Focus Fanatics Forum banner

pyroinsa's ZX5 build thread(sort of)

54K views 595 replies 36 participants last post by  katiekay 
#1 · (Edited)
I am going to use this thread to document the mods that I have done with my Focus. I first got the car at the end of 03 maybe the beginning of 04, not exactly sure. When I got the car it had a little less than 10,000 miles on it. Anyways here is what I started with:

2.0 Zetec, 16" alloy 5-spokes, moonroof, heated seats, tachometer, 6-disc CD changer, fog lights, e.t.c. The dealer even tinted the windows before I drove it home.

The first mod that I did was the stereo, I was stupid with this mod[facepalm]but don't regret it. I went to Best Buy and had a store credit card and maxed it out on the stereo. That was in the summer of 2004, at that time it had an Alpine 10" sub with a 600 watt power amp, 4 6x8 Alpine speakers powered by another 400 watt 4 channel amp, and the head unit is a Dual(I know, not the best) 7" touchscreen dvd player with an aux port for mp3 players and another aux port that I used for a PS2. Now it sits with a newer Alpine poweramp 8" Rockford Fosgate sub in the SVT enclosure, and of coarse Blue Led's:

Other interior mods include painted vent rings, seat covers, pink car seat for the kiddo, iPhone mount, steering wheel cover, Ford truck floor-mats

The next mod was painting and mounting the new rear. With the install of the bumper came the euro crash foam and retro fitted crash bar, blacked out tails with the AVS covers, and the magnaflow exhaust:

After that, the Focus sat for another year while I did my last deployment. When I came back I got into an accident within a week, happened when a careless driver ran a red light. She had no insurance and I had liability so I did the quick fix with a bra and new headlights:

Then came the 17" Konig hotswaps with Falken 205/45Z/R17 tires, and a Billet grille:

After that, the next mod was fixing the damage from the accident, I needed a new bumper cover, and passenger fender. I could not locate the euro bumper that I wanted after shopping around I decided on these: the Pro-Dtm bumper and new fog lights wired into the factory harness and the Vis Racing Laser fenders:

Next I added the TFB Designs side stripes, niteshaded the third brake light silver, removed the AVS tail shades, painted the mirror caps and installed the euro rear taillights:

For the most part this is how my Focus sits today:

Engine bay:

Mod to engine are K&N drop in filter, resonator delete(Not in pic), painted battery cover and fuse box cover, not sure what kind was done with stereo install but a higher watt alternator, just recently new Autolite double platinum spark plugs.

Thanks for looking(and reading if you did lol)

New mods include SVT spoiler, doorhandles and sideskirts.

See less See more
#4 ·
haha the ol' mx3. a buddy of mine had one with a horrific fiberglass body kit in bright lime green sparkle, it was a pos. but i like what you did with it. good work. i like the euro rear end. i've never seen that on a 5 door. i think you should drop it a little. :p

#11 ·
I think you are headed in the right direction with the euro parts. However, the other parts clash. I would ditch the konig's, billet grille, and possibly the headlights. I would look for a euro front grille, black svt/euro headlights. I think the sidestripe coming out of the fender vent was a good idea but it really clashes with your body lines.

#14 ·
After I saw cdsilver02's one-off grille, thats the one that I really want. i don't know why I didn't mention it before. I thought the side was to plain so after the stripe I realised it messed up the bodylines, can't order another to put it lower. I am trying to save up for some big ticket items like lowering it, don't really want to nickel and dime some more little things like that right now.

Yeah I know that I've done some things without thinking them through, hopefully it'll be right someday. For now I might paint the inserts on the wheels silver to match the car better. Really thinking about EAP's, like on zx3_bmxrider's, but everything is on hold until I get the damn thing lowered lol

I still have my stock headlights and was thinking about painting the housings black and installing an led light strip in those, I mainly like the headlight that I have now just for the led light strip.

Keep the ideas coming! I just don't want to go all euro, I love the front bumper that I have, but I am not so sure anymore of still looking for a euro to replace it, they just look a little too sucked in to the body.

#12 ·
i'll be honest, i'm not a fan of the billet grille. i think you should go with the euro grille since you probably already have signals in the headlights. and now that i think about it, i think you should go with a different style of headlights. i'm not trying to rip on you, i think sixshooter has a point about how they clash. i'm not sure what euro headlights look like, maybe get those, or just try something different.

#15 ·
Thanks man, I am open to any feedback it'll probably always be a work in progress, but I think before I do any more exterior mods, it's really time for me to work on the suspension and engine, I like the euro grille and headlights, they really make more sense on the Focus, just wish Ford didn't go all cheapass on the U.S.

One day, though some of the outside will change again, I'll post updates to as this thread goes along...

#13 ·
there is nothing wrong with the headlights.. they're nice, not many people like them but that's cause not everyone has them. they're better then the halos everyone else has got, and yes Machs are nice, but IMO way to expensive for some headlights.

I love the car as it sits, the rims don't flow as perfect as some multi spokes would, and euro grilles are nice.. remember one thing tho, its your car, do what you want! :)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

#29 ·
So the ignition cylinder locked up on my car today. Apparently after reading through some of the threads on this, it is a common problem on the 1st gen's. The Ford dealership in my town will replace it for $200. If you want it fixed cheaper you can buy this: RockAuto.com -- Part # - SW6285 -- $76.79 and fix it yourself. Or if you want it cheaper than that and if you have roadside assistance on your policy, you can have a locksmith do it(the locksmith that I am using is charging me $95) and have you insurance reimburse you.

So I am having it fixed for free, the best part is that I don't have to wait to get the rockauto part in the mail.

#31 ·
nice car. i like those headlights, almost got some myself, but stuck with my mach's. [grinking]

#42 ·
Now I know that I said that I wasn't going to keep spending money on little stuff, but I got this at the junkyard with all the matching woodgrain door trim peices to for $2. I kinda like it the way it is, but I'm going to paint it and the trim gloss black.

#45 ·
I might have to go back for the leather inserts to make it look right, too bad the leather seats were gone, I might have gotten those too. I only assume it had leather cause of the woodgrain and door inserts

#55 ·
So I went ahead and painted those trim peices that I got silver, I was going to go black, but they stood out way to much.

It's got a slight overhang, don't really know how that happened but I am happy with the way they turned out for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.