that guy.

I had a choice between tinting tails or dropping it this weekend. I pulled off my tire to see how much of a PITA that rear lower control arm bolt was gonna be and I felt it start to bind up when I tried taking it out, so I screwed it back in. Decided to wait until I had a sawzall so I can cut the damn springs and remove them rather than mess with buying one or possibly two lower control arms.

Drop will happen in two weeks. I'll be sure to post up pics. [wrenchin]

what setup are you getting for a 1.5" drop man? that's what i'm looking to get eventually.
Originally I was going to go for the FRPP suspension setup. 1.5" drop, designed by ford, and only $320 shipped from Tousley for springs AND dampers.

However, I managed to score a really nice set of H&R sport springs from another member for only $65. So I bought the FRPP dampers for $140 and am going to see how it rides. Total cost will be a little over $200. Not bad.

#8 ·
I'm glad you left the backup light clear, it looks better and it's significantly safer. I do agree to tint the third brake light as well. Also, I hate to be "that guy," but...NEEDZ MOAR LOW.

Edit: Just saw that you addressed this. Oops.

#12 ·
VHT niteshades. They sell it at NAPA and on ebay.

It takes a lot of work to get it to come out right though.

I prepped, sanded, masked off the reverse, sprayed three coats of niteshade, removed the reverse masking tape, wetsanded, did four coats of clearcoat, then let them dry on my car for a couple days.

I wetsanded the clearcoat and buffed it by hand today. It's almost where I want it now, but think I'll go back over it with an orbital buffer and some cutting paste followed by polish and wax.

When I'm done they will be as glossy as my car's paint. But without all those steps it can look flat and kinda crappy.

#13 ·
Off-topic, but the rear springs aren't that hard. Jack up the spring seat, undo the control arm bolt, and lower the jack. Use a bunch of PB Blaster if you have to. I don't feel like cutting loaded springs is a good idea.

#16 ·
Man I wish it were that easy. I live in the rust belt. The bolts on the lower control arm are notorious for seizing to the sleeve and tearing up the bushing on cars that see winter use. You have to replace the whole lca if that happens. It happened to me on my 03 and it was a pita, and $80 per control arm.

My plan is to unbolt the upper control arm, damper, and rear sway. That should lower the control arm enough to relieve most, if not all, of the tension from the spring. Since I'm replacing the rear sway with an SVT one anyway, it's the same number of bolts. And yeah, cutting a loaded spring would be really stupid.

#20 ·
The way he did them is the only way it will come out looking right. I did the exact same process on mine and they came out almost as good as my explorer tails that were painted with actual paint. I seen them in person Sunday and they looked very good

#21 ·
Posted via FF Mobile
I love cheep modes like home made tails And head lights. Ive got a little boy and single income home so cheap mods with some effort i can do.

#23 ·
I only mod on the cheap and I research the hell out of performance mods before I buy. I get almost all my stuff used from the BST section here, but or on Craig list.

There's actually quite a bit you can do cheaply that makes a subtle difference.

I am thinking about doing a low budget mod thread with links to all the how tos.

Anyway here's the link to the how to I used. Pretty good writeup. http://montecarloforum.com/forum/pa...write-up-proper-vht-niteshades-process-23148/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.