Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Infra-Red Focus RS replica/conversion build!

152K views 516 replies 123 participants last post by  sicskate 
#1 ·
well, I've been collecting and building(yes building) parts for about a year now, and I'm finally set to get moving on this project. I traded in my beater today for a brand new F150 so now I have a reliable vehicle to drive daily while I work on the Focus build. Starting life as a 2003 SVT:

I used to have a Euro facelift front bumper and 98spec rear bumper, with rieger lip up front.....but someone backed into the front end and it got broken to bits, so I put it through insurance and used the money to buy the last set of RS bumpers from Capaldi.

So then I had to start sourcing all the other parts. Scouring ebay.co.uk I was able to get the foglight bezels, brake duct vents, front indicators, and rear fog and reversing lights complete with bulb sockets. I got a splitter from Spudo, and a wing from Cayse. Then I hit a wall, not being able to find sideskirts or fenders and quarterpanels, I had to get creative.....

An opportunity arose..... a fellow member here doing an RS conversion had obtained a set of RS skirts that were damaged....I messaged and offered to make all the repairs for FREE, if he would just pay shipping to me and back with the aggreement that I would be allowed to make a mold of them....and to my pleasant surprise, he agreed!

So I still needed fenders and quarterpanels! About 6-8 months go by of me searching for these.....my gameplan was to obtain a set and make molds like PUMASPEED has in the Uk, they sell fiberglass replicas of the OEM panels for conversion purposes.....but then something incredible happened. I recieved an email from a member here, that he knew of a fellow up in British Columbia that had a complete set of molds (besides sideskirts.....weird, that's what I made!).....he had fenders, quarterpanels, and both bumpers molded from OEM stuff and was willing to SELL THE MOLDS!!!!!

I got in contact with this gent, and we negociated over numerous emails until we settled on a price. MAN, was I a happy camper! what a huge savings in time and energy not having to source panels, then make molds!

So here they are all unpacked:

bought a 50" wide roll of fiberglass, 80yards long to make all my parts

So I'm going to get started over the weekend setting up the molds and begin fabricating the front fenders and Quarterpanels, I figure I can have the front clip finished, painted, and mounted in the next week or two time permitting.....Then I'll have to clean out my garage and pull the car in to remove rear glass and start working on the rear quarters. I have a concept image I made in photoshop but I can't find it right now, I'll have to post it up later on......

Thanks for reading!

See less See more
#9 ·
I do plan to make more than one set of copies....

#14 ·
Hey I remember your SVT. You were the one dude that drove out to Columbus last year for Spring Into Focus right? This would make the third person I know with RS parts starting their build. One of which is almost complete and the other I haven't heard from in quite awhile. Are you going to change the color or leave it red?

#16 ·
yep thats me! I came down for SIF twice actually....

keeping it red for sure

#21 ·
don't get your hopes up just yet....haven't set any fiberglass in the molds....but these are my concept images I whipped up in photoshop....couple different wheel options...

Stock RS wheels, painted gunmetal (probably won't be able to get a set, and they are 18x8...I want wider)

17x9 SC replica Mustang wheels in 4x108

Other wheel I'm considering but haven't PS'd is 03 cobra reps in gloss black.....same basic 5-spoke pattern as the SC's, just they are slightly concave right to the enge where the SC's have a lip....so It's basically a decision on whether or not I want wheels with a lip/dish.....and the comparison against the RS stock wheels is sufficient to make that decision. Open to opinions on this as well....

#23 ·
took most of the front clip off.....I'm saving a step here becuase I previously already modified the steel bumper to fit the lower profile euro bumper :)

I'll get the sideskirts and fenders off sometime later this week.

#24 ·
Got the sideskirts and fenders off today, and confirmed my suspicions(sp?) that this car was in at least one wreck unreported to carfax....

Passenger fender is a Keystone replacement part....

#25 ·
Carfax and their clones appear to be less and less useful for determining minor collision history, as insurance premiums and penalties for collision damage repair continue to increase, many drivers pay for the repairs themselves, without reporting them to their insurance carrier. I have bought two cars from Carmax in the last six years, and have discovered, after the fact, that "clean" Carfax type reports notwithstanding, each one had evidence of collision damage repairs. But I digress, sorry. I'm subscribed, and await each progress report with great anticipation. I have a red SVT, and wish I had the time, money and dedication that you and other replica builders have shown to the rest of the Focus community. Thank you.

#29 ·
Thanks everyone....the build is going to bounce around alot becuase I'm simultaneously using this build to design/re-design some of these parts.....such as a CF splitter, RS-inspired CF wing (not exact replica, but based on the RS wing), CF foglight bezels, etc...

I'm going to be making the prototype for the splitter over the weekend and part of next week....I'll post up when I've done so :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.