Focus Fanatics Forum banner

EMAN44's official 2012 5 door progress thread!!

20K views 95 replies 31 participants last post by  EMAN44 
#1 · (Edited)
EMAN44's official 2012 Hatchback progress thread!!

Well Fanatics, I've come back to the forums and plan to stay a while! Many new guys might not remember me, but some of the older guys do. I used to own a 2003 Focus ZX3 that I drove through college, modded quite a bit, then stripped it and traded it off in 2008. Looking back, I should have never traded a car that was already paid off, but hey that's part of the learning process I guess. Here was my old ZX3 in all its glory...

I traded for a loaded 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5SE 6spd right before I went to basic training after joining the National Guard...

Got back from basic training and I could not find the job I was looking for and the crazy payments that I had gotten myself into had put me in a corner, so I traded for a cheaper car, a 2009 Scion xB 5spd. This car wasn't my first choice, but it was affordable and it began to grow on me. After I was finished with it, it was a cool clean and unique xB far out of the realm of neon lights and big sound systems and 20'' rims that most xB owners were into....

Then last year, my unit ended up getting mobilized and deployed to Afghanistan. I wanted to lower my monthly payments even more, and the fact that my wife could not drive a stick, ended me trading for a 2005 Infiniti G35 which I promptly slammed...

I got home safely from Afghanistan last month after a long hard year, and decided to reward myself and buy a car that I actually wanted and not just settle. I think my inside voice began steering me towards the new Focus, mainly because my 03 ZX3 was the last car I actually had a good time modding and had a lot of good times with. Another reason was because of this forum and FJ. After I traded my 03 ZX3, I went on other forums like nicoclub.com, scionlife.com, clubxb.com and g35driver.com, but none of those forums gave me the friends and memories like this one has. So in the end it was an easy choice for me...

So the Infiniti got traded in, my monthly payments got increased by a whopping $15/month and I got one of the lowest interest rates I've gotten so far at 2.9%. Ended up with a 2012 Sterling Grey 5 door Hatch, 5spd, sport package with 203A package. Got the car last weekend with 35 miles on the odo, and I already have over 400 miles on it.

Pics of when I first got it...

Got it home and off to the tint shop it went, 20% all around minus the windshield...

Had a crazy thought of maybe redrilling my old Infiniti 19'' wheels...

But I already found a buyer for them, should be selling them tomorrow so I'll have some cash for coilovers very very soon!!

Plans for my new baby:
Wheels/Tires:
18x8.5 +40 Voxx Maglia (gloss black) = $562 shipped from discounttiredirect.com
225/40/18 Federal SS-595 = $381.19 shipped from onlinetires.com

Suspension
KSport Coilovers = $600-800 shipped on ebay
Steeda Rear Swaybar Kit = $144 shipped from c-f-m.com

Performance
FSWerks Race Performance Exhaust = $501.35 shipped from fswerks.com
AEM Cold Air Intake = $254 shipped from wickedcarparts.com
Steeda Short Throw Shifter kit = $210 shipped from steeda.com

Exterior
Ford Focus Titanium black headlights = $250 shipped on ebay
3dCarbon Lip kit = $924 shipped from 3dcarbon.com

Anyways, hello again my Focus family, it's good to be back. Now when is the next Focus meet? [:)~]

Emanuel

See less See more
#4 ·
Posted via FF Mobile
Im a new guy on here so dont remeber u but nice story of the past cars you had. Also u got a nice lookin focus there.

#7 · (Edited)
So I sold the 19'' Infiniti wheels for a nice amount, now I gotta find where to buy coilovers from? Anyone know of a place to buy KSports? I heard Never Enough Auto up in Michigan has some fair prices, but I've never dealt with them...

Also went ahead and placed my order for the wheels. Talked directly to a customer rep at discounttiredirect.com and ended up getting a little bit of help in the form of a military discount, so my total shipped to my door price ended up being $512. Not bad for a decent looking wheel in a decent size/offset. I'm planning on running a 225/40 tire, which should have a tiny bit of stretch but not too outrageous. Should help out for when I'm slammed on the KSports...

Emanuel

#8 ·
Got my roof rack put on finally...Ended up using the bars, towers, and fairing from my G35, needed to get new Q-clips, and ended up buying a new bike mount and matching locking cores. Saved a bit of money, and spent a bit of money, but now I can carry my bike again!!

Oh yeah, on a side not...my wheels should be here on Wednesday!! I haven't ordered tires yet, can't decide whether to go with 225/40/18 or 235/40/18. I need to order my coilovers too, but I need to sell my project car first.

Emanuel

#9 ·
The UPS guy came by today and delivered these!!!!

18x8.5 +40 all around...still gotta get tires and coilovers, but the garage door on the house just decided to take a crap, so money goes there first. If I can find someone to buy my 86 200SX S12, coils, tires, exhaust, and CAI would be ordered in a heart beat...
My 200SX...

Emanuel

#11 ·
Not a lot of progress lately...my wheels are sitting pretty in my kitchen, but I still haven't gotten my tires or coilovers yet. I'm still waiting on someone to buy my 200SX so I can have some extra funds.

I did knock out a cheap and easy mod. Decided to paint my fog light bezels black and ordered some Lamin-X for the foglights. So after 4 coats of Plastidip and 1 coat of Gloss Black High Temp engine enamel and 2 layers of yellow Lamin-X, I ended up with this...

Also had a guy interested in trading his 88 BMW 735i 5 speed for my KA swapped 86 200SX, but I don't know if I'm gonna go through with it...

Emanuel

#12 ·
The fog lights and bezels look great!

That Bimmer is tempting, pretty cool. I would imagine a manual 7 series would be rare?

#14 ·
Allegedly only 200 1988 BMW 7 series with a manual were imported...I dunno though, not a bimmer guy...

dude, can't wait to see those wheels on
I know, me neither. Gonna get some funds soon so I can get my coilovers and tires...I had the cash ready to go, but spent around $400 to get my garage door upgraded and fixed, then another $1000 went to my black lab and some health issues she's been having. Every time I'm ready to pull the trigger on some parts, something unexpected happens! [sadpanda]

Emanuel

#16 ·
OK!! So I finally sold my 200SX and now have a little bit of cash to play with...I've already put a best offer bid for some KSports on ebay, if I can get the price of coilovers to under $800, I think I might have enough cash to get some other items after I get my tires.

I'm going to go ahead and order my tires on Monday, and I also have to look around for some lug nuts. Quick question for you 2012 guys with aftermarket wheels...did ya'll have your TPMS sensors rebuilt and install on your new wheels or just said screw it and deal with the tire light? I ask because I'm a little iffy about all the electronics on this new Focus and how it might react if I don't have the sensors installed on my new rims...

Other than that, if I can get the price of the coilovers down a little, I might have some cash to either get the Steeda rear sway or Steeda STS kit or MS3 RMM...don't know which I want to go with...

Emanuel

#17 ·
I ordered a second set of TPMS sensors and had them installed in my new wheels. Now both sets have the appropriate sensors and I don't get any lights.

#18 ·
Did you order from Ford and how much $$?

Emanuel

#19 ·
I bought them through the parts counter at work, about $140-$150 for the set. Your price may vary.

#22 ·
Update!! I've ordered and paid for some VMaxx coilovers. I got a great deal on them, and even though they are non adjustable in the dampening, ithey will be an upgrade over the stock suspension and it'll get me the low that I want.

Realistically, my car will never see a track as I do most of my performance driving in this...

Emanuel

#29 ·
Realistically, my car will never see a track as I do most of my performance driving in this...

Emanuel
OMGGG hahahaha this guy followed me to work today... [hah]

Anyways Eman we definitely need to get together cause our cars are really similar dispact the small fact mine is a 2011 and 2012 and they're complete different builds. BUT you're pretty much going the same road I went to when I started getting my mods into the car and what not and I've pretty much completed 80% of the things I need to do to it.

One thing that really stood out though is your suspension, you're investing a lot of money for Ksports c/o which are the ones I was going to get until I bought my H&R springs for $200 which I plan to use temporarily until I get c/o however I've had no problems with them so far and I put about 5000 miles into the car since I lowered it with a round trip to Miami and back.

Anyways I gotta let you hear my race exhaust in person since you're planning to get the same one I have so you can hear it before I get my header installed that way you'll be able to tell the difference and see if mayb you'd even go for the entire exhaust system with the header and flex pipe.

p.s. Glad to see you're back in the Focus family, and you're right about FF. I've been smurfing around other car forums and none are the same as THE focus fanatics. Great people, place, and website. I suggested more Focus Fest meets so we can all get the focus crew together in the same city for one week but you know how that it is. A lot of planning and expensive too. Hope to hear back from you!

Cheers,
~ Diego

#24 ·
Yet another update!!

Tires are ordered and paid for...went with the same tires I had on my xB. Federal SS595 225/40/18. They run a tad wider than most 225's and they are a great budget tire, far better than say Nankangs.

Also ordered some Muteki SR48 Neo-Chrome long open ended lug nuts to spice up the wheels a bit.

I should have the coilovers in the next day or so, tires by Friday at the earliest but Monday more than likely, and the lug nuts by the end of the week. Looking to have the car sitting right and on new wheels by Tues. of next week, then I'll have some proper photo's up...

Emanuel

#26 ·
WARNEEJ!! Wow, I haven't talked to you in a while! I do like the lip that Twenty has, but I don't think I can spend $450+ on the full C/F version that I want. Maybe if the price goes down a bit I guess. I'm waiting on the UPS man to get here today with my coilovers, but I won't have time to install them because I've gotten called back to work.

Emanuel

#27 ·
Awww snap...got these last night!

First impressions are that the build quality looks solid on these and while they don't have dampening adjustability, they should hold up just fine. I love the fact that they have the brake line and abs line mounts on the strut tube, something I know my KSports didn't have on my xB which resulted in me using zip ties to secure the brake lines.

I should be installing them in the next few days hopefully if work doesn't keep me busy.

Emanuel

#30 ·
UPDATE!! 10/03/2012

So the FedEx lady came by the other day and delivered my tires and these...

So I had tires and wheels stacked up in my kitchen, the wife finally told me they had to go, so I took the car to Discount Tire and got the wheels and tires mounted up and installed. I also got them to swap the TPMS sensors out of stock 16'' alloys to the new wheels. Here is the result...

Thought I show off how the wheels look like before I lower it. I have to work tonite and tomorrow night, but I'll knock out the coilover install on Friday if I can...

Emanuel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.